Finally got started

davidstrains

After a few fits and sputters I finally have been able to get track down on the layout. I thought that I would post a few shots to get comments or critiques. I started with the staging tracks and then put in the lower branch line to test my old (72-80's) trains to see how many still work and what I need to replace.

Attachments

• roadbed.jpg
    roadbed.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 388

davidstrains

Additional work

This past week I worked on the double main line track and the backdrop.

Attachments

• peninsula2.jpg
    peninsula2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 367

davidstrains

backdrop

I have to thank Gavin Miller for the backdrop technique.cool: The light colored mountains in the background have been painted and then misted with a light coat of white, another layer of mountains and mist, etc. I put 4 layers on befor the final set. I will add the plaster scenery in front of that. I think that it looks great:) :

Attachments

• backdrop.jpg
    backdrop.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 344
David, it is looking good so far.

Isn't it great when you can finally start running trains?! (your imagination can "fill in" the scenery for now!)

Once you are "on a roll" and have overcome the inertia of getting started, you find you can make great progress.

Keep us posted. I'm glad your backdrop turned out so well and you are happy with it (otherwise you might be cursing me, he heh)

Gavin Miller

davidstrains

Posted a shot in the Photo forum of putting the last rail down. Of course than I had to run a train or two to see if I had power all the way around. They all ended up in the yard.

Attachments

• in the yard.jpg
    in the yard.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 239

davidstrains

and then a shot at the other end of the yard showing the tower and "Box" inspection station.

Attachments

• yard tower.jpg
    yard tower.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 229
Hi David! Good looking start there! Question: I see you're using cork roadbed, but what is the white subroadbed? Some type of wallboard or foam?
Please keep us "posted":D :)

Matt==Hershey, Pa.

davidstrains

Tyson, Charlie, Matt, and all,

Thanks for the comments. It is slow work as I am doing it by myself. If you saw the plan in the Track Plan forum you see that it is about 17 1/2 feet long by 10' with a 10' peninsula in the middle. 2 main lines, a branch line loop, 5 track yard and 4 track staging area. In all about 330 feet of track and about 55 switches.

Matt, the table is 1/2" plywood with 1/2" Homasote. The cork roadbed is glued on top. I have painted the Homasote to seal it prior to putting the scenery on it. I did not mask the roadbed as I painted it before I put the track down so you see some of my messy paint crawling up the sides of the cork. But that will be covered by the ballast anyway. I have already added a note to my lessons learned list that one should install the track feeder wires as you go. It is a bit easier than doing it later.

I will post some more photos as I get further along. I need to build my roundhouse to get it in place.

Oh, BTW, at the end of one of the tracks in Arcee (see track plan) I want to put in a manual turntable. Not a prebuilt one. Just something flat with a track on it that I can turn an engine or car. Have any of you done that? I was thinking of styrene sheet with an Atlas bridge mounted on it and maybe a brass tube pivot. The track would extend to the ends of the turntable and I would use a snap clip of some sort to apply and remove power to the tracks. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

davidstrains

Charlie,

Sorry I hit the send before I answered your question. I am using Atlas 83 flex with Peco 4, 6, & 8 switches. I also have 1 Atlas 12 1/2 degree crossing. Combination of Peco, Tortise and Caboose throws. I haven't decided which route to go on the machines. so I wanted to try each of them. I did not permanently mount the turnouts because I will need to get under them to install the appropriate switch machine. I am thinking that a 3/8" hole ought to be big enough to accomodate either a Tortise or Peco machine if I do it correctly (i.e. right in the middle and not skewed to i one side or the other to cause a bind). That is another addition to the lessons learned. Do the switches as you go. but i really wanted to get a train running:rolleyes:

Anyway it is on the way now. Thanks for the encouragement.

:) :)

davidstrains

Hi Tyson,

I thought about that. But the 4's are only in the Arcee switching area and then only 3 there. There are also 2 in the engine service area. Mainline turneouts are primarily 8's with some 6's. 6's for sidings and the passing tracks, yard, staging area and access to and from the branch. I had not intended to use the Mikes and the 2-8-0 on the branch. I may try an old (72 model Arnold-Rapido) Pacific if I can find someone to repair a driver. Main power for the branch will be GP-7's and maybe an F-7. I have a couple of old steam switchers that may go there also - (0-4-0 and an 0-6-0).

I need to get the new power, (Mikes, 2-8-0's and F-7's) converted for DCC before I think about how do do the small switchers. I may even forgo converting them and get something like a SW-* for the time period. I really like the steam power but these little ones may not fit the need.

davidstrains

Power on the line

Well I have completed 2 of the 5 DCC Power districts. :) :) And I just had to hook up the Digitrax Chief to see if I did it correctly and was rewarded to find no shorts and I was able to run 3 trains (2 with decoders, 1 without) on 2 tracks at the same time with one throttle. And I didn't crash or derail any of them. Now I have to disconnect the stuff before it gets habit forming and I forget about wiring the rest of the road. That DCC is great!!!:) :cool:

Pictures to follow as soon as I vacumn the place. I made a real mess drilling the holes to string the bus wires.:) :)

davidstrains

Finished the wiring for the 5 Power districts. Here is a shot of the underside of the benchwork. Power busses are #14 solid from ROMEX cable. Feeders are #20 solid about every 6 to 8 feet.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 90

davidstrains

I have started to put the structures around to see how they fit. The roundhouse was the most critical one because it had to go in only 1 location. As you can see it is starting to get busy and I haven't even hired any of the plastic people yet. I may need to work out a deal with Jon for some of his "unemployeds"

Attachments

• roundhouse.jpg
    roundhouse.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 94