*Finish* Willys Jeep, Modelik Nr. 10/02, 1:25, Special Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_91

The next step was the dashboard. I did some detail works again. The frontrings of the instruments were made of solder again. One of the big advantages of solder is it's softness, it's easy to cut it off even with a sharp knife and easy to shape.

bild91a9kc.jpg

The instruments were printed mirror-inverted to transparent film, after this I sealed the printed side with white color and glued the other side behind the dashboard. At the glove box there are three labels, made of aluminium with black printing. The solution of the kit for theese was to simple for me (3 light grey rectangles). So I took a picture of the original labels, correct them to the right perspective and dimensions, print them with a laser printer to overhead film in high resolution (2400 dpi), cover them on the backside with thin aluminium foil, cut it out and glue them in place. To reduce the high gloss I used same colorless flat paint.

bild91b2sm.jpg

The colors of the pilot lamps are the result of fantasy, but I thought that a blue one for the upper beam, a green one for the blinker, two red ones for oil pressure and ignition as soon as a yellow one for differential gear blocker is not so wrong.

bild91c2yf.jpg

greycat

Jun 21, 2005
Israel
An art work of superb quality.
Having this model in my stock, this thread will be used as an ultimate reference.
How did you make gearshift covers at their basements?

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
greycat said:
An art work of superb quality.
Having this model in my stock, this thread will be used as an ultimate reference.
How did you make gearshift covers at their basements?

Hello greycat!

For the gearshift cover I don't use any special procedures, it's made just of paper out of the kit. I have only completed the plate rivets/bolts with some punched slices of bristol cardboard. The rubber bellow is made of a long triangle of thin paper, rolled around a pin.

Kindly regards
Josef

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Too much progress for me to quote anything. But this is phenomenal. Although I have not built any wheeled or track vehicles, the techniques that abound in this thread are definitely worth the read.

Brad

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_93

The next step in the construction manual were the tires. First I build the spare wheel as a test for mounting and fitting accuracy. The result was not overwhelming, because the tire looks quite chiseled. For the production run I will change this.

bild93a1bp.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_93

The next step in the construction manual were the tires. First I build the spare wheel as a test for mounting and fitting accuracy. The result was not overwhelming, because the tire looks quite chiseled. For the production run I will change this.

bild93a1bp.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_94

The rim was made of a lot of parts and many small punched slices.

bild94a1ig.jpg

This time I used the rims and tires as seperatly parts.

bild94b0qh.jpg

The side frames of the tires are flat frustrums - how to mount them to the even side frames of heavy cardboard was a riddle for me.

bild94c8jg.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_94

The rim was made of a lot of parts and many small punched slices.

bild94a1ig.jpg

This time I used the rims and tires as seperatly parts.

bild94b0qh.jpg

The side frames of the tires are flat frustrums - how to mount them to the even side frames of heavy cardboard was a riddle for me.

bild94c8jg.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_95

Now it was time for some experiments. First of all I used my old airbrush to wet the flat frustrums (side frames of the tires).

bild95a3fo.jpg

After this the wet slices were squeezed very strong with a pressing block and a piece of glass against a felt pad. The pressing block was made of a seal for plastic waste pipe; cutting to the correct lenght and glued with CA glue.

bild95b9kz.jpg

This procedur created a beautiful round tire-part.

bild95c3wc.jpg

After drying all parts were glued together to become a tire. The edges were chamfered after the common hardening (acrylcolor, CA-glue).

bild95d4bh.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_95

Now it was time for some experiments. First of all I used my old airbrush to wet the flat frustrums (side frames of the tires).

bild95a3fo.jpg

After this the wet slices were squeezed very strong with a pressing block and a piece of glass against a felt pad. The pressing block was made of a seal for plastic waste pipe; cutting to the correct lenght and glued with CA glue.

bild95b9kz.jpg

This procedur created a beautiful round tire-part.

bild95c3wc.jpg

After drying all parts were glued together to become a tire. The edges were chamfered after the common hardening (acrylcolor, CA-glue).

bild95d4bh.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_96

Many punched holes and a lot of cutting give the tire a pleasing tread pattern.

bild96a5ui.jpg

The tread pattern was vulcanizing with wallpaper paste to the tires.

bild96b7kb.jpg

The result looks more like a real tire.

bild96c7cr.jpg

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Report_96

Many punched holes and a lot of cutting give the tire a pleasing tread pattern.

bild96a5ui.jpg

The tread pattern was vulcanizing with wallpaper paste to the tires.

bild96b7kb.jpg

The result looks more like a real tire.

bild96c7cr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.