Fascia Boards--What color?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jim de Bree, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Jim de Bree

Jim de Bree Member

I am in the process of installing fasia boards to my layout. What color do you use? My layout is largely urban with a section of western desert and mountains. The mountains are colored a reddish brown as is typical in many parts of the west.
  2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I like a black facia, & valance, because it tends to make the colors on the layout, regardless of what they are, really stand out. (IMHO)
  3. Casey Feedwater

Casey Feedwater Member

I agree with Charlie.

For years, it seemed like the most popular fascia material was wood paneling or masonite painted a light to medium beige. A few layouts that I saw used dark green or some other color, but not many.

Lately, though, I've been seeing more layouts going with black or dark-colored valances and fascias for the reasons Charlie stated. Also, I think it tends to be less distracting than lighter colors. Personally, I like it, and it's what I'm using on the completed portions of my layout.
  4. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

The one area where I have painted my fascia is a dark green color. It looks pretty smart.
  5. billk

billk Active Member

I think the main thing is that the color not distract one's eye from the star attraction - your layout. So it should be a muted color that complements, or at least doesn't contrast too much with, the overall color of your layout.
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Many years ago, I did a stint as a carpenter for a local ballet company...One time one of the set painters told me, "If you paint it black, it's invisible..."
    At the time, I thought this was a pretty crazy concept, but years later, after being involved in this hobby, I realized exactly what he was talking about...even though a viewer may see a black object, their eye tends to move on to where the color is.
  7. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I paint my valances, and the ceiling above the aisle areas, black. I plan to paint my fascias a dark brown however.

Gary
  8. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The Lake County Model Railroad Club, is painting the fascias a dark green. Doesn't look too bad so far.
  9. Catt

Catt Guest

I prefer a dark green myself.
  10. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

I prefer Black. I think it is more a matter of taste.
  11. Jim de Bree

Jim de Bree Member

thanks everyone

One last question for those of you recommending black. Are you using flat or gloss?
  12. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

13. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

I also prefer black (flat) as your eye tends to look at everything except the fascia for the most part as Charlie and others stated. However I have seen some done in a dark green and they were O.K. but I still prefer the flat black. :)

Attached Files:

14. Vic

Vic Active Member

There's a standard housepaint color call "blind( as in shutters)green" thats used to accent windows. Since its an almost black green it does not detract from the surrounding colors but its a bit more visable then straight black and adds warmth to colors surrounding it.
  15. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I don't exactly have fascia, but my wife put a 3" wide ribbon in dark green around the layout.
    I read somewhere that someone at Model Railroader long ago (Linn Westcott maybe?) used to paint the fascia as if it were a cut through the earth with geological layers and fossils.
  16. marty w.

marty w. Member

Jim - Great topic - I have been ready to paint my fascia for along time. I been struggling with a color.
    Does the flat black leave marks? If you belt buckle would rub it or something?
    Marty
  17. Casey Feedwater

Casey Feedwater Member

Marty, I've not had any problems with marks. I suppose if I really scraped it hard with something, I might notice a mark. But I try to stay away from the fascia when working on the layout anyway.

And for whatever it's worth, I've had (photographic) darkrooms in every house I've lived in since I was a kid. I painted all of them - even the counter tops and enlarger table - with flat black. Again, I don't recall any serious marks or scrapes on the areas that I typically brushed up against. Of course, I usually wear an apron when working with chemicals, so that probably provided some protection to the paint. I'd never really thought about it until now. :rolleyes: :)
  18. Casey Feedwater

Casey Feedwater Member

Tyson: Over the years, I have seen several very nice N scale layouts on NMRA tours. From what I've seen of the Nanthalia Midland in your photos, I'd say it ranks right up there with the very best. I'm really impressed! :cool: :)
  19. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Thanks Casey, coming from somebody of your considerable skills thats real nice nice to hear (read) ! :)