Filling down a metal Chassis

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Hello!

I've finaly gotten around to repowering my old HO scale Bachmann E-60CP (which is finaly looseing out....) and i cut the tank off the plastic chassis of the E-60CP. the plan is to get the metal chassis of an athearn C44-9 to fit in the tank. While it mostly already fits (except for this peg in the E-60's tank that i can't seem to get at, but there are probably clippers for it) the sides of the Metal chassis of the C44-9 are way to wide. I was curious if anyone whoul have any idea how i would get rid of the all that metal. its not alot, but its enough that if i had a regular hand file, it'd take forever. are there and tools or anything i can use to wear the metal to the right size to fit?

thanks.

Pete

A bastard file will remove metal more quickly than a 'regular' file.
A bench grinder or belt sander would make quick work of it. Just be sure to work carefully so you don't remove too much, or that a grinding wheel doesn't grab it out of your hands.
You should also remove the motor and trucks so they don't get clogged with filings, if you haven't already done so.

jim currie

you can use a carbide cutter in a dremmel or if you have access to a die grinder a C6 carbide cutter will make short work of it.

Glen Haasdyk

The Bastard file will probably work best, since it will cut through the soft metal fairly quickly and you will end up with a straighter cut than with a dremel. I wouldn't use a bech grinder though, the soft metal won't grind on the wheel. It will melt into the wheel and potentialy compromise the strength of the grinding wheel and cause it to explode at high RPM.