First attempt at Sceniking

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Using Charlies excellent tutorial, Thank you VERY much Charlie, I have taken another 'first' modeling plunge today. Here are the results, kinda ugly but I learned ALOT. Like mix your colors better, that one brown is kinda too red. Mix some dirt and dry leaves in with ground foam, I was just impatient and once I started I could NOT stop!! I just kinda went at it and well hopefully the mext effort will look better.

Here's Charlie's tutorial:
Eastern Hills and Woodlands from Foam

Here's my neophytelike result:

Attachments

• sceniking tutorial.jpg
    sceniking tutorial.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 281

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Aart, that's really great. I can see why you couldn't stop! .. it turned out super at every stage of making it! :)

hehehe, it can be so habit forming it can make one take up geology just to learn more about rock formations and their colours.

You have achieved the three ingredients which makes a model RR ... Colour, Contour and texture. Well done, now then, when does the mountain and tunnel get started on? :)

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That really looks GREAT, Ima!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
I think it's an improvement over mine!
:D :p :D
It is addictive isn't it?
The great thing is ...you can't really mess it up!
If something doesn't look right, just slap some more stuff on it!
Have fun!

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
For a first scenery project, that is VERY well done. A good blend of rockwork and ground cover with a nice mix of color.:cool:
Looks like you are a natural at it and as you continue working with your scenery, you will develope your own unique methode and style which will allow your scenery to stand out:).
Happy Modeling!

Terry

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Thanks everyone for your kind compliments and encouragement. :)

I was having a real hard time getting started on anything, I'm fair at execution once I get started but have a hard time coming up with ideas and of course I've never done this type of modeling before.

I stumbled across Charlies tutorial in an old thread while searching the forum for...I don't remember which keyword I used that time, lol.....his simple step by step from raw foam to groundcover what EXACTLY what *I* needed!! I just kinda copied it and now I have a feel for what works and what doesn't, and nothings better than a little hands on experience. :D

Now I have a much better idea what to do on my diorama, which I'm doing for practice before doing anything to dads old layout and just for the pure joy of modeling!! You can see part of the diorama in the pic, behind the sceniking experiment. It will have a mountain with a tunnel, some water with a bridge and who knows!?! what else I'll add before I'm done!

Again..Special Thanks to Charlie for putting together his tutorial ;)

This tutorial should be in the archives. Hhmm I will email... hhhmm maybe Shamus? to add it there.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Charlie will have to post it first, with photographs & Text, then it can be moved by Dave Hagan to the Academy/Archives.

Shamus

C

Catt

If this is your first time,your gonna be teaching us old pros :D :D :D :D a thing or two about scenery before to long.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
But Catt...you old pros is where I learned in the first place ;)

Hey Charlie...If you want me to I can set up the post and text in the general forum for Dave to move to the Academy..but first I think you need to fix one of the photos--it's very small on the webpage.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi aart,
Hi Ima,
Hi Tomboygirl,
(how would you prefer to be called ;) :) :D ?)

Congratulations! You have absolutely no reason to call your work 'ugly'!

IMHO you have a natural talent to model the cracks and faults of the rocks in a most realistic way. The same goes for the coloring - not only of the rocks, but also of the red and yellow colored 'flower patches' in your vegetation.

Now I'm REALLY looking for more of your work - if you go on this way, your layout scenery must turn out just terrific. Share it with us, willya?

Ron

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
"Kinda Ugly"?

Originally posted by aartwmich
"Here are the results, kinda ugly but I learned A LOT. "

Sorry, aartwmich....I see NO ugliness at all in your work. If your goal was "kinda ugly", I'm afraid you've failed miserably.:D
If your goal was some cool looking rockwork, then pat yourself on the back.:) I cannot wait to see more. Nice job!