Fireball XL5 model project

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by peter taft, Sep 22, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Didn't get to start work today, but things have progressed well!

[​IMG]

Foundthis site: http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/xl5.htm which has a wealth of lovely detail to work from! Rocket pods around the tail next on the build list, followed by some texturing!
  2. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

3. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Oh very very nice. Can't wait.
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

We are into day 2 of the project to build this, and things have got colourful! Boosters are on and the rear section just needs the lumps and bumps on the lower side to be ready. Tail and wings have some internal structure to give support. Depending on the final scale of the build, I expect this to be either essential or a good idea! Had to do some careful mirrorong to get all the XL5 logos the right way round and the right size and spacing. Fiddly...but I am happy with the results.

She looks like this now.

[​IMG]
  5. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

looking real good flare good work mate :thumb:
  6. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I have a habit of going abit crazy at Halloween with cardstock costume challenges for my lads. About three years ago, right after we got the Fireball box set, my oldest wanted to BE Fireball XL-5 for Halloween (not Steve Z, not Robert...oh no...he wanted to be the rocket). So after about a week of frenetic late night building, I pulled one out of my hat. Here are a couple of pictures of it I dug up. It lasted well over a year beyond that as they played with it with their "guys", but it was not very successful as a Halloween costume. First of all, nobody knew what the heck it was in our community (sadly too few Anderson fans around here), and worse, it had a tendency to slip down around his waist, with the heavier front end pointing down. A few people just started laughing hysterically 'cuz it looked like my 3 year old was walking around wearing some kind of a massive gray strap-on. Once I realized what it looked like, I couldn't stop laughing either. Oh well. Lesson learned.

My other son got to wear a cardboard bulldozer.
  7. Gixergs

Brilliant!! the best we get here on Halloween is a teenager wearing a bin bag with a white face demanding money!.
  8. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Hey Peter and Flare, sorry...didn't mean to pull this off topic. Your model looks fantastic, and i can't wait to build it. Will the textures be pristine, or will you do a little "dirtying down" like they did with the model for the show?....just curious.
  9. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Gixergs ... you live in a posh area! Round here, they don't wait till Halloween to come round masked and demanding money!

I still reckon the best ever halloween costume I ever put together was a Ghost Busters outfit. You would not believe the fun that can be had with a backpack super-soaker 'ghost busting' on halloween!
  10. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Why not?!?! I have resin kit of the XL5 and that is exactly what I did. It would be even simpler to execute in paper. The effect is so absolutely cool.
  11. Gixergs

Strood, so posh they take their shoes off when they do your house over. They don't restrict themselves to Halloween here but they do like to make an effort for the holidays, Christmas they spray artificial snow in your face as well.
  12. peter taft

peter taft Guest

Xl5

Hi Flare. Nice work you're doing there on XL5 ! Can you please tell me what Program you are useing to do this ? I used to use CAD many many years ago when the instruction MANUALS were bigger than the program itself ! Regards. Pete.:wave:
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Hi Peter,

I do all my modelling work on Lightwave. I got introduced to it after messing with Max at Night-school and finding it not to my liking at all. Still using an older version ( no funds for an upgrade ) which does everything I want very well indeed. Love it's UV mapping, and it's layered appraoch to booleans. also brilliant is it's 'stencil' function. If you want to lay a part onto a curved surface you can use it like a cookie cutter to cut into the surface.

The instruction manuals have not got smaller....they just put them on disks now! I think the zipped up version available for download was 27Mb. Around 1200 pages...I expect the current version is bigger!
  14. peter taft

peter taft Guest

Re CAD

Hi Flare. That sounds just the job! I've heard of Lightwave but never used it. When i used CAD i think it was Ver 2 or something, and Widows 3.1 had just been released. I built my 1st PC just before then an ran the CAD in DOS {Those were the days - NOT}, although it was great fun developing things then cos there was so much that needed to be done - it's all in your face now {good in one way i guess}. You are doing a fantastic job of Fireball, and i look forward to the completed version, are you going to do a build for SPACE CITY to stand behind XL5? that would be cool with plenty of depth. Regards. Pete. :thumb:
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I'll think about hte background when I have 100% decided onthe size of hte final build! If it's ( as I think it will be ) around the 18" length, then I might do something simple as a display. I am also thinking of doing hte launch sled as a stand.

First, though, I have to get the model finished and start the unfolding! Mind you...the rest of the modelling is the easy bit.

One question for the experts....the vertical thrusters ( black holes on the underside ) ... how recessed should they be?
  16. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I'm no expert, but I'd say go simple and stick with black hole spots for vert thrusters
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Probably a good idea. I will do it the same way as I am doing the portholes. Cut out the circle and glue a flat piece inside before rollinghte fuselage tube. That way you have a recess there without the need for complex building.

Nearly ready to start unfolding this one.
  18. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Progress :)

The mesh is just about finished, and I am ready for the unfolding. The plan is to make 'junior' a seperate entity, allowing the builder to either glue it together as one, keep it as 2 parts, or to fix magnets in etc. to make it detachable. Still need to do some detail work on the cockpit, and then think about dirtying up the textures!
  19. Gixergs

HI Pete and FlareBaffled Just wondering how the Fireball projects are going?.
    Cheers Gix
  20. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Mine is sort of on hold until I finsih the ISD .... then I will get back to it