ezdays spring 07 scratchbuild challenge

ezdays

Out AZ way
Awesome, your work is inspiring me to use PVC for my Cement & Grain towers.
Thanks, the PVC pipe really comes in handy, especially on a project like this. And the nice thing is that it comes in a lot of diameters and it's really cheap. A 1", 10' long piece is only a couple of bucks. I used a 10' piece of the smaller diameter and it was less than $4. I've got probably that much in sheet styrene and so my whole grain elevator will run me about $10 when it's finished.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Here's one more shot of the real thing, I've been trying to find what's up at the top of the tower, and I think I came close to duplicating it...

Attachments

• Hayden flour-now3r.jpg
    Hayden flour-now3r.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 95

ezdays

Out AZ way
OK, here's where I am now, the silos and tower are pretty much finished, I'm debating how much weathering I can put in this I might try a very light ink wash. I've still got to build the smaller building and that's as far as it will go.

This is not where I plan on putting it, but who knows, it may wind up there, we'll see. I'm glad I didn't go to scale, or it would have overwhelmed anywhere I'd put it. It came out closer to 270:1, that tells you what an impressive structure the original is.

Attachments

• Silo1.jpg
    Silo1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Silo2.jpg
    Silo2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Silo3.jpg
    Silo3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Silo4.jpg
    Silo4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 94

ezdays

Out AZ way
Lookin' good. That's not where I thought you were going to put it though.
Thanks guys.

No that's not where I planned to put it, I just put it there to take these pictures. I moved it to the other area near the back where I wanted to put it and it look like that's where it belongs.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
No that's not where I planned to put it, I just put it there to take these pictures. I moved it to the other area near the back where I wanted to put it and it look like that's where it belongs.
Yeh, yeh, yeh, my bad. If I'd have taken the time to read your post thoroughly the first time, I would have read the part about you saying that's not where you planned to put it.wall1 Shoot me now and put me out of my misery.wall1

ezdays

Out AZ way
A couple of more shots, I've added the small building and have put on the signage. The signage is a bit more faded on the actual one to the point where it's barely visible, but I didn't want to fade it back that much and keep it on my layout that way. It is sitting right about where I plan on putting it when I get to that point.

Attachments

• Flour finish1.jpg
    Flour finish1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Flour finish2.jpg
    Flour finish2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
That is one AWESOME building Don!!!! I love the lettering, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: it looks GREAT and thats a good place for it on your layout to :thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
That is one AWESOME building Don!!!! I love the lettering, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: it looks GREAT and thats a good place for it on your layout to :thumb: :thumb:
Thanks, obviously I have yet to scenic the area, but yes, it belongs in the background.

I did the lettering with decal paper and a color printer, then sprayed it with Krylon matte finish. Once it was in place, I found that I could rub off as much of the color as I wanted using a wet Q-tip. The lettering on the prototype right now is barely visible, but I didn't want to go that far.:eek:

Drew1125

Wow!
That's a wonderful model, Don! :thumb:

Your whole layout is looking fantastic as well!

I love your backdrop!

:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

davidstrains

:thumb: Great looking structure. Have you decided how many tracks are going to service the elevator? I am looking forward to the shots with the grain cars being off-loaded.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow!
That's a wonderful model, Don! :thumb:

Your whole layout is looking fantastic as well!

I love your backdrop!

:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:
Thanks, coming from you I consider that a real complement. I'm not sure about the quality of the backdrop painting. It's been a whole lot of years since I did any painting, well, except for walls as stuff, but I'm glad it turned out as well as it did for a rank amateur.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:thumb: Great looking structure. Have you decided how many tracks are going to service the elevator? I am looking forward to the shots with the grain cars being off-loaded.
Well the original had only one set of tracks, and I've only got room for one so in that respect I've got to remain true to the original.:mrgreen: I've got to rework that section of track anyway to add a return loop, so adding a siding won't be that difficult, especially as you can see, there's nothing there but the trackwork and ballast anyway.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Damn Hook

Thanks guys
I'm not sure what's in there, or was in there.:confused: :confused: I've always assumed that since there was windows there that it might be part of the processing or a way to get the grain back out of the silos. There should also be stairs there to get up to the top snce there are no outside ladders. I've not found anything that says otherwise, but I'm as curious as you are so I'll let you know if I find out for sure. I also think the rounded corners are purely cosmetic.

Hi Don. :wave: Looks good! You did a VERY good job on that! Much better then I could ever think to do. Layout looks great too.:thumb: I was reading through here and checking out all the pictures of the real thing.. Everything got me thinking, so I started to look around for more pictures. I knew the picture TrainNut posted on the first page was from Live Local Search and after awhile of looking for what streets it was near, found it on there. You can get some pretty good close ups of it, or any other building. So I'll post that view below.

I'm not sure if you saw this or not. But, if not I thought you and the others wanting to build this would like to see it. From this link City of Tempe - Hayden Flour Mill Development there is a download for....
Original Construction Plans. The plans are dated September 1917 and were drawn by Royal Lescher and John Kibby Architects.
The download is for Adobe Reader. I downloaded it and was looking through the plans, it tells probably everything you could want to know. :thumb:

So if you have already seen these, then I at least found something new for myself. And if you haven't, I did the searching for you. :cool:

Joah

HaydenFlourMillPicture.png

If anyone wanting to download this and doesn't have Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded here for free.
Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

ezdays

Out AZ way
Joah,

Thanks, the Internet is amazing for what you can find there.:thumb: Someday they might even close all the libraries in the world for lack of interest.:eek:

I've seen other pictures on the Tempe website, but not those. I wish I could find the ones on the silos though. Somewhere I found the drawings on their proposed development, but I forgot to bookmark them and now I can't find the site where they were.:cry: