Fiddlers Green Goose 42 inch wingspan

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Vyceroy, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

I have been doing these conversions for close to 8 years now.. I started with a 32 inch wingspan Fiddlers Green P-51 .. remarkably she flew and rather well .. so over the years i have done over 50 conversions .. Here is the mid point of my latest attempt .. a Fiddlers Green Grumman Goose ... 1/4 inch Bluecor insulation foam (From Lowes) .. I copied and enlarged the plans in Adobe illustrator and printed them out on my Plotter printer ..

The hardest thing about converting them to 1/4 inch foam is accounting for the thickness of the foam when doing formers and where 2 pieces join together .. like fuselage sides joining the hull and top ..

I will post more here as i make progress if there is interest .. I had more photos but my other computer is down with a bad power supply ..

Pics are Below ..

Attached Files:

2. papastumpy

papastumpy Member

Way cool and look forward to more. Welcome as well. :wave:Rick
  3. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

Thanks Rick .. i need to pull my plans out and get back on her ..
  4. papaace

papaace New Member

Looking great definitely keep us posted Im starting the Foam Super Corsair i got from Ecardmodel.com (spring & summers a coming) keep up the good work!
  5. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

Papaace best thing i can say is to definitely test fit all parts in advance .. it has come back to haunt me in the past ..
  6. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

A little progress this evening Got the cowlings cut and put together .. next a little sanding to get the nice round edges and they will be ready to cover .. i may do silkspan and resin to strengthen her up and also makes for a nice paintable surface ..

Attached Files:

7. papaace

papaace New Member

Thank You

Thanks for the heads up! I use the templates that contour the body and wings as outside templates and parts that fit around them are inside templates I also use thinner material for these parts if I can.:wave: Thanks again and keep up the good work.:thumb:
  8. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

pappaace .. another good one is the Fiddlers green corsair .. may be good to practice on it first .. it actually makes a great little flyer with an undercambered or folded wing..