F-89 "Scorpion"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by NOBI, Aug 23, 2005.

1. keith

keith Member

Yes it does :D

In metasequoias main windows menu system with file, edit, attribute...etc
    there is one labeled view, in the dropdown menu under view, select 'set background images'.

Clicl load to set the path to the image for each view.
    I don't think you need to load one for the persp view.
    I think you need to load the same one for each of the top, front, left views.

Then go to 4view mode, if your not in it already, it's the funny 4 square image (not buttonised) in the top RIGHT under the words Sel Lock.

You can move the images in each viewport with the BkImg command in the command panel ( at the bottom next to view ).

The images can be .bmp .jpg .ppm .tga .png .iff .tim

K.Withers
  2. keith

keith Member

Yes it does :D

In metasequoias main windows menu system with file, edit, attribute...etc
    there is one labeled view, in the dropdown menu under view, select 'set background images'.

Clicl load to set the path to the image for each view.
    I don't think you need to load one for the persp view.
    I think you need to load the same one for each of the top, front, left views.

Then go to 4view mode, if your not in it already, it's the funny 4 square image (not buttonised) in the top RIGHT under the words Sel Lock.

You can move the images in each viewport with the BkImg command in the command panel ( at the bottom next to view ).

The images can be .bmp .jpg .ppm .tga .png .iff .tim

K.Withers
  3. Maurice

Maurice Member

Bowt time you showed up.
    Still, better late than never.

Oh... and welcome.
    :D

Cheers
    Maurice
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Bowt time you showed up.
    Still, better late than never.

Oh... and welcome.
    :D

Cheers
    Maurice
  5. Mace

Mace Member

6. Mace

Mace Member

7. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

i have no answer hehehe above reply answer all u want for import image into metaseq
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

i have no answer hehehe above reply answer all u want for import image into metaseq
  9. barry

barry Active Member

metaseq

NOBI

I will do that asap.

@Maurice and Keith

Now whyI am I not suprised at Maurices comment

Glad to see you here

barry
  10. barry

barry Active Member

metaseq

NOBI

I will do that asap.

@Maurice and Keith

Now whyI am I not suprised at Maurices comment

Glad to see you here

barry
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Jim

Which ship are you modelling is it one of the ones you let see.

barry
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Jim

Which ship are you modelling is it one of the ones you let see.

barry
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks, Keith...guess I need new reading glasses. :wink:

Well, thanks for the warm welcome...you too, Maurice. :lol:
    I've been kind of busy, but I have been following this thread for a while, thinking about trying out this program to help design a ship model. Not sure if this is going to work out, but I figured it's worth a try and maybe I can learn something along the way. One thing already came to mind, my admiration for those that design these models has increased by leaps and bounds since seeing how this process works; I already figured it was a very time intensive process, but this thread has only emphasized how much time and dedication it takes to design a model, so my hat is off to all of your designers even more so!

I think it's obvious this is a whole new road I'm trying to navigate, so it's gonna be baby steps pretty much all the way for me...just hope I don't wear out the welcome too soon....

Hi, Barry, me ol' mate...yep, it's the containership Maersk Sealand that I'm going to play around with, just to see how this program might help in getting a ship model designed...never did this sort of thing before, so I'm not sure how it's going to work out. I hear Rhino might be another program used to design models, but I really can't justify spending the cash to get that software, especially since I'm just starting out and not sure how this is going to work out.

Anyway, here's a glimpse of how that background image worked out, or BkImg as you folks say. :D

[​IMG]

Yeah, gotta clean up that drawing a bit if it's going to be usable, but even as is perhaps you might still be able to tell, the grid covers only a wee bit of the oveall picture...I have to read up on how, if you can, expand the grid to cover the whole ship, not just a part of it. :roll: Oh, did I mention how this is going to be a slow process for me? :lol:

Anyway, one thing I would ask those who know this program very well, if I intend this to be a waterline model, would I need not just the deck plan for the top view but also the waterline plan to get the hull sides curved right? Any thoughts on how best to use this program to get a ship's hull shape, waterline version for now, would be very appreciated...not saying I'll understand it yet, but ya gotta start somewhere...like reading the tutorial. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Keith...guess I need new reading glasses. :wink:

Well, thanks for the warm welcome...you too, Maurice. :lol:
    I've been kind of busy, but I have been following this thread for a while, thinking about trying out this program to help design a ship model. Not sure if this is going to work out, but I figured it's worth a try and maybe I can learn something along the way. One thing already came to mind, my admiration for those that design these models has increased by leaps and bounds since seeing how this process works; I already figured it was a very time intensive process, but this thread has only emphasized how much time and dedication it takes to design a model, so my hat is off to all of your designers even more so!

I think it's obvious this is a whole new road I'm trying to navigate, so it's gonna be baby steps pretty much all the way for me...just hope I don't wear out the welcome too soon....

Hi, Barry, me ol' mate...yep, it's the containership Maersk Sealand that I'm going to play around with, just to see how this program might help in getting a ship model designed...never did this sort of thing before, so I'm not sure how it's going to work out. I hear Rhino might be another program used to design models, but I really can't justify spending the cash to get that software, especially since I'm just starting out and not sure how this is going to work out.

Anyway, here's a glimpse of how that background image worked out, or BkImg as you folks say. :D

[​IMG]

Yeah, gotta clean up that drawing a bit if it's going to be usable, but even as is perhaps you might still be able to tell, the grid covers only a wee bit of the oveall picture...I have to read up on how, if you can, expand the grid to cover the whole ship, not just a part of it. :roll: Oh, did I mention how this is going to be a slow process for me? :lol:

Anyway, one thing I would ask those who know this program very well, if I intend this to be a waterline model, would I need not just the deck plan for the top view but also the waterline plan to get the hull sides curved right? Any thoughts on how best to use this program to get a ship's hull shape, waterline version for now, would be very appreciated...not saying I'll understand it yet, but ya gotta start somewhere...like reading the tutorial. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  15. keith

keith Member

Thanks for the welcome :)
    I did join years ago before the change in servers and all the down time, guess i was deleted.

I'm impressed with NOBI's tutorial, it's taught me some things i didn't know. I'm also impressed with everyone taking up the challenge of learning how to do this.

BTW the metadocs are more of a software manual and less of a tutorial at the moment, i'm still writing the 'dummies guide' on how to do the important 'simple' things. But it will still be a general 3D modeling tutorial, i'm going to leave the designing paper models tutorials to folks like NOBI.

To be honest i have only used metasequoia to make one papermodel, which took over 200 hours computer time just to unfold and another 200+ hours to colour in! Most of my models are designed in 2D using PSP. :shock:

Jim, i'd try modeling the entire hull and then cutting off the bottom, that way you don't need to make 2 hulls.

Keith
  16. keith

keith Member

Thanks for the welcome :)
    I did join years ago before the change in servers and all the down time, guess i was deleted.

I'm impressed with NOBI's tutorial, it's taught me some things i didn't know. I'm also impressed with everyone taking up the challenge of learning how to do this.

BTW the metadocs are more of a software manual and less of a tutorial at the moment, i'm still writing the 'dummies guide' on how to do the important 'simple' things. But it will still be a general 3D modeling tutorial, i'm going to leave the designing paper models tutorials to folks like NOBI.

To be honest i have only used metasequoia to make one papermodel, which took over 200 hours computer time just to unfold and another 200+ hours to colour in! Most of my models are designed in 2D using PSP. :shock:

Jim, i'd try modeling the entire hull and then cutting off the bottom, that way you don't need to make 2 hulls.

Keith
  17. barry

barry Active Member

metaseq

Hi Jim

This the blind leading the blind.....................

Like everything else preperation is a lot of the battle clean up the plans and I would suggest that you seperate the formers into a couple of groups even with your magnifiers. You can move the backgrounds at any time to get the right pattern under the crosshairs.

The hardest thing to get your head around is that each point is addressable through the edit panel (which by the way is absolutely essential in contradiction to the site I passed on to you the other day) in three planes and unlike a mouse the buttons only work left to right which is an odd feeling. If you have the perspective panel showing you can see what is happening.

If you get a point throwing itself off into the distance press undo point almost anywhere far enough away from the point in question and just pull and push it up and down the axes with panel till it goes where you want it (not the pull button on the panel). Same thing if it says it already has that point.

I find I can keep track better if I make each former an object.

anybody would think I know what I am talking about which I don't.

I also cut down the size of the background to 1200 x 800 or so pixels I think it affects the scaling ?

I think if you are doing a waterline hull you need a false centrline along the hull to rotate against as I think you will see from the pic below (I may well be wrong). The base should take care of itself when you join up the formers.

Hope this helps

[​IMG]

barry

ps I made 3 copies of the plans 1 for each pane I got the feeling they could get interconnected (overkill again).
  18. barry

barry Active Member

metaseq

Hi Jim

This the blind leading the blind.....................

Like everything else preperation is a lot of the battle clean up the plans and I would suggest that you seperate the formers into a couple of groups even with your magnifiers. You can move the backgrounds at any time to get the right pattern under the crosshairs.

The hardest thing to get your head around is that each point is addressable through the edit panel (which by the way is absolutely essential in contradiction to the site I passed on to you the other day) in three planes and unlike a mouse the buttons only work left to right which is an odd feeling. If you have the perspective panel showing you can see what is happening.

If you get a point throwing itself off into the distance press undo point almost anywhere far enough away from the point in question and just pull and push it up and down the axes with panel till it goes where you want it (not the pull button on the panel). Same thing if it says it already has that point.

I find I can keep track better if I make each former an object.

anybody would think I know what I am talking about which I don't.

I also cut down the size of the background to 1200 x 800 or so pixels I think it affects the scaling ?

I think if you are doing a waterline hull you need a false centrline along the hull to rotate against as I think you will see from the pic below (I may well be wrong). The base should take care of itself when you join up the formers.

Hope this helps

[​IMG]

barry

ps I made 3 copies of the plans 1 for each pane I got the feeling they could get interconnected (overkill again).
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Guys! :D

Boy is my face red...I thought Maurice was welcoming me... :roll:

You're right, Keith, I'd better use the whole hull format, it'll be easier doing it once...I suppose I can slice and dice later on, once the hull is formed.

Thanks, Barry, I've got some cleaning up to do on the background image, but I wonder how it's going to work, i.e., how it gets joined together later, if I work on one section of the hull at a time...my concern is I don't have a firm grasp of how the scaling function works at this early stage, and I really need to be sure I keep all the sections in the same scale.

My drawing is at 1/700 scale, and even at that it's a whopper of a size which means the grid covers only a small section of the background "template" at a time...it seems to cover only two and three-quarters of a container cell within the confines of that grid. I'll clean up the template background first and then post a screen shot to show you what I mean later.

If, for instance, (just thinking out loud, mind you) I make the midship section covering a few hold sections, and save that work, how do I then add on to it (within the grid) without having to realign one or more of the axis (which I suppose are the "Y" and "X" axis)? Or, put another way, how do I ensure the next portion is of the same proper cross-section shape to match up at the common joints? While I know the position of the background template can be altered (that is, moved left or right to cover a further section forward or aft of the midships), the resulting part I made from that will be an entirely new part, and not connected with the first one, am I right? Or can the grid be expanded somehow to allow you to work on the entire profile view? Again, I really apologize if this all sounds rather basic, but, dare I mention again, this is my first stab into using anything like this program? :wink:

If someone who really knows this program (hey, that includes you, Barry) could perhaps take a few lines and explain a) is the grid size set or can it be elongated to cover the entire hull length of the background and b) if I am limited to the given grid, what is a good way to ensure any subsequent parts (assuming I am forced to build this hull in sections) will have the same scale and size, at least as to the common panels/faces? I suppose it's a simple matter that I might eventually figure out some years down the road, but if anyone has some suggestions, I would really appreciate your views.

Thanks guys for putting up with me...so far. :wink:
    Jim
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Guys! :D

Boy is my face red...I thought Maurice was welcoming me... :roll:

You're right, Keith, I'd better use the whole hull format, it'll be easier doing it once...I suppose I can slice and dice later on, once the hull is formed.

Thanks, Barry, I've got some cleaning up to do on the background image, but I wonder how it's going to work, i.e., how it gets joined together later, if I work on one section of the hull at a time...my concern is I don't have a firm grasp of how the scaling function works at this early stage, and I really need to be sure I keep all the sections in the same scale.

My drawing is at 1/700 scale, and even at that it's a whopper of a size which means the grid covers only a small section of the background "template" at a time...it seems to cover only two and three-quarters of a container cell within the confines of that grid. I'll clean up the template background first and then post a screen shot to show you what I mean later.

If, for instance, (just thinking out loud, mind you) I make the midship section covering a few hold sections, and save that work, how do I then add on to it (within the grid) without having to realign one or more of the axis (which I suppose are the "Y" and "X" axis)? Or, put another way, how do I ensure the next portion is of the same proper cross-section shape to match up at the common joints? While I know the position of the background template can be altered (that is, moved left or right to cover a further section forward or aft of the midships), the resulting part I made from that will be an entirely new part, and not connected with the first one, am I right? Or can the grid be expanded somehow to allow you to work on the entire profile view? Again, I really apologize if this all sounds rather basic, but, dare I mention again, this is my first stab into using anything like this program? :wink:

If someone who really knows this program (hey, that includes you, Barry) could perhaps take a few lines and explain a) is the grid size set or can it be elongated to cover the entire hull length of the background and b) if I am limited to the given grid, what is a good way to ensure any subsequent parts (assuming I am forced to build this hull in sections) will have the same scale and size, at least as to the common panels/faces? I suppose it's a simple matter that I might eventually figure out some years down the road, but if anyone has some suggestions, I would really appreciate your views.

Thanks guys for putting up with me...so far. :wink:
    Jim