Finally making time for paper modeling

bobw63

Mar 10, 2012
For me, hobbies have been on the back burner for the last number of years.
Interests - mainly scifi, aviation, and fantasy building dioramas in that order.
Have been selling much of my 2-3 decade old collection of plastic models towards a ricoh color laser printer. I liked the one at work - deep colors and decent contrast. Especially on those darker scifi models.

Currently playing with a homemade vacuum former as I cannot accept those opaque paper canopies - lol.

I expect to be contributing in the future instead of just casually reading the posts after dinner.

bobw63

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Well that should be fun/ There re tons of ways of making Plastic canopies without going the vacuum route, but those are nice to have for many different types of parts. I've always though that a Mercedes SSK could be done if decent fenders could be had. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Bobw63, interesting switch of material, I did the same myself in 2010. (paints & glue getting too expensive, never mind the kits!) I found that transparency "pages" (what you would use for a Over Head projector) are great for doing canopies with paper models. Just get some double sided tape (not the thick mounting tape) to attach to your paper model. Just be careful, the tape normally sticks straight away and can't be removed....

Reactions: Revell-Fan

bobw63

Mar 10, 2012
I have seen some very skilled work with the transparency/tape method. Skill and patience well beyond mine. Unfortunately, my OCD can't deal with the seams on the bubble-type canopies where you cannot hide them. I work in the medical field and the most common plastic for sealed packaging is PETG. It is available to me as scrap in "lifetime supply" quantities. Crystal clear, heats easily, and easy to form. A $20 dollar strip heater and a shop vac connection is all that is required. That and a small fixture, burn ointment, and the small fire extinguisher from the kitchen my wife gets out when she sees me working on it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have used the Vacuum pumps for bleeding brakes, gives you good control. You set up a vacuum chamber with a valve, and then pump the vacuum, and open the valve. I have also made the shapes out of two part steel epoxy mounted on a stick, heated the plastic over the stock, and just pulled it over the form. You can get credible results that ways. Good for one offs. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Wow, would never have thought of that method! I know what you mean about the OCD.... I've only built relatively "flat" canopies where the transparency has handled the bend.

Love the avatar Bobw63!