Fast Tracks Jigs.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
cyclingshane73 said:
One more quick question as well. I have a 25W soldering iron. A lot of the stuff I've come across mentions a 30-35W iron. Will the 25W iron be adequate enough to use in the construction of turnouts? I've melted solder with it before, so I don't see why not. I'd also rather not run out and by ANOTHER soldering gun. I already own a 100-140 gun but that might get too hot. If all else fails I could whip out some propane and my flint and light a torch.sign1

Cyclingshane73

I used a 40 watt iron in the past, but I filled my frogs with solder, and then sawed out the flangeways afterwards.

I watched Steve Hatch use some very fine solder (0.15" diameter) when he was doing his demonstration. He just layed a fine bead along the joints of the wing rails and frog. Looked a whole lot easier than my crude methods, and not nearly the heat required. See if you can get the rail hot enough for a good solder joint with the small diameter solder - I think it will work well, but your attempt will tell for sure.

I know you don't want to buy another iron, but a 40 watt is not real expensive (less than $20). I have a 25 and 40 watt irons, a 75/150 watt gun, and then the propane torch when I really need the heat. Each one works well for certain applications.

yours in soldering