Finally some layout photos

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Welcome

I was just thinking that we have not had any H O scale post for quite a while and when I check it today there you are.
So welcome HO scaler:D :D :D :D
That`s a very busy track plan, You have got a lot packed in there;)
I noticed you are using the Atlas switch and motors(throws), How do you find them ?? We used them on our modual with under floor motors, they can be a bit weak at times.
Anyway Looking forward to your posts on the J Y Burlington Northern R/W
:p

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by toopoor
Thanks fellas, I hope to be expanding it soon. The runs just are not quite long enough :cool: :cool:

Peace,
TP

Uh oh...he's been bit. There goes the laundry room, the water heater and the furnace. No kidding---the late, great model railroader John Allen sheepishly admitted to knocking out columns in his basement to make room only to realize his living room was dangerously close to calapsing on his railroad. Timber!!!!:D :p

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi toopoor,

I guess you made your track plan with the help of 3rdPlanIt, right? :cool:

You got interesting possibilities for train operations with this layout. Keep us posted with your progress - and perhaps you could add a few 3D previews, too! (I like that textured background with the wooded hill! :) )

Ron

toopoor

May 20, 2003
Riverside
members.bellatlantic.net
Oh I have been bit. Badly I was bit when I was 5 and my dad wouldn't let me anywhere near his trains. Since then I have waited and waited, finally I have my own house, my own money, and once again my own peace of mind.

Actually I built the layout first using the Atlas book. (no need for a plan). Then when I was thinking about expansion, I decided to design it well first then lay it down. I wanted to connect it to the open side of the layout by the engine facility so I need to get the current layout in the 3rdplan it. Well that was a task in itself. I knew it didn't need to be perfect since it was already built, but I wanted to be able to acurately expand. Thats about as close as its gonna get.

I hope to have some plan of the xpansion I have been planning, but want to wait until it closer to the final. And I decided to add a helix stagging yard, which is gonna be a bear to put into the CAD.

The Atlas motors are ok. I have not had any problems with them. I am planning on replacing some with tort machines, I just don't like the snap of the atlas machine, plus I will be adding them to my DCC via DS54 and BDL162 . I also found they have to be mounted perfectely or they dont snap. In a couple of places I had to reverse the switch since there was no room.
All and all I am satisfied, but thinking more of torts with peco turnouts for the xpansion.

Thanks for all your nice comments.

peace,
TP

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I just joined a club that has a helix in it's layout. It is one beautiful piece of carpentry. In the space of about 4'x8', it rises 28" in 6 spirals. My doodlebug goes in a around 25 scale mph and takes almost 6 minutes to complete. It enters and exits at 4 different track levels. When I get pics I'll post them. The most comforting part about it is that, with a layout full of Tortoise switch machines, all 8 machines within the helix are them ol' reliable Atlas "snap dragons".

Please keep us posted on yours. I wasn't a fan of helixs until the club's. The time factor and the sense of distance added to operations is just great