Factory or 'Do-It-Yourself'

Voice2

I have only 4 locos (2 Atlas and 2 Kato because of the reputation each manufacturer has here).

Do you folks prefer to get factory installed decoders, or put your own choice of decoder in (and why)?

My 2 Atlas's have factory decoders in them, and I will be dropping my own into my Kato P42's (most likely Digitrax).

I've read here that the later Atlas's use Lenz decoders and they seem to be highly regarded here.

rksstl

With me it usually depends on the price of the loco, if its a good deal with the decoder I'll get it, if it doesn't have a factory decoder I'll install my own.

caellis

I usually buy DCC ready locos and install the decoders myself. Why? Saves money and I enjoy doing it. If the loco is DCC ready the hardest part of the install is removing the cab on the loco and then re-installing same.
If it is not DCC ready then some figuring out of the wiring is required... again I enjoy doing this.

Most decoders come with good install instructions.

I have many years of soldering skills and use an EDSYN soldering station if I must do soldering.

'DCC ready' generally means there is already a socket installed to plug in a decoder.

I think installing at least one decoder should be considered as it helps educate you in another area of this hobby.