Fellow Ohioans on this forum

NSES44DC

Just curious to see who all is from Ohio on here. Im new. Im a fellow Buckeye from northern Ohio..30 miles west of cleveland and about the same east of sandusky. Represent OHIO!!

lionelfan

I am from Parma Ohio, appx. 15 miles SW of Cleveland. Currently working on 60's to 70's era Lionel layout and my Son and I are working on a small HO layout. That in addition to building model cars and airplanes and collecting diecast cars.

NSES44DC

Oh yes, I go to Parma about once a month Lionel.I enjoy the drive on 480 across the csx main and near the airport with the NS yard. Btw what is that yard called?? I have a couple yards in the area. One being Avon Lake( Ford Plant) Yard and the other one i know of is Sheffield (steel mill)Yard. Both NS with the sheffield having the Terminal Railroad switch it to a point then NS has a few engines and cabooses that take over. Besides sports and trains my other hobbies are R/C trucks(Traxxas Stampede) and drinking(just kidding, im not an alky.) In the past I have collected items like coins (old/rare/foreign) and trading cards(sports only)

lionelfan

The yard you see from 480 is called Rockport, and the yard in Avon Lake (Ford Plant) is called Fairlane.If you have time while here, check out Berea tower which is about 2-3 miles south of Rockport (not far from the airport) off of Rt. 237. NS and CSX both come by the tower on opposite sides, lots of action.

NSES44DC

lionelfan said:
The yard you see from 480 is called Rockport, and the yard in Avon Lake (Ford Plant) is called Fairlane.If you have time while here, check out Berea tower which is about 2-3 miles south of Rockport (not far from the airport) off of Rt. 237. NS and CSX both come by the tower on opposite sides, lots of action.

Ah yes, Fairlane. I went by it last night. I knew it wasnt called the Avon Lake Yard. I never knew the Berea Tower location before now. Ill have to swing by. I used to go up to watch the NS and Conrail go through Elyria on the NY-Chicago line in Elyria at the Amtrak station. Lots of good photo ops there. Anyone been to the Mad River Railroad Mueseum?? Mainly NKP but really nice. Plus there is usually really good action going on around it by the NS. Bellevue has the big NS Yard and just north outside of Sandusky on RT.4 is the Triple Crown yard. Lots of action there. Bellevue is where I see the most UP and BNSF engines. Then further west in Toledo of 75 right after the 280 merge is a small yard that Ive seen one DT&I engine, GN, Canadian Railpower, BNSF..lots! Any other good locations??

NSES44DC

lionelfan said:

Ah yes, Fairlane. I went by it last night. I knew it wasnt called the Avon Lake Yard. I never knew the Berea Tower location before now. Ill have to swing by. I used to go up to watch the NS and Conrail go through Elyria on the NY-Chicago line in Elyria at the Amtrak station. Lots of good photo ops there. Anyone been to the Mad River Railroad Mueseum?? Mainly NKP but really nice. Plus there is usually really good action going on around it by the NS. Bellevue has the big NS Yard and just north outside of Sandusky on RT.4 is the Triple Crown yard. Lots of action there. Bellevue is where I see the most UP and BNSF engines. Then further west in Toledo off 75 right after the 280 merge is a small yard that Ive seen one DT&I engine, GN, Canadian Railpower, BNSF..lots! Any other good locations??

NSES44DC

lionelfan said:

Ah yes, Fairlane. I went by it last night. I knew it wasnt called the Avon Lake Yard. I never knew the Berea Tower location before now. Ill have to swing by. I used to go up to watch the NS and Conrail go through Elyria on the NY-Chicago line in Elyria at the Amtrak station. Lots of good photo ops there. Anyone been to the Mad River Railroad Mueseum?? Mainly NKP but really nice. Plus there is usually really good action going on around it by the NS. Bellevue has the big NS Yard and just north outside of Sandusky on RT.4 is the Triple Crown yard. Lots of action there. Bellevue is where I see the most UP and BNSF engines. Then further west in Toledo off 75 right after the 280 merge is a small yard that Ive seen one DT&I engine, GN, Canadian Railpower, BNSF..lots! Any other good locations??

lionelfan

Besides Berea, I like to go to downtown Cleveland by the Amtrak station, there is a pedestrian bridge over the NS lines which allows good photo ops. The two main lines are the LakeFront Line going to Buffalo, and the other is the line going through Alliance Ohio. Definately check out Berea though, I was these last Friday from 12:30 PM until 5:00 PM and counted 15 trains between NS and CSX, CSX runs alot of foreign and leased power, also from time to time I see new BNSF and UP units on CSX which I assume are coming from Erie PA. I also see lots of old freight cars, I saw several painted in Erie Lackawanna.

NSES44DC

Oh, I didnt know there was a pedestrian bridge over the lakefront line. Usually the hobby shops I go to have things posted of good places to look. My hobby shops are Avon Heritage Train and Hobby and The Corner Store Model Trains and Hobby of Lorain. What hobby shops do you go to? I used to love the Great Train Store inside Tower City but it closed like a decade ago! man i miss it.

lionelfan

The bridge is to connect the Brown's stadium and Lakeside Ave. eliminating people from crossing the tracks to get from the stadium to the downtown area. I usually go to Wings Hobby in Lakewood Oh, or my favorite is Trading Post Trains in Cleveland (actually Old Brooklyn area appx 2 miles from Parma) this shop is like walking back to a 1950's Lionel train shop. They mostly carry locomotives and rolling stock, not much scenery supplies. The owner is nice and carries an assortment of new and older Lionel.

lionelfan

Wings is mostly HO but has a little O guage. Also alot of rc model airplanes. As far as the HO it is a mix of new locos and older locos, new Kato and Walthers. Alot of RTR cars and railroad kits (which I enjoy)

Gil Finn

I can tell you where most of them are, crossing W Va on thier way to the beaches..and of course driving in the left lane all the way.

ON the raidio today a spokesman for the W Va gas dealers assc. explain why gas jumped 20 cents here this week. Seems they were making up for recent small adjustments they fail to pass along recently.

He didnt mention the 4th of July.

So Buckeyes, get off in Ashland or Marieta to fill up.

If you can make it on one tank to Clifton Forge or to Bluefield Va. so much the better.

NSES44DC

Lionel, do you know the time that wings is open till? Ill try finding it, but you seem quite knowledgable of the place.

NSES44DC

I did a slight 40 min railfanning trip up the street today after my dogs vet appt. Sadly only one train came through. It was Two NS Dash 9's. One in the horsehead scheme and one in the original black and white scheme. It was a TripleCrown train but it wasnt going too fast so it must have stopped back in Elyria(maybe for Amtrak) Anyways, I noticed a Amtrak postal trailer(Silver with the blue and red stripes) on the train but it had triple crown written on it. When Amtrak gave up its intermodal postal service it must've sold to TC. May make a good modeling idea for us modern era modeler guys here.