Finished my "Ten Wheeler" project.....

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Here's my Spectrum 4-6-0, just after the installation of a sound decoder. She doesn't look any different on the outside.... but she sure can "sing" now !

Bob :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3348.jpg
    IMG_3348.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 265

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice!! I'll PM you my address so you can send it over...! ;) :D

Seriously though - that looks like an "undecorated" - I have been looking for one of those (or, preferably Canadian National) for a while now. Where did you find her?

Andrew

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Andrew,

I heard that Bachmann is going to make these in "N" scale. The one in the photo is Spectrum model # 82301 (4-6-0.... painted, but unlettered, with the low boiler, and 52" drivers). They also make an unlettered one in a "high boiler model, with 63" drivers (model # 82307). In the HO scale "Ten Wheelers"... if the buyer opt's for the low boiler model, you get the loco with a very small tender that is a major problem when you install a sound decoder.

I hope they do produce one in "N" scale.... it sure would be a honey !!!

Bob :thumb:

I've been waiting for a long time for these in N Scale, since back to my previous Muddy Creek railroad layout of 15 years ago, which was based on the Ulster & Delaware, a shortline that simply adored ten wheelers. I think that's why the layout flopped; no ten wheelers.

The current Muddy Creek runs through the Adirondacks and the ten wheelers that the Central acquired from the U&D will be assigned here as soon as Bachmann gets off their butts and releases them.

Any day now... Any day now....

Wayne

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Wayne,
I checked with Bachmann and the answer is that the N scale Ten-Wheeler is not on the 2005 list... SORRY ! (It sounds like an availability problem with securing a small enough motor)

Bob :(

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Iron Goat said:
Andrew,
I checked with Bachmann and the answer is that the N scale Ten-Wheeler is not on the 2005 list... SORRY ! (It sounds like an availability problem with securing a small enough motor)

Bob :(

Thanks ok, 'cuz I am looking for the HO scale ;) It was Wayne (Muddy Creek) who was looking for Nscale. So anyway, if you'll just box 'er up and send 'er over... :D

Do you have any news on the HO scale undec? They seem few and far between :( Also, I am not entirely sure if I need the low boiler (52" drivers) or the high boiler (63" drivers). I would like one that is appropriate for Canadian National in the 1930s.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Andrew,
I bought mine through the LHS, and didn't have any problems with "supply". At present I am waiting on some Montana Western Railway custom decals for my unlettered model....(and then I need to "weather it", too). Are you considering a sound decoder when you get your CN "ten-wheeler" ?

Bob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Bob,

Got your email - thanks! I have some of Ian Wilson's "Steam..." book about CN in Ontario in the 1950s. I need to take a closer look... I am currently in the middle of installing a sound decoder in a P2K 0-6-0 - lots of fun, and I can't wait to hear it :D However, given the cost of the loco plus sound, I will only be adding one of these a year :( Next on my list is the 4-6-0 though.

Who is your LHS, and what is their asking price? Do they have CN, and/or undec?

Thanks again.

Andrew

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Andrew,

Sorry, but according to Bachmann's listing I did not see a CN "ten-wheeler". My LHS is: MainLine Trains, 807C Main Street, Blue Springs, Missouri 64015 www.mainlinetrains.com

They do not have any in stock, but they could probably order an unlettered one for you....

Bob