Fallout 3 Brotherhood of Steel Helmet

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by NoneOfTheAbove, Sep 25, 2011.

1. NoneOfTheAbove

NoneOfTheAbove New Member

Alright, time to do a proper thread, with a build log and everything.

I just started a Brotherhood of Steel helmet using the .pdo I got here. This is also my first model built right from a .pdo and nothing else, so also a learning experience.

[​IMG]
    Starting everything out

[​IMG]
    Finished the top
  2. MTK

MTK Active Member

Excellent! Glad to see yet another person using the "Paper to Plastic" method! It's spread all over the world now! Can't wait to see how this turns out, please keep us posted! You don't mind if I still put out my version do you?

3. NoneOfTheAbove

I don't mind at all. The more the better! And I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to manage the resin/fiberglass process... I need a work area, and I sort of doubt my dorm will cut it...
  4. MTK

MTK Active Member

Well, just take your time and get the card model together first and I'll help you out with the resin and polyester part of it. You should have a respirator and a well ventillated place to work, don't think the dorm is going to make it.

5. NoneOfTheAbove

Knocked out the back, ready to start around the sides

[​IMG]
  6. NoneOfTheAbove

Not sure if double-posting works, but here goes:

Finished the sides last night and this morning
    [​IMG]
    Now working down the front
    [​IMG]

I'm really liking this build. There are a few unmatched edges in the pdo that I've been correcting as I go along, but other than that, everything is fitting right into place.
  7. MTK

MTK Active Member

Looking pretty good. I'm guessing you wont be needing my assistance with the fiberglass part of it then?:thumb:
  8. NoneOfTheAbove

I think I get the theory, I just need supplies and a workspace. Maybe I'll talk to my chem professor. I can't think of anywhere better-ventilated than under a fume hood...
  9. NoneOfTheAbove

Big chunk got done yesterday:

[​IMG]

MTK, any recommendations on where to get resin/fiberglass?
  10. NoneOfTheAbove

And started on the mouth respirator thing

[​IMG]
  11. MTK

MTK Active Member

Sure.... Any Wal-Mart, in the automotive section, any car parts store, and any place that sells fiberglass boats, or just about any online vendor that sells composite materials. A simple google search should lead to more than enough places that you can shop online, or find places locally. Look on YouTube. In the last few years there have been dozens, if not hundreds of tutorials from vendors looking to sell their products, not to mention new fiberglass folks that want to show what they learned. I'd venture to say that since I started the 350th TOS Enterprise the method has exploded world wide.

BTW, you're doing a fine job on the build and have inspired me to get back to work on a few things.:thumb:

12. NoneOfTheAbove

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll head out tomorrow and have a look. One more update before I finish the paper part... I definitely hit the point where I have to finish tonight, even if it's absurdly late.

[​IMG]
  13. MTK

MTK Active Member

Looks great, please make sure you post photos of the fiberglass and polyester work you do as well. I love to see people expand their horizons and actually try something new!:thumb:

14. NoneOfTheAbove

The weather was rather uncooperative today, so I didn't manage to do any resin. Thursday is looking great though. Instead I decided to try my hand at unfolding...

[​IMG]

http://www.mediafire.com/?xet2ii8fos47fwm

It's printed out and sitting on my desk now.
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

Excellent! More, more! Thanks to you I've been working on the Cylon, the Stormtrooper and the Spartan!:mrgreen::thumb:
  16. NoneOfTheAbove

Well today was a learning experience... A few notes to my future self:
    Check the forecast for wind as well as rain.
    PVC gloves are great for safety, not so great when the fiberglass cloth sticks to them.

So I'm about 75% done with fiberglassing. If the weather calms down, I'll finish tonight.
  17. NoneOfTheAbove

Finally got the fiberglassing done. I think it turned out great .There's still a bit of flex in the bottom edge, but Bondo should help with that. The only thing is there's loose fiberglass strands everywhere...
    [​IMG]

I'm heading home for the weekend for a concert, and while I'm there I'll pick up my Dremel, so I should be able to start with Bondo and detailing by Tuesday