Fana JU-87B Stuka

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Jun 9, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I'm on to my next Stuka (I know, you're bored to tears of them already! Well...I'm not!:grin: :wink: ). This time I'll be attempting the Modele Kartonowego Fana JU-87 B. The B is my favorite version of the stuka so I'm looking forward to this one. The kit is cleanly and sharply printed and is one of the few stuka kits with good color. Unfortunately, I screwed that up! I scanned and printed the kit; after the Maly version I'm just going to do that on every kit as a precaution! But I'm not very comfortable with the printer and the color figeting features yet, so this one came out darker and less sharp than the kit itself. Live and learn! I figured out the issues after I printed the kit, of course!
    [​IMG]
    The level of detail is comparable to the early GPM kits, which is not all that detailed. But that's fine with me as that's just about where my skills are now. I'm glad Halinski isn't bringing out a Stuka! I couldn't handle that kind of detail!
    Here's as far as I got today;
    [​IMG]
    I've cut out all the formers and started the cockpit interior. The instruction diagrams aren't all that involved and I would have liked to have seen them larger, but at this point they look workable and the kit looks like it should go together well (fingers crossed!). I do like the idea behind the wheel struts. It looks as though they are designed to slip into slots after the wings are done. I'll find out soon enough!
    Chris
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey, I'm not bored with these Stukas! I can watch you build them forever!

Modelers are typically a dedicated bunch, ya know.
    We can sit and work on a model for years, marveling at each little piece,
    it's fabrication process and it's eventual fit and function also!
    We are easily classed as insane too!:twisted:

So, build on, you conquistador of the Stuka Empire!
    You are off to a wonderful start and we are always at the ready to peek in and awe at your creations!:grin:

Russell
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

Why bored? For 10,20 or 30 stukas? Nah, maybe after 1000 I can be a little less interested :wink:
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Progress for today;
    [​IMG]
    Finished the cockpit interior. There's not much here, but the seat is nice. It's 13 pieces itself and fits together nicely. The radio operator's seat wasn't quite as easy to get together, but no real problem. I do wish the diagrams were a little better. It took me a while to figure out where the radioman's strap went. I haven't seen it modeled before and it's not even shown in most of the reference material I have. I did eventually find a good diagram that showed it.
    [​IMG]
    Got the basic fuselage together and overall the fit has been very good. The seams are probably the best I've done to date (not saying much!:grin: ) and I'm sure the quality of the kit is responsible for that. I did manage a dimple here and a glue spot there, though. There' s a little less detail than I first thought and the printing job I did on it doesn't help. But it's an enjoyable build so far and I look forward to the rest of it.
    Chris
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Not much progress today. Basic wings and that was all I had time for. The tail went together without any real issue, except that the folded card support seemed a bit unwieldy, so I cut a strip of wood to use. (the photo makes the tail look worse than it really is!);
    [​IMG]
    The honeymoon with this one ended when I got to the main wings. I made a real mess of it. I should have checked the wing yoke piece and the bulkhead next to it...different sizes.:???: Not a good fit there. One of the inner wing sections fit just fine, but the other was a bit of a nightmare. With much ado, I cobbled it together;[​IMG]
    It came out OK, but only because the fairing pieces covered the mess. It shouldn't have been such a job. I know I'm just an average modeler and some of it must have been do to my lack of skill, but I've done a number of stukas and not had this much problem before.
    [​IMG]
    It's a decent looking kit, and overall the fit is indeed very good. But now we get to the fiddly bits!
    Chris
  6. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

cjwalas
    Please keep builing them! I just started the fiddlersgreen Stucka and I decided that I want to convert it to RC. So I have been looking at it and the idea you came up with for the tail will help me. So, Keep em coming!
    Thanks
    Geo
  7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Finished, but not well. Sorry about the photo quality, still half asleep.
    [​IMG]
    This kit does build into one of the more accurate looking Ju-87 models I've seen. There are aspects of the design that I really like; the wheel support structure is great and very strong, the color is very good.
    But this particular version of the kit does not come with a bomb! Apparently, if I understand this right, the bomb and long range wings tanks were supplied in one of the card model magazines. That was a disappointment, but I just used the bomb from a GPM Stuka. There are also no attaching hinge pieces for the ailerons for some reason and they need to be fabricated from scratch.
    I was also unhappy with the wheel spats. They are too thin and are difficult to reform and the bottom pieces did not fit at all and had to be trimmed quite a bit.
    [​IMG]
    All in all, I feel it's an odd kit in that it's not detailed enough for a good modeler and doesn't go together as easily as others for more novice or lower skilled builders like myself. I believe this is the same kit that DeWayne offers as a digital kit (?) For me, the English instructions would have been a godsend as the diagrams do not fully show some assemblies well enough.
    At any rate, it was interesting to see how the designer, Marek, dealt with some of the more difficult aspects. With the exceptions of the above sighted issues, he's put together a very presentable version of the B variant of the JU-87.

[​IMG]
    I think I'll take a break from Stukas for a little while. I still have a few more kits to go and I don't want to lose my enthusiasm by too much, too fast!
    Chris
  8. damraska

damraska Member

DeWayne offers the exact same model in digital format, but it includes the bomb and tanks. You can see it built up here (one of my oldest reviews):

http://www.damraska.com/model_ju87.lasso

He also offers the exact same model in tropical livery. You can see the completed tropical version here:

http://www.damraska.com/card_review.lasso?id=8MH320CZR0N2

I had the exact same problems with regards to flap hinges, aileron hinges, and wheel boots. On the other hand, I found that the wings fit so well I could have left the fairings off.

The recent GPM kit is much more detailed, and the winter whitewash camouflage is truely superlative. You can see that one built up here:

http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4807

GPM did a larger Stuka with a full engine that received good reviews, but I have yet to build that one. The fairly recent tank buster version by Try Krapky looks a lot like Marek's offerings. I sold mine because the colors were off. I eagerly await the tank buster version by Dr. Zarkov.

-Doug
  9. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Doug, when I got to the missing hinges, it rang a bell and I went back to look at your review. That's when I figured it had to be the same model. Does DeWayne's version come with English instructions?
    I'm looking forward to the winter GPM D3 and the larger one as well, but I suspect I'll print that down to 1:33.
    The Try Krapny one looks like it taken directly from the Maly version. And I agree, the colors are horrible on that one. It looks like they were running out of ink!
    Thanks for the confirmation that it's the digital one as well.
    Chris
  10. alaimo@jcu.edu

cjwalas
    damraska
    Please, What web site can I find this Dewayne version at?
    cjwalas
    For what it's worth, You helped me again with the posting of your pics. I just finished my Stuka from FG, and I am evluating it for my conversions. I din't have enough detail pics with the "kit" and I was to lazy to look on line (I usually build 2-5 of the same plane if I am going to r/c fly it) So, I add libbed. I think I will make the additions that your kit shows/has and I may make this into a flier if it pass the play with my kid test. . .So, Thanks for doing Stukas!
  11. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Here's DeWayne's site;
    http://www.teuton.org/dbarnett/
    Look under "Large Scale" for the Stukas
    I'll be interested to your RC version, if it gets that far. Glad my stuka builds can help someone!
    Chris
  12. alaimo@jcu.edu

Thanks!
    If you and "You all" don't laugh to hard, I'll post a pic or two of the models I have built so far to "test." Keep in mind they are built fast quick and dirty, purpose to see where I need to beef up landing gears wings etc., Where I can lighten up the airframe with diffrent weights paper and card stock, to quickly build the model in 110lb to "weigh it," usually they come in around 12 grams which theoretically is light enough for the motor and radio gear I am using etc. . .
  13. damraska

damraska Member

My apologizes but I cannot remember, and I do not have the original disks handy. I will try and get them out of storage this weekend. Perhaps someone else can supply the answer before then.

One other nice thing about the digital models--they are very easy to recolor for those interested in such things.

The GPM D3 is a truely great model and I highly recommend it. The Try Krapny model was a real disappointment because of the washed out colors. However, the art style lends itself to recoloring. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone the recoloring route.

-Doug
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I don't know why you say not well, the model looks very nice!
  15. damraska

damraska Member

Here's the page breakdown of the Junkers Ju 87B-2 offered on DeWayne Barnett's website http://www.teuton.org/dbarnett/:

Page 1: Cover
    Page 2: History
    Pages 3-9: Parts
    Pages 10-11: Construction Diagrams

The model includes a bomb, bomb cradle, and two drop tanks. It does not include written instructions in any language.

The disk includes the model as an 11 page .pdf, 11 .jpeg images, and the source file in Corel Draw format!

-Doug
  16. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Wow, thanks for taking the time to dig out that info, Doug! It sure sounds like getting the disk from DeWayne is a much better deal than the Fana printed copy. Just having the diagrams in a format easily enlarged is worth it! If I ever get any better at recoloring, I'll have to give that kit a revisit. Thanks again!
    Chris
  17. damraska

damraska Member

You are very welcome. Please keep in mind that my disk is about 4 years old. I recommend emailing DeWayne directly for the latest info on the model.

If you do go the repaint route, you will find this resource very handy:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/29/2

I've linked to the Stuka list, but the site covers many, many aircraft.

-Doug
  18. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Thanks Doug! I do know that site well and it's a great resource. The only other really good Stuka color scheme site I've found is this one;
    http://www.afwing.com/gallery/ju87.htm
    I like that it's got all the thumbnails on one page. All these Stuka scheme! Decisions, decisions!
    Chris
  19. damraska

damraska Member

I was not aware of that second site. Thank you very much, Chris. So many Stuka's, so little time... I must resist. I'm supposed to be building jets!

-Doug
  20. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Any chance on getting the pictures for this build re-linked or re-uploaded? I'm thinking this is going to be my next build and would like to see these references again ;)