Finally! A Combine On The Line!

Lighthorseman

Every now and then, looking elsewhere on Ebay - trying assorted typos, for example, can yield a nugget that others miss. With On30 combines going for an arm and a leg, I lucked out and got one for $20.00 US.

So, The Megill River System has taken delivery of a barely used New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore And Washington combine. Here is a picture snapped by a lucky railfan as it was headed to the company shops for a repaint.

Odds are quite good that he'll catch it once it reappears. :thumb: :wave:

Attachments

• Combine As Delivered.jpg
    Combine As Delivered.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 197

jon-monon

What a beaut! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I've been wanting to build some passenger stuff in HOn30, any chance I could get you to do a couple ofmeasurements? :D :D :D

I'm really after A, C, H and J, but the others may be of interest, especially to other gaugers. Real or scale measurements, makes no difference to me. And they don't need to be super accurate, jsut whatever is eazy for you. Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with ballast on top? :D :D :D

Attachments

• combine640.jpg
    combine640.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 184
Yeahhhhhh!!!!!

It's a charmer steve! :thumb: it'll look good after the LPB's get through with the paint job too. Will you use dry lettering or decals to finish it?

Jon, you asked the pertinent question on dimensions :thumb: :thumb: . Those are all the dimensions I need to get stuck into On30, thank you for the time you spent preparing that post :cool: . Maybe Steve will climb all over his new gem with a ruler and fill in your questionair (hoping it'll be today :) )

Steve, are the couplers at the normal height used in HO?

Errol

Lighthorseman

Here's The Goods!

Hey - no problem!

Here are all the measurements you asked for.

--> A.) 8 feet
--> B.) ...There is no "B", as the roof has only one sticky-uppy part. (Clerestory?)
--> C.) 4 feet 6 inches
--> D.) 7 feet 6 inches
--> E.) 33 feet 6 inches
--> F.) 30 feet 6 inches
--> G.) 35 feet
--> H.) 6 feet 6 inches
--> I.) ...I didn't see anything for an "I" measurement...
--> J.) 8 feet 3 inches

As the picture shows, this one has a curved roof. Measurement "H" was taken in the middle of the door.If you'd like some additional pictures, let me know.

Jon, if you're looking to do one in HOn30, are you going to start with an MDC overton car? They just have to be thinned up, no simple task, but doable with a fair bit of filing, fitting, and reinforcing to prevent warping. I did one years back in my futile HOn3 foray.

Attachments

• CombineEnd.jpg
    CombineEnd.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 177

Lighthorseman

Coupler Height...

Errol - as an addendum - The Bachmann On30 models all have HO height couplers, but this is the wrong "scale height". Have a look at where the coupler is on the combine end. Bachmann has actually built in a spacer to lower the coupler height. I'm leaving them as is for the time being, but I will eventually adjust all my rolling stock to the correct height. I believe that Pete "Sumpter 250" does just that.

'Course, he's a pro. I'm a newbie. :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
PRO; adjective; 1; mafia hit man, 2;tennis unstructor, 3;expert in a field of endeavor, 4;golf instructor, 5; someone who is in favor of something, vice against.

In this case I'll have to plead the "fifth", but thanks for the compliment! :D

Great big THANKYOU

THANK YOU Steve, you're not only a gem but a super-duper helper-outer :) :thumb: :thumb:
Now I have all the info I need to foray into this "big stuff" :D

Jon was having palpitations waiting for a reply so I can't blame him for putting the skids under you in my name :D :D :D

Pete, I'm sure Steve meant "expert in a field of endeavor" but couldn't spell "endeavour". :eek: :D :D

Thanks again Steve.

Errol