First Amature Layout

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
lookin good so far,it looks like you weathered the track,correct?but looks damn good to me,keep postin ppics i love seeing people work on layouts and different approaches to things.--josh

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
bigsteel said:
lookin good so far,it looks like you weathered the track,correct?but looks damn good to me,keep postin ppics i love seeing people work on layouts and different approaches to things.--josh

Nah... just threw some paint on it. I cleaned up the rails after but I still have some sticky parts that I have to clean off. I just fininshed wiring the reverse loops and they work great. I have a couple of gaps I need to address but they're no problem.

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
TruckLover said:
WOW, that track looks great how you did it, I like the color, what did you use.

I want to do that when I start my next layout, the full room double decker lol

Used Floquil "Rail Brown", whick looks more Olive Drab than anything else. It actually sort of grows on you though.

Full room... That sounds soooo tempting. I have already figured on expanding down the back straight of the layout. I wanted to bring it up and over into some mountains but I think I will bring it up and out onto another bench (that's another day).

I wish I had more room but I still have a fridge and a futon (sp) to get rid of, plus the two motorcycles take up alot of space.

Thanks for the praise!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
sign1 I always like to expand were I can, this expantion is just a lil bigger, ok ALOT BIGGER sign1 sign1

How did you apply the floquil paint? With a paint brush or an airbrush? It kinda looks like you sprayed it on using an airbrush or staright outa a spray can

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
TruckLover said:
How did you apply the floquil paint? With a paint brush or an airbrush? It kinda looks like you sprayed it on using an airbrush or staright outa a spray can

Lightly sprayed from the small can. I should have used something to protect the base but I figured I was going to cut drainage into it any way. The paint almost did the work for me.

I have seen your progress. it looks good.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Thanks, I didn't know they had floquil in cans, I will have to look for it next time I go to the LHS, probly should get a few cans cause I am going to be doing 2 levels of HO track and a N steel mill using them lol

I think that is turned out great and should look even better ballasted!!

Thanks for the compliment to, I TRY sign1 This is my 2nd layout that I have done, this next double decker full room, I am going to spend a ton of time on each section making sure that everything is good and up to my standards, which are pretty high lol. I am very exited to start this next one!! Thanks again

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
TruckLover said:
I think that is turned out great and should look even better ballasted!!

I think mine will too after ballasting and adding hills/mountains.

Unfortunatly I suffer from the same infliction that most of us do....

Lack of spare time...

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Looking Good Jeff! I'm at about that stage too, only the Wood IS my base...I'll use the foam for larger landforms. Looking like alot of fun, espically with that Fantastic P2k HO SD45! (I think..) I can't wait to see more, and once again(!) MANY thanks for heading out to Perris for the photographs, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :)

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
MilesWestern said:
Looking like alot of fun, espically with that Fantastic P2k HO SD45! (I think..)

Very close hehehe.... It an Athearn. I picked up two un-numbered Southern pacific a few weeks back. Great price and the detail on them are excellent. I have the decoder in one of them and it purrs around the track. I'm using it right now in order to find the troble spots on the track, i.e. paint on the rails and gaps...

No problem about the perris thing. It gave me and my little girl an outing at the rail museum.

:)

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
Looking to do something like this... maybe extend the length and height of the mountain/hill range.

3122007-9.jpg

3122007-8.jpg

3122007-7.jpg

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Wow, that's actually kind of interesting how the black actually looks 3D where the "tunnels" are...Weird.

Anyways, nice! I can't wait until I get my layout started!

My problem isn't lack of spare time, it's lack of money...

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
Spawn of Chaos said:
Wow, that's actually kind of interesting how the black actually looks 3D where the "tunnels" are...Weird.

Anyways, nice! I can't wait until I get my layout started!

My problem isn't lack of spare time, it's lack of money...

I didn't notice that at first but you're right. I didn't have a lack of money up until I bought my new bike. Now I have very little time (wife), and very little money...lol.

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
jambo101 said:
I knew you had that problem covered some how..
Those black tunnel sections really stand out,is that photo shopped??

Just use MS Paint's polygon feature and then filled it in.

I have the three tunnel sections planned and haven't decided wether to run the back straight behind the mountain or run it into a tunnel. I do know that the mountains will have to be mostly hollow to fix derails.

I think I will run a spur (switch already laid) at an incline up the back straight and up, above, and over the duel tunnel in order to expand outwards. I'm sure that 15 ft should be enough to bring it up without any problems. Alas, that is for the future. I have to finish what I've started first.

3122007-12.jpg