Finally fell into something nice

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Usually when I fall into something, it usually is stinky or terrible in many ways. Yesterday at our club meeting, a friend brought in a whole mess of balsa wood that he got from a club 25 yrs ago and he said they had years of dust them when he got them.

004.jpg

He asked me if I wanted them, I opened the boxes and holy smokes, they were full.

005.JPG

I have no idea how old these strips are, but, boy howdy, Gary said For Free and I about fell over.

He even put the scale size on the top of the boxes... Yes, it was a good day yesterday!

George

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Before anyone busts your bubble about balsa not being as good as bass wood for models , I remember that E.L. Moore used balsa for most, if not all of his work .
Have at it --- you got the mother load!!

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Yeah... someone at the club already hit me with a Basswood vs Balsa argument before I hit the door with my new found stash. I look at it this way, it was free and it is a whole heck of A LOT of building materials... I'll take it and use it.

Last night, after the club meeting, I quickly put together a billboard from the Scratch Plans area. I hope to build a water tower and loading platform and lumberyard and a couple of houses and a barn or two and some fences. Not too many things are planned right now...

sign1sign1sign1sign1

I think I might have to go get s'more glue and toothpicks. And rubber bands. I am going to have a very busy year.

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
I knew that would happen!! Darn P***$#KS !!!
If I remember correctly a while back there was a thread on here about some person having accumlated all of E.L.Moores articles from MRC?. You might want to try to locate that thread & get some copies from him to show the spoilsports just what is possible with balsa.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
I always love when people point out how your new free stuff isn't any good. It's free. In my book, that is the definition of good.:thumb: Have fun with your new haul, and can't wait to see pictures of what you build!