Fascia Boards--What color?

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
I am in the process of installing fasia boards to my layout. What color do you use? My layout is largely urban with a section of western desert and mountains. The mountains are colored a reddish brown as is typical in many parts of the west.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I like a black facia, & valance, because it tends to make the colors on the layout, regardless of what they are, really stand out. (IMHO)

I agree with Charlie.

For years, it seemed like the most popular fascia material was wood paneling or masonite painted a light to medium beige. A few layouts that I saw used dark green or some other color, but not many.

Lately, though, I've been seeing more layouts going with black or dark-colored valances and fascias for the reasons Charlie stated. Also, I think it tends to be less distracting than lighter colors. Personally, I like it, and it's what I'm using on the completed portions of my layout.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I think the main thing is that the color not distract one's eye from the star attraction - your layout. So it should be a muted color that complements, or at least doesn't contrast too much with, the overall color of your layout.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by billk
I think the main thing is that the color not distract one's eye from the star attraction - your layout....

Many years ago, I did a stint as a carpenter for a local ballet company...One time one of the set painters told me, "If you paint it black, it's invisible..."
At the time, I thought this was a pretty crazy concept, but years later, after being involved in this hobby, I realized exactly what he was talking about...even though a viewer may see a black object, their eye tends to move on to where the color is.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
I also prefer black (flat) as your eye tends to look at everything except the fascia for the most part as Charlie and others stated. However I have seen some done in a dark green and they were O.K. but I still prefer the flat black. :)

Attachments

• facia.jpg
    facia.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
There's a standard housepaint color call "blind( as in shutters)green" thats used to accent windows. Since its an almost black green it does not detract from the surrounding colors but its a bit more visable then straight black and adds warmth to colors surrounding it.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I don't exactly have fascia, but my wife put a 3" wide ribbon in dark green around the layout.
I read somewhere that someone at Model Railroader long ago (Linn Westcott maybe?) used to paint the fascia as if it were a cut through the earth with geological layers and fossils.

Originally posted by marty w.
Jim - Great topic - I have been ready to paint my fascia for along time. I been struggling with a color.
Does the flat black leave marks? If you belt buckle would rub it or something?
Marty

Marty, I've not had any problems with marks. I suppose if I really scraped it hard with something, I might notice a mark. But I try to stay away from the fascia when working on the layout anyway.

And for whatever it's worth, I've had (photographic) darkrooms in every house I've lived in since I was a kid. I painted all of them - even the counter tops and enlarger table - with flat black. Again, I don't recall any serious marks or scrapes on the areas that I typically brushed up against. Of course, I usually wear an apron when working with chemicals, so that probably provided some protection to the paint. I'd never really thought about it until now. :rolleyes: :)