Finally, the "Pictures at 11:00" or quick, Noah, get the boat...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
As promised, a few pictures of some newly finished water scenes.

This first scene is of an inlet/harbour area in Port Maitland, it's really just a background scene and barely shows up in the photo. Viewed from any angle higher than this makes it look totally unbelieveable.
100_58181.JPG

The next few scenes are at Chippawa Creek, last seen before in the b&w shot in "Now for something completely different". The first two are somewhat similar, and represent views from water level.

This is GVC 2-6-0 34, with a short train heading west
100_5819.JPG

And again, from a bit closer
100_58211.JPG

The next three shots were taken by some train nut in a balloon, but I think that they give a better idea of the overall scene. The first and third shots are of the 27, while 34 is in the second view.
100_58111.JPG

100_5824.JPG

100_58131.JPG

The next few views are at the Maitland River bridge, near the point where the river empties into Lake Erie.

Here's Consolidation 27 heading west onto the bridge.
100_58141.JPG

And part way across
100_58101.JPG

The last five photos are of the 34 and her train, crossing the bridge and entering Lowbanks.
100_58251.JPG

100_5828.JPG

100_5834.JPG

100_5829.JPG

100_58331.JPG

Overall, I'm reasonably satisfied with how these scenes turned out, although perhaps my standards aren't as critical as they should be. It's simply that I don't really want to do them over again. However, your criticism, if enough of it is negative, might induce me to make another try, so don't be reticent: otherwise you could be seeing all sorts of trains crossing these bridges and the same old water, again and again.
I do hope you enjoy this latest effort.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Let me be the first to reply. I love it, don't change a thing! Wait, I can't say that! Actually, I just noticed that while I've managed to get the pictures at the proper size, the text seems kinda w i d e. Don't know what I've done wrong, but my apologies.

Wayne

And now it seems to be corrected.

Wimpy

Dec 27, 2005
Hi Wayne
New to this forum. Great work. I love the muddy water look you have done. What did you use for the water. Details, details, details please. I hope my water turns out half as good as yours.

Wimpy

Wiscasset & Carrabassett Ry.
The biggest, littlest railroad, down east

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great work, Wayne!
Stunning scenery!
:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

(I also love that mixed train! aussie )

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
water

Alright Wayne, I was the impatient one waiting long past for the 11:00 pictures. The wait was worth it, and then some. Now, how did that water get there? And don't go telling me a dam busted upstream either. :D :D

Lynn

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Cannot see what you'd want to change. Fantastic scene. Very realistic water, just the right color for what you'd expect in a river like that. I'll gurantee you if you submitted one of these pics in this month's photo contest, you'd fool everyone, that's a fact...:D

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Love the water! Honestly drwayne, I can't say anything bad about anything you've done. :thumb: Anytime I see a new post from you I have to jump in to see what goodies you have posted.

BTW, can I simply leave a pile of compliments up here for you for any future pics you upload, just in-case I happen to miss them for some reason? I know they won't go to waste.:D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks so much to everyone for the compliments and by extension, letting me off the hook for having to redo the water scenes.
As most of you are aware, the river beds were plywood, well supported by 1" x 4" framing. After spraying the plywood with some "wet" water, I applied a thin coat of patching plaster with a drywall knife. I use a product called Durabond 90, a very strong product that hardens in about 90 minutes. It will harden even when mixed to a very soupy consistency and seems to bond well to most surfaces. After it has set, but not fully hardened, it can be cut or scraped to knock down irregularities. Once hardened, it is very hard and not easy to work. The two riverbeds shown have less than 1/8" of plaster over the plywood, while the inlet/harbour area is over an inch thick. The waves here were done by dabbing the wet plaster with a piece of sponge, then the drywall knife was used to raise the small breakers. The "rapids" in Chippawa Creek were also done with the drywall knife, as were the swells by all of the bridge abutments. The shallow and/or muddy areas were painted with the same colour that I use for all of the terrain on the layout, with the "deeper" areas done with a very dark grey/green that I also use for background trees. When the paint dried, everything got three coats of water-based high gloss urethane. One word of advice: pour and finish the water scenes before planting trees nearby.

Wayne

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
What impresses me is the depiction of the water flowing past/around the concrete pilings. The ripple effect both upstream and downstream is something that demonstrably adds to the realism of the overall concept.

JD

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
60103 said:
Wayne: The text on my screen fills to the right size. The photos are a bit narrower. I think they're perfect. So where does your track cross Chippawa Creek? And is this before or after the Hydro project?

David, the bridge is located just west of the Elfrida town limits and just downstream and around a bend from the waterfall. The action occurs in the 1930s, in a time and place known as...the Twilight Zone. Actually, like all of my towns and rivers, and some industries, the names are real but the locations are fanciful. I'd always wanted to do water scenes, so when the layout was designed (well, maybe designed suggests a little too much logic), I planned for lots of bridges. In fact, the first plan called for the trains to enter from staging on a twelve foot long multi-span bridge. When parts of the layout room were requisitioned for other uses, that bridge underwent severe "selective compression" and re-emerged as the Maitland River bridge, about as far from the original location as it could get. The Chippawa Creek name was chosen because we at one time lived on its banks, in Caistorville. I learned later, here on the Gauge, how to spell the name correctly. As for the Hydro project, I don't know. I'd also known Chippawa Creek as the Welland River and always thought that it had something to do with the feeder canal for the Welland Canal. Maybe I've been too long in the basement and a history/geography lesson is in order.

Wayne

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Wayne, I love this water, too! The waves, swell and ripples are modeled perfectly, and the color is absolutely perfect. (The day before it must have been nasty weather upstream, I think!) ;)

But also the filigree bridge trusses are top notch. And the photography is topping it off! Thank you for sharing.

Ron

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Terrific job as always. I think the water looks fantastic, as well as the rest of the layout. Keep em' coming. Stuart.

N

nachoman

wow, i think you got the color perfect. That reminds me, I need to finish up my "water". LOL.

kevin