F-89 "Scorpion"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by NOBI, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

20mm on a balloon, 30mm on a helicopter (A-10 against Iraq helicopter 1990), and unguided rockets on a single plane.........too much for the job.
    6 Good 'ole' 50 cals and them babies would have been toast!

Sometimes were thing bigger, better, faster is the way to go. And it ain't.

Bet the Scorpion and Hornet pilots have a good talking to once they got back!
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

20mm on a balloon, 30mm on a helicopter (A-10 against Iraq helicopter 1990), and unguided rockets on a single plane.........too much for the job.
    6 Good 'ole' 50 cals and them babies would have been toast!

Sometimes were thing bigger, better, faster is the way to go. And it ain't.

Bet the Scorpion and Hornet pilots have a good talking to once they got back!
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<6 Good 'ole' 50 cals and them babies would have been toast! >

It seems that the balloon had some sort of self sealant compound on the inner walls that could cope with the 20mm shells passing through it, likely it would have also sealed .50 holes.

I wonder what would have happened if they had lowered their arrestor hooks and raked the balloon with them?

As for inappropriate weapons being used, one of 439s pilots loosed off an AIM-9 at an Iraqi patrol boat in the first Gulf War. He claimed that he had a good lock on tone, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. As far as I know he never lived it down.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

<6 Good 'ole' 50 cals and them babies would have been toast! >

It seems that the balloon had some sort of self sealant compound on the inner walls that could cope with the 20mm shells passing through it, likely it would have also sealed .50 holes.

I wonder what would have happened if they had lowered their arrestor hooks and raked the balloon with them?

As for inappropriate weapons being used, one of 439s pilots loosed off an AIM-9 at an Iraqi patrol boat in the first Gulf War. He claimed that he had a good lock on tone, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. As far as I know he never lived it down.
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I was just looking at this thread and realized I can't add :oops: . Should have said 104 rockets per plane or 52 per pod. Thanks guys for not making fun of me for that. :roll:
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I was just looking at this thread and realized I can't add :oops: . Should have said 104 rockets per plane or 52 per pod. Thanks guys for not making fun of me for that. :roll:
  7. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

well back to model, today is time for landing gear...make new object and re-name as landing gear and create 16x1 cylinder use primitive button resize and position like below (in top view port)

[​IMG]

change viewport to back and use edit panel re-size cylinder like below

[​IMG]

in that image, i use plug-in "wire" to delete all face of cylinder and pull line like that

next is use create button create a line in new object like below

[​IMG]

change viewport to left and pull line u create using pull button

[​IMG]

create face from line u pull in last procedure using create button

[​IMG]

re-size and rotate using edit panel like below

[​IMG]

create new object, create cylinder 16x1 (for wheel)

[​IMG]

rotate that cylinder 60 degre by Z-axis using edit panel

[​IMG]

resize and locate that cylinder into its position

[​IMG]

main landing gear is finish :)
  8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

well back to model, today is time for landing gear...make new object and re-name as landing gear and create 16x1 cylinder use primitive button resize and position like below (in top view port)

[​IMG]

change viewport to back and use edit panel re-size cylinder like below

[​IMG]

in that image, i use plug-in "wire" to delete all face of cylinder and pull line like that

next is use create button create a line in new object like below

[​IMG]

change viewport to left and pull line u create using pull button

[​IMG]

create face from line u pull in last procedure using create button

[​IMG]

re-size and rotate using edit panel like below

[​IMG]

create new object, create cylinder 16x1 (for wheel)

[​IMG]

rotate that cylinder 60 degre by Z-axis using edit panel

[​IMG]

resize and locate that cylinder into its position

[​IMG]

main landing gear is finish :)
  9. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

After this question i work to find out about metaseq's measurement and result is below

First i make a 1x1x1 cubic from primitive button

[​IMG]

then save in .mqo then load into pepakura

[​IMG]

Create development in pepakura make sure that checkbox auto is uncheck and scale of development is 1.00

[​IMG]

unfold job is create

[​IMG]

import unfold job into coreldraw and measure, result is 0.99 mm or 1 cm mean 1 unit in metaseq unfold in pepakura mean 1 cm in unfold job

[​IMG]

after that question appear...what about 1 unit in metaseq compare with another 3d program? so i open that cubic in metaseq and export as .3ds or 3D Studio format...then open Rhino set unit in Rhino as millimetre

[​IMG]

then import .3ds cubic into and use menu Analyze > Distance to measure

[​IMG]

result is 1 millimetre...cool, that mean metaseq not count in millimetre or centimetre. metaseq count everything in unit, when import into another 3d program, u can set unit to millimetre, centimetre or anything u want

[​IMG]

conclusion :
    1 unit in metaseq = 1 unit in other 3D program = 1 cm in pepakura
  10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

After this question i work to find out about metaseq's measurement and result is below

First i make a 1x1x1 cubic from primitive button

[​IMG]

then save in .mqo then load into pepakura

[​IMG]

Create development in pepakura make sure that checkbox auto is uncheck and scale of development is 1.00

[​IMG]

unfold job is create

[​IMG]

import unfold job into coreldraw and measure, result is 0.99 mm or 1 cm mean 1 unit in metaseq unfold in pepakura mean 1 cm in unfold job

[​IMG]

after that question appear...what about 1 unit in metaseq compare with another 3d program? so i open that cubic in metaseq and export as .3ds or 3D Studio format...then open Rhino set unit in Rhino as millimetre

[​IMG]

then import .3ds cubic into and use menu Analyze > Distance to measure

[​IMG]

result is 1 millimetre...cool, that mean metaseq not count in millimetre or centimetre. metaseq count everything in unit, when import into another 3d program, u can set unit to millimetre, centimetre or anything u want

[​IMG]

conclusion :
    1 unit in metaseq = 1 unit in other 3D program = 1 cm in pepakura
  11. barry

barry Active Member

metaseq question

Hi NOBI

A couple of questions please

1 Can I stop the automatic jumping to what metaseq considers to be the nearest point

2 I keep getting a message of "That point already exists" even after knifing the former.

3 Is a face only produced by pull or is any closed area a face.

4 when you say edit for example the cylinderical shape for the wing tanks what are you selecting to move the shape upwards.

Sorry to impose on your immense good nature

regards

barry
  12. barry

barry Active Member

metaseq question

Hi NOBI

A couple of questions please

1 Can I stop the automatic jumping to what metaseq considers to be the nearest point

2 I keep getting a message of "That point already exists" even after knifing the former.

3 Is a face only produced by pull or is any closed area a face.

4 when you say edit for example the cylinderical shape for the wing tanks what are you selecting to move the shape upwards.

Sorry to impose on your immense good nature

regards

barry
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Re: metaseq question

for me, i will try to not create point what metaseq will automatic jumping to nearlest point, i will make a point far away and then use editpanel to move it closer

[​IMG]

picture above, i have 2 point what want to move closer. i create 2 pint but far away to avoid automatic join, then use edit panel move in Z axis like below

[​IMG]

knife button use to cut everything, if u cut former (i think u mean surface) u must drag mouse cross over surface to cut it. "Thay point already exists" message, i saw when i create a 3 or 4 piont face and i repeat select a point what i select before. see picture below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pull will make a surface from line like below

[​IMG]

if u want to extrut face u can use Extrud button, select face u want to extrut and drag like below

[​IMG]

in metaseq, if u want to move anything. u cant use mouse select and drag like another 3dprogram. u must use edit panel to move. edit panel have 3 rows, first row is for moving in each axis (x,y and z) second row for scale in each axis and last row is for rotate in each axis. if u want to move some object in z axis, just select object then drag at z button in first row to left of right, object will move follow through your drag. or use move button to move them :)

nothing to say sorry, your question will make another guy learn and know more...so we will thank you for your asking. i also welcome for all question and i will try to answer all question i can... :twisted:
  14. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Re: metaseq question

for me, i will try to not create point what metaseq will automatic jumping to nearlest point, i will make a point far away and then use editpanel to move it closer

[​IMG]

picture above, i have 2 point what want to move closer. i create 2 pint but far away to avoid automatic join, then use edit panel move in Z axis like below

[​IMG]

knife button use to cut everything, if u cut former (i think u mean surface) u must drag mouse cross over surface to cut it. "Thay point already exists" message, i saw when i create a 3 or 4 piont face and i repeat select a point what i select before. see picture below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pull will make a surface from line like below

[​IMG]

if u want to extrut face u can use Extrud button, select face u want to extrut and drag like below

[​IMG]

in metaseq, if u want to move anything. u cant use mouse select and drag like another 3dprogram. u must use edit panel to move. edit panel have 3 rows, first row is for moving in each axis (x,y and z) second row for scale in each axis and last row is for rotate in each axis. if u want to move some object in z axis, just select object then drag at z button in first row to left of right, object will move follow through your drag. or use move button to move them :)

nothing to say sorry, your question will make another guy learn and know more...so we will thank you for your asking. i also welcome for all question and i will try to answer all question i can... :twisted:
  15. barry

barry Active Member

glitches

Hi NOBi

thanks for the quick replies as you can see it helped somewhat however somewhere along the line I managed to input the extra points circled in red. Is there anyway I can delete them I do not seem able to "select" them in any way or any other point for that matter.

When looking at the faces in the view shown they seem to pop in and out of view like a yoyo which confuses my eyes terribly can you get them to stay on permanently.(I split the hull into 3 sections does this make a difference to this view)

I have tried to turn off mirroring using the object panel which has it set to "None" it seems to make no difference it just happens.

Also can you add in a point where you have forgotten one.

sorry the pics are in reverse order

regards

barry
  16. barry

barry Active Member

glitches

Hi NOBi

thanks for the quick replies as you can see it helped somewhat however somewhere along the line I managed to input the extra points circled in red. Is there anyway I can delete them I do not seem able to "select" them in any way or any other point for that matter.

When looking at the faces in the view shown they seem to pop in and out of view like a yoyo which confuses my eyes terribly can you get them to stay on permanently.(I split the hull into 3 sections does this make a difference to this view)

I have tried to turn off mirroring using the object panel which has it set to "None" it seems to make no difference it just happens.

Also can you add in a point where you have forgotten one.

sorry the pics are in reverse order

regards

barry
  17. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Barry,

Send me your file :) i want to look at it closely to see what happen. thank you very much
  18. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Barry,

Send me your file :) i want to look at it closely to see what happen. thank you very much
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Okay, Nobi...this is going to take everyone a few steps back...WAY back!

I have the shareware version loaded...now how do I take my beautiful three view drawing (jpg file) and import it into Metaseq??? When I try the "open" selection it seems the drawing file is not in the format needed to open it into the program...Sooooo, the question is how do I start out and get the drawing into the program to work with?

I noticed you used a drawing downloaded from the web for the Scorpion, what format was it in that allowed you to download it into the program and how did you set up the three views?

Yes, this is probably a very basic and dumb set of questions, but that's where I am with this...it's all new to me, so any simplified instructions would be very much appreciated as you go along.

I do have that tutorial guide Barry mentioned and am reading it, but I don't recall it telling us how to import the basic drawings that you started to work from.

Hope I'm not causing any problems as it seems everyone else knows how to start off, but I'm not that quick so I beg your indulgence. :roll:

Cheers!

Jim
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Okay, Nobi...this is going to take everyone a few steps back...WAY back!

I have the shareware version loaded...now how do I take my beautiful three view drawing (jpg file) and import it into Metaseq??? When I try the "open" selection it seems the drawing file is not in the format needed to open it into the program...Sooooo, the question is how do I start out and get the drawing into the program to work with?

I noticed you used a drawing downloaded from the web for the Scorpion, what format was it in that allowed you to download it into the program and how did you set up the three views?

Yes, this is probably a very basic and dumb set of questions, but that's where I am with this...it's all new to me, so any simplified instructions would be very much appreciated as you go along.

I do have that tutorial guide Barry mentioned and am reading it, but I don't recall it telling us how to import the basic drawings that you started to work from.

Hope I'm not causing any problems as it seems everyone else knows how to start off, but I'm not that quick so I beg your indulgence. :roll:

Cheers!

Jim