First 0n30 scratchbuild

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well I have taken the plunge and scratchbuilt my first 0n30 climax body. still needs weathering and some more details adding but all in all she is finished. I only have one 0 gauge person at the moment. It was all I had to go with as far as scale. Not abit like making something in H0, still thinking H0 when I was making it and had to re-adjust my brain to 0.

Shamus
0n30clim.jpg

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Ah Paul, a fine piece of workmanship. As usual, you give us something to strive for. I think you will enjoy the On30 size. Question, is that a powered unit? I would be interested in seeing an underside view.

Greg Elems

C

Catt

Yes Paul,fess up.Is that little beauty powered inquiring 0n30 modelers want to know.:D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay guys, yes it is powered by an old shay chassis, but the chassis still works. I took this chassis to bits some time ago and cut off the coupler pockets so it would fit into a brill bus I was making, but never ever got around to finishing it so the chassis has been sat in a draw just waiting for this climax body to be made.
Shamus

Attachments

• clapout1.jpg
    clapout1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 309

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Just what we expected from you Shamus. I am really ignorant about 0N30. What is the gauge of the track? I presume it is supposed to emulate the prototypical 2 foot gauge that a lot of loggers used.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Robin
0n30 represents "0" gauge "N"arrow gauge with a track width of 30" (2'-6") Hmmm, next scale should be gauge 1. then 1 to 1:rolleyes:

shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Jon, Bugfoot not arrived yet :D try me next week:D:D

Robin,
I find it amusing to model in 0n30 as apart from the track width staying at HO gauge and the ties (Sleepers) abit wider, the size of the people are gigantic. More details go into area's never even seen before:D

Shamus
waver.gif

C

Catt

Paul,welcome to the world of 0n30.If you think 0 scale people are big after playing with HO for so long just think about me.N scale folks are about the size of 0 scale babies.:D

JeanDagenais

Apr 9, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Hello Paul,

I like it very much. :D It's very interesting to see the changes from the intitial picture to the last one.

Does the frame is in wood?

What do you use for wheathering?

What kind of tracks are you using for HOn3? Peco?

Thanks,
Jean

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by JeanDagenais
Hello Paul,

I like it very much. :D It's very interesting to see the changes from the intitial picture to the last one.

Does the frame is in wood?

What do you use for wheathering?

What kind of tracks are you using for HOn3? Peco?

Thanks,
Jean

Hi Jean,

Yes the frame was made out of wood strips and glued together.

For weathering I used chalks, grey & black for this model and rust for the roof.

The track is Peco 0 gauge- 16.5 (H0 track width) which is called narrow gauge

Cheers
Shamus
waver.gif

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi Paul,
The Climax looks great. I look forward to seeing more as you build it. I am mostly into the larger scales (O, S and G Gauge operating layouts). I am building a operating wood kit for a late Class A Climax (practicaling kitbashing as the instructions really @*#!). Do you know what color/s they were originally? Here is a link to a guy scratchbuilding one and it has a prototype picture of the version I am building. I will post pics when there is some thing to see of mine.

www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13946

Also, Arttista Accessories makes some great pewter people and animals in O and S gauge. You can get them painted or unpainted, I have dozens of them myself. Also, check out Gold Coast Station for some great prices on Bachmann On30 equipment. If I remember correctly, they had the Shay for around $160 US at the last show I attended. Links to websites for both below. Steve

www.arttista.com

www.goldcoaststation.net