Fatima Ieatta Build

M

Mark_1984

sign1

Hey Don, Your fans await

PS - I've almost finished Noname - pics soon :)

Cheers
Mark

Now that the summer is winding down I was able to sit down and spend some time working on the Fatima Ieatta. I completed her right boot, thighs, hips and pelvis.

Her remaining boot went together as easily as the first, but it did develop a bit of a spiral twist up the rear seam. I'm not sure if it was due to my construction, or was designed in. In either case it doesn't seem to have any negative effects. The construction of her two thighs was very straightforward, each being comprised of only three pieces. The designer has imparted a nice shimmery satiny look to the full body suit she is wearing (a little hard to see in my poor photos).

The pelvis of these anime figures can be a challenge, and I knew this one would be no exception. A lot of scoring is required to get this piece right. She's a waif-like creature who's not packing too much in the old caboose anyway, but without all the scoring to relieve the forming induced paper stress, and to force the bends in the right places, I think her buttocks would be impossible to shape. I started the pelvis assembly in the crotchal region (little known medical term), which requires a valley fold to line everything up correctly. I glued the two "wings" together at the back, and added a little piece to the right hip that Pepakura decided to separate out for some reason. Finally, I joined up the crotch to form the sockets for her thighs.

I started attaching the left thigh by gluing the inside centermost tab to the crotch. I waited a good half hour before doing anything further. Then I glued the polar opposite tab (at the very top of the thigh) in place and let it set up. When I was confident that the thigh was anchored securely at top and bottom I attached the rest of the tabs one at a time in no particular order. With the right thigh in place, I followed the same procedure with the right thigh. A ring fits at the top of the pelvis and completes this portion of the build. Two of the ten pages of parts have now been assembled - woohooo!

Photo of subassemblies

legpieces.jpg

So far I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of the model. Kudos to the designer! As an experiment I slid the thighs into the boots to see how everything would look together, and lo and behold she can stand on her own two feet. The right leg is angled a bit rearward which adds some interest to her stance. Her weight is solidly on the left foot, and the right toe is touching as if she is in mid stride. Very nice!

From the front

standingfront.jpg

From the side

standingside.jpg

From the back

standingback.jpg

My plan of attack for the future is to continue building the rest of her trunk, followed by her head and arms. I'm leaving her hat with the long hangy down things and that really scary 25 piece drape for last.

Regards,
Don

I've made some more progress fellas. The next sheet of parts contains the eight pieces that make up the Fatima's body from stomach to neck. I built from the bottom up, so the first five pieces are simply scored rings that stack one upon the other. Again, the fit of each ring to it's mate was perfect. I modified each part in my usual manner, doubling the tabs on the north side, and removing them from the south side.

The sixth part poses a little more of a challenge. It is the largest piece of the eight, and when formed, makes up her upper chest and shoulders. There are many scores to be made, which are indicated by lighter colored lines that really don't detract from the model. The seventh piece on this page of parts is saddle shaped after gluing up a few tabs, and all but closes up the body. At first glance it never seemed like it was going to fit properly: there was a big gaping hole at the shoulders, and this saddle shaped filler appeared way too small to fill in the gap, in every dimension. But, when I gently squeezed her shoulders, the hole got narrower, and her back caved in a bit due to the scores, and viola! The saddle fit perfectly. :yep: I glued one side up, and when it was dry I applied glue to the unattached edges, squeezed her shoulders, and held it that way until the glue set. Perfect! The eighth and final part is her neck, which looks freakishly long, but her head slides down over it, so I'm sure all will be well in the end.

Front view
torsofront.jpg

Back view
torsoback.jpg

Side view (The discolored body sections in this photo are a trick of the light. Everything matches just fine)
torsoside.jpg

I am very happy with the way she is coming out. I think she's very organic looking, with a realistic flow to her body. Not at all rigid like some anime models. So far she's not difficult to build at all, but I know that more challenging subassemblies are right around the corner. More soon.

Regards,
Don