Favorite loco(s) to run

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
Guys, what are your favorite locos to run? I was reading a a thread on Trainboard.com, and was curious about all of you. I love my big ol' Kato CSX Dash 9 the best. The SD-80's are a close second, but derail on my unperfected areas on the track. I know there the best, but the dash-9 never EVER has a problem. I also like my Atlas dash-9, but it is a tiny bit buzzy (Still great, but not as quiet and a joy to run than a KATO, even though it is team with the DASH-9). The lifelikes are good, but can't creep and just aren't as smooth. The Bachmans aren't even close.

jmhewitt

May 12, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Atlas Trainmaster, by far. all 6 axles are powered, yet it has no problems with Atlas Standard Switches or 9 3/4 curves. creeps around my layout, and pulls great.

Michael Hewitt Wilmington, NC

P.S. I think most of the action is taking place on the n_scale yahoo group or the Atlas n forum....

C

Catt

Scratchin' & Bashin' its in the section above this one.Check-it out you might like it.:D

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, I don't have a lot of locos to run, but of the three that are operational, I think I like my Kato SD80MAC the best. It runs very smoothly in both directions, and it has those nifty white LED headlights. It has a barely perceptible whine to it that sounds like the real sound of a diesel locomotive. When it goes up a grade, you can hear it working harder. I'm pretty sure that this isn't intentional, but I think it's kinda cool nevertheless.

Before it died, my old Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation was my favorite locomotive. I made the mistake of trying to improve it. I added electrical pickup in the tender, and it worked really fantastic. Then all-of-a-sudden one day, it would barely run. The gears kept binding, and it would jerk and jump all over the place. While trying to find a solution to the gearing problem, I accidentally broke a gear...one that the drive wheels fit into. So, like Thomas the Tank Engine, who is also suffering gear binding problems, the parts are sitting in a little plastic baggy until I can figure out what to do with them... :(

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Favorite engine to run has to be my custom-painted Atlas/Kato GP30 done by Catt for his very own Grand Valley :D . A close second is my almost repainted :rolleyes: Ironton Terminal SW1200...

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
My Atlas Trainmasters are nice solid units and the fact that they are easy to convert to DCC (Plug and Play) is a bonus:).
My Life Like C-Liners are among the best pullers on my roster and an A/B set pulled 118 Microtrains cars around our NTrak layout with no problems whatsoever:cool:.
Takes a little work to make those puppies DCC friendly though :(.

Terry

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Fav loco???

That's easy, The Bachmann Spectrum G Scale Climax.... In that size you can actually see everything move.. And it smokes great!!!! :D

But if pressed for an "N" answer - I'd have to say the Bachmann Doodlebug I run in my office at work... :) :cool: :) -- Mikey

the_great_snag

Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
I can only afford cheaper locos, but my favorite has to be my Life-Like GP20 and my Life_Like SD7's a close second. The SD's would have it all over the Geep, but they run about 800 miles an hour scale speed! Boy are they smooth and do they ever pull though!

My only gripe about the GP20 is that it squeals until it warms up a bit!

I also was surprised by the quality of my little Bachmann F9 I got in a Highballers set for Christmas! Only thing I didn't like is that it doesn't back up as fast as it goes forward so consisting with another F9 might be hairy if the rear engine were to face backwards...

have fun,

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Welcome to The Gauge Ray,

Heh heh heh, another BN fan! ... Great! Someday we will be able to take over (in the nicest possible way :) ) the Rock Island Lines!

My favourites?
In "N" ....... My two Atlas/Rivarossi 2-8-2's and LL SW9/1200 in GN livery.
In "HO" .... My IHM 1880's 0-4-0 American and Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0. Both smooth as silk and full of character.
Just wish I had continuous loop to run them on :( .

Errol

the_great_snag

Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by kettlestack
Welcome to The Gauge Ray,

Heh heh heh, another BN fan! ... Great! Someday we will be able to take over (in the nicest possible way :) ) the Rock Island Lines!

My favourites?
In "N" ....... My two Atlas/Rivarossi 2-8-2's and LL SW9/1200 in GN livery.
In "HO" .... My IHM 1880's 0-4-0 American and Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0. Both smooth as silk and full of character.
Just wish I had continuous loop to run them on :( .

Errol
Hey Kettlestack!

I'm hoping to snap up a couple of the LL SW9/1200's in GN, CN, or NP here very soon myself as I've heard nothing but good about them too! Someday I'll be able to afford Atlas or fall into a good deal on some, but for now I'll take my LIfe-Likes!

My favorite HO is the good old Athearn SD40-2 in one of my northern liveries! I have an awesome merger consist of a CP, a Soo, and a Milwaukee Road SD40-2 that I like to display. I don't have an HO layout and they are too long to look anything but silly on my 18" radius EZ track, so I just admire them for the most part!
I also like Bachmann's eight wheel diesels such as the F9's and the GP40-2's that they come out with in the last couple years. They are very smooth and pull really stong for the buck! Their HO 0-6-0's are smooth too, but too light to pull their own shadows!

lol

have fun,

charleswebb

May 31, 2002
Central Florida
Visit site
Hi, I am also a new member so I thought I would get my feet wet. My favorite loco right now is LL SW9 in NYC colors, "or lack of":D My layout is set in 1960, so it fits right in. I have some problems with other LL, but this one runs smooth and quiet.

uboat

Jul 10, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
My current favorites are:

LL GP-20's can't say enough good about them
LL E7 - heavy and pull like a truck

Atlas U25bs - slooowww and smoooth
Atlas GP38s - see U25b above

ConcorRiv Berkshire

G

Gregg Mahlkov

NO STEAM ENGINES???????

My current favorite is my PRR H3 2-8-0 kitbashed from an MDC Roundhouse Consolidation. With the center drivers blind it will negotiate the sharp curves on my 2'x4' layout and runs extremely smooth and slow. Looks great, too. Only wish they had used a yellow insteasd of white LED for the headlight. After all, PRR did use oil headlights into the 1920's.

Right now, I have several custom painted Kato U30C's in DRGW that are very nice because of their size. Also, som C/P Kato SD40s in DRGW are vey enjoyable. Randy (of these very boards) is painting some Kato F3s for me as we speak. (Betcha can't guess which roadname!:p ) I can't wait to get them back!