Finally got DCC now i need a lil help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
How old is that Bachmann unit..?? Might it be that the motor need to be isolated from the frame..?? Check it out with a voltmeter by putting one lead on the metal motor casing, and touch a part of the metal frame with the other. If you get a reading, you'll need to isolate the motor.

Thank you i'll check that out today when i get home. How would i isolate ? tape ? its a plastic body with the disk like motor on the back wheel set. The train body is plastic too the weight looks to be cast also looks to be seperate from the motor.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Is it what they call the "pancake" motor..? (mounted sideways with spur gears to the driving wheels..) If so, it's probably isolated, but check it out just to be sure...

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Have you posted a track plan...or a good description of it..?? Maybe the problen is in the layout itself...

You might want to try running the loco on a piece of flextrack all by itself...See if it works there.

Is your programming track completely isolated from the rest of the layout..?? If so, disconnect the programming leads from the command station and connect them to the track outputs. Make sure your track leads are properly connected, and not mixed up with the jump throttles outputs.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
OK....Try running the loco on an isolated piece of track...away from the layout. It's the only way to determine if the problem is engine or layout-related.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Once you've eliminated the track, I don't think it will be hard to verify the decoder, then we can figure out where in the loco the trouble is (not that I'm assuming anything!)

Jeff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
ok guys i guess it looks like i need a new loco. I have 5 here but there either to complicated to get the decoder in or tooooo old lol.

I am troubled by this statement. Do they run well on DC? I'm in N scale, I can't imagine getting a decoder into an HO loco being that difficult or complicated!:mrgreen: Pick one, and maybe we can get through it together! We'll learn something, anyway.

Jeff

RonP

Member of the WMRC
ok i have this hogwartz express from bachman. Though it is differant from the ones i seen online this one has a body under the shell dominated by the weight. The motor looks to have no wires at all attached to it and is encased inside the weight. thats what makes it so complicated to me.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
The motor probably has a couple of little clips coming out of it that contact the two halves of the frame. So you 'just' need to snip them so they don't contact the frame, and put the grey and orange wires on them. The red and block can then go to the halves of the frame.

Does that engine run well. I've heard of some that were, hmmmm, not so good. Someone must have done the conversion, but Google didn't find anything. I'm going to search some more.

What's your best runner?

Jeff

RonP

Member of the WMRC
best loco ? this is it. Ok im with you, so the weight is the contact to the wheels ? do i have to isolate the motor as someone else said ?

BTW yes there are 2 little copper springs i had the thing taken apart after my son went to bed this week but never ventured as i didn't know for sure of the weight being part of the electrical contact. These machines were built by geniuses that just understand electronics something i brushed of in gr 12

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
It isn't the whole motor that needs to be isolated, in most cases, it is the brushes, those little spings are the contacts to them. I an still sure someone has done this, I'm still looking for them. If you look some more, I think you'll find that the weight is in two parts, and that each part contacts the wheels on one side, and one brush of the motor.

Or course, if this is your best runner, a new loco might not be a bad.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Ok i am doing this today i believe your eight what you say and im going for it. The old loco's are going to be put on the shelf for future scratchin and bashin projects.

Maybe googling the style name of the setup. i don't know what that is but i suspect it is findable i looked through mosty of the pics at tcsdcc.com and havent really found it.

My confidence is building and i have to go and rip this baby apart once more to determine my next step.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
ok now that i look closer i see you are correct the wheels have a plastic axle insulating them apart and the wheels do touch the weight. Seems to be a design flaw if you ask me as the wheels are not really connected by a brush but i am not an engineer and welcome the fact i can figure this out just by looking at it ( And with your assistance of course ) Thank you very much for sticking with me.

Ok i found it split frame construction

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
ok now that i look closer i see you are correct the wheels have a plastic axle insulating them apart and the wheels do touch the weight. Seems to be a design flaw if you ask me as the wheels are not really connected by a brush but i am not an engineer and welcome the fact i can figure this out just by looking at it ( And with your assistance of course ) Thank you very much for sticking with me.

Ok i found it split frame construction

At least on the N scale locos I've done, there is usually a brass piece that is in contact with the wheels that sticks up and contacts a brass strip that comes down off the frame. the contact strip is a bit like a spring, pushing slightly down to maintain contact.

It does sound like you are making progress at understanding what you are seeing. I think that goes a long way towards understanding how to fix stuff when it doesn't work later! Do you have a didgital camera you can use to take pics and post? It is a bit challenging to guess what you have when I've nver seen it...though we seem to be making good progress nonetheless!

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.