Fiddler's Green B-24 John Dell Collection

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
These are'nt just re-colors. John did a great job on redrawing and improving the original design. If you buy just one FG model this would be a great one. I'll be looking for aftermarket goodies for this model like clear canopies and flight deck details. It has the potential to compete well in competition with plastic models.

I do agree that the sheet-at-a time format is kind of a pain for models with so many sheets and so many variatiants but I had no problem with the server performance. One option is to periodically get the upgrade CD especially since it will have some extras on it not just the new releases.

Cecil

Huey

Apr 9, 2004
Afghanistan
Cecil,

Have you checked John Dell's P-51 Collection and and Fokker DVII? I'm sure you'll also like his work on these. I didn't have any problems downloading the B-24 despite being in the middle of nowhere, but then again maybe the time difference helped a lot :D .

Perhaps Chip would want to increase bandwidth but if the sale doesn't justify the additonal cost... I've spoken to some paper model distributor and I just can't help but feel sorry for them. I started with free downloads, but have started purchasing my paper models and haven't looked back ever since. I've even spent my "beer money" for the next 3 months so I would have to do away with that for awhile :cry: but the paper models I purchased were well worth it and I also know that I'm supporting designers who work so hard in trying to produce these models. For a case of Fosters I have a ModelArt model, for two bags of Doritos, I have a model from NOBI, for a carton of cigarettes, John Dell's B-24 and for a big chocolate bar, a model from Marek (courtesy of DeWayne). Maybe I trivialize things, but we may just find one day that we can't purchase anything on line anymore simply because we wanted 'free downloads." Just my 5 Afghani opinion.

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
I certain share your concerns about the revenue difficulties which face any full time model designer/distributor. That's why I suggested periodically buying Chip's update CD even if you have the Magic Key subscription. And yes John Dell's previous work on the P51's and Fokkers is also amazing.

Huey

Apr 9, 2004
Afghanistan
Cecil,

You look like a security consultant here :D . Is that a 5.11 Tactical vest you are wearing :D .

It such a pity that there's not so many of you who also share this concern of mine. Like when the YAK-17 was released as a freebie, 300+ downloaded it, but when a model went for sale.... Haven't it occured to those who likes freebies only that the reason why some distributor have not updated their models is because they don't have the funds to commission a new model? In the end, we may end up buying printed card models at a higher cost due to import or shipping fee.

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Huey,

I'm definitely not a security consultant, lol. The vest is part of my fish catching uniform. The giveaway if nothing else should be the net showing behind my head. Maybe I should have gone with the full length photo which shows a nice 14" brown trout.

Anyway as for the John Dell B-24's they are in a much larger scale than the usual FG models. I just asked and got a reply that they are 1/48 scale.

Nice huh?