F-89 "Scorpion"

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by NOBI, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

F-89 manual material

Dear Nobi,

If this works (I may be upload challenged) there will follow some scans from F-89 manual pages. If not, look on your website, I tried to send my E-mail address, so you could contact me if you were interested.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  2. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

F-89 manual material

Dear Nobi,

If this works (I may be upload challenged) there will follow some scans from F-89 manual pages. If not, look on your website, I tried to send my E-mail address, so you could contact me if you were interested.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  3. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Re: F-89 manual material

Hi Bob

Apologized me for my poor english's understand but i cant understand your reply...u mean u have manual of F-89? or you cant find drawing of F-89 or u dont know how to upload drawing into metaseq?
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Re: F-89 manual material

Hi Bob

Apologized me for my poor english's understand but i cant understand your reply...u mean u have manual of F-89? or you cant find drawing of F-89 or u dont know how to upload drawing into metaseq?
  5. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Muhammad,

im never try Surfmaster or autocad, it look hard for me to make some mesh inside autocad. maybe your copy have some problem when install, have u ever try to uninstall and re-install again? i think u need to learn Rhino :) many Rhino's expert here and prompt to answer all question around here :twisted:
  6. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Muhammad,

im never try Surfmaster or autocad, it look hard for me to make some mesh inside autocad. maybe your copy have some problem when install, have u ever try to uninstall and re-install again? i think u need to learn Rhino :) many Rhino's expert here and prompt to answer all question around here :twisted:
  7. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Nobi,

I have some pages copied from F-89 manual about 40 years ago. These includes drawings of the exterior as well as images of the cockpit. I also have a few cross sections from another drawing.
    So far it appears my problem is the files are too large to upload to this forum. I have tried to reduce the file size, but the quality is reduced.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  8. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Nobi,

I have some pages copied from F-89 manual about 40 years ago. These includes drawings of the exterior as well as images of the cockpit. I also have a few cross sections from another drawing.
    So far it appears my problem is the files are too large to upload to this forum. I have tried to reduce the file size, but the quality is reduced.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  9. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi, Nobi .. I think with the help of Dr. Zarkov (see posting on P51D thread) my problem will be solved.

I can only agree with you on the prevalence of Rhino experts that a newbie (a wet behind-the-ears) could run to for help.... I'm not closing my learning option on software. I'm teaching myself Rhino with the help of Wungwinglow's, yours, Thomas Pliener's tutorials.... Thank for the advice.
    Best regards,

Muhammad
  10. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi, Nobi .. I think with the help of Dr. Zarkov (see posting on P51D thread) my problem will be solved.

I can only agree with you on the prevalence of Rhino experts that a newbie (a wet behind-the-ears) could run to for help.... I'm not closing my learning option on software. I'm teaching myself Rhino with the help of Wungwinglow's, yours, Thomas Pliener's tutorials.... Thank for the advice.
    Best regards,

Muhammad
  11. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Thank you very much Bob, i understand this time :p cockpit interor is challenge for modeller, i will make only fuselage but not dig into cockpit detail but if someone want to make it, they can scratchbuild themself :)

40 years ago? look like u r an engineer from Air Force...hehe or u r a big fan of F-89. thank you very much again
  12. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Thank you very much Bob, i understand this time :p cockpit interor is challenge for modeller, i will make only fuselage but not dig into cockpit detail but if someone want to make it, they can scratchbuild themself :)

40 years ago? look like u r an engineer from Air Force...hehe or u r a big fan of F-89. thank you very much again
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

back to procedure iu forgot first...a wing pod or a gun pod what make F-89 nickname as Scorpion (what have twin craw and high tail)

first make new object and rename as "wingpod" then use primitive button create a cylinder what have U = 16 and V = 1 like below

[​IMG]

then use edit panel rotate that cylindral 90 degree in X axis

[​IMG]

locate and resze that cylindral into it place follow through drawing use edit panel

[​IMG]

use knife button cut that cylindral into 5 sections like below

[​IMG]

adjust size of each section use edit panel follow through drawing

[​IMG]

done :)

[​IMG]
  14. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

back to procedure iu forgot first...a wing pod or a gun pod what make F-89 nickname as Scorpion (what have twin craw and high tail)

first make new object and rename as "wingpod" then use primitive button create a cylinder what have U = 16 and V = 1 like below

[​IMG]

then use edit panel rotate that cylindral 90 degree in X axis

[​IMG]

locate and resze that cylindral into it place follow through drawing use edit panel

[​IMG]

use knife button cut that cylindral into 5 sections like below

[​IMG]

adjust size of each section use edit panel follow through drawing

[​IMG]

done :)

[​IMG]
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I was reading in either the current Smithsonian Air & Space or the one before and there was an amusing article about an F6F Hellcat that was being used as a target drone and it decided to go siteseeing on it's own over sothern California. 2 Scorpions were scrambled to shoot it down and expended all 208 rockets(54 per aircraft) without hitting the Hellcat. The rockets started brush fires damaged a few cars, scared a bunch of people but never touched the hellcat. It eventually made it's way out to sea ran out of gas and crashed.

Just thought I'd share this bit of trivia with you all. :D
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I was reading in either the current Smithsonian Air & Space or the one before and there was an amusing article about an F6F Hellcat that was being used as a target drone and it decided to go siteseeing on it's own over sothern California. 2 Scorpions were scrambled to shoot it down and expended all 208 rockets(54 per aircraft) without hitting the Hellcat. The rockets started brush fires damaged a few cars, scared a bunch of people but never touched the hellcat. It eventually made it's way out to sea ran out of gas and crashed.

Just thought I'd share this bit of trivia with you all. :D
  17. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

really? that why F-89 scorpion not meet succesful but if that scorpion can install laser guide missile like present, that hellcat will be shoot down with first shoot hehe...thank you very much willja67 to share this story with us
  18. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

really? that why F-89 scorpion not meet succesful but if that scorpion can install laser guide missile like present, that hellcat will be shoot down with first shoot hehe...thank you very much willja67 to share this story with us
  19. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Something similar happened in Canada a few years back, a research balloon failed to deflate (or whatever means they use to get the instrument package back) and was drifting through the airline's routes over the northern part of Canada and the Atlantic. Two CF-18's were scrambled to shoot it down, and while they expended their 20mm ammo on it, it survived, finally touching down in Finland.

In all fairness to the Scorpion pilots, the 2.75 inch FFARs were meant to be launched at bomber formations, not a single target the size of a Hellcat.
  20. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Something similar happened in Canada a few years back, a research balloon failed to deflate (or whatever means they use to get the instrument package back) and was drifting through the airline's routes over the northern part of Canada and the Atlantic. Two CF-18's were scrambled to shoot it down, and while they expended their 20mm ammo on it, it survived, finally touching down in Finland.

In all fairness to the Scorpion pilots, the 2.75 inch FFARs were meant to be launched at bomber formations, not a single target the size of a Hellcat.