Ezdays scratchbuild #1

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I was afraid the AZ heat had finally gotten to Don.

Never saw that chapel before. Really beautiful. Wouldn't really fit in my New England setting, but would make a wonderful model, and sure to draw comments.

Ed. If all goes well will be moving to Torrington at the Torrington Ridge Estates off West Pearl in the Fall. Retirement community with a huge basement!:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, I think I've gone as far as I can on this project. Here are a few shots taken from the air. It's kinda tough to get any ground level shots, but the next time I see a LPB with a camera, I'll see if they don't want to share.:D :D

Attachments

• Arial-77.jpg
    Arial-77.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 107
  • Distance-83.jpg
    Distance-83.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Distance lit-81.jpg
    Distance lit-81.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 107
  • Promanade-65.jpg
    Promanade-65.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 109

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
That is so cool. I want to build one now. Awsome Work Don:thumb: :thumb:

The rocks and landscaping is sweet and the building is niclty detailed.

It is perfect, Not to big and not to small. Again Great work:thumb::thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That is really awesome!!! Please give the building it's own narrow beam spotlight...it deserves that much. Imagine a sermon...with an enthusiastic pastor talking about the God's judgement, salvation and the gates of hell while the rumble of 6 BNSF diesels is heard from beneath the feet of the worshippers. That'd make a believer out of you!

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Yes, FANTASTIC! You're also the first modeler I've seen that actually LANDSCAPES around their buildings! (There definitely is a big missed opportunity there) The plaza witht the potted plants looks very realistic, and I hope to see more of that in the future, and oh, the building is great too! :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks all, I guess I was devinly inspired.
161.gif

Miles, I was simply going by the prototype, there's a large pot on the left, and a smaller one on the right. I also tried to follow the prototype in part with the overhanging walkway. Here's a shot of the actual chapel walkway and here's my rendition.

Attachments

• Proto ramp.jpg
    Proto ramp.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 111
  • East side-44.jpg
    East side-44.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 117

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
What? Your first scratch build? Looks like you have been practicing it for years. Absolutely beautiful :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey thanks everyone. I did scratchbuild a bridge a year or so ago, but that was just a few pieces of plastic I-beam, and I did it out of desparations since Wather's had the one I bought on backorder. It showed up a few months later so I'm glad I didn't waitl
Herc Driver said:
That is really awesome!!! Please give the building it's own narrow beam spotlight...it deserves that much. Imagine a sermon...with an enthusiastic pastor talking about the God's judgement, salvation and the gates of hell while the rumble of 6 BNSF diesels is heard from beneath the feet of the worshippers. That'd make a believer out of you!
The spotlight is a great idea, but I think the structure stands on it's own at night. Here's a shot I took just as the sun started to rise over the distant hills. The sky is actually my painted background.

Attachments

• Dawn-87.jpg
    Dawn-87.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 97

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Don, Wow. When I clicked on the link to this thread the last post was the first that showed up and I thought it was a night shot of the real thing. Beuatiful job.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!!

Outstanding work, Don!! When you run out of things to do, I got a scratchbuilding project for you...I need an ol' time (wood) roundhouse for my layout. He, he...

Again, congratulations.

Gus (LC&P).

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Another thing. For those of you into scratchbuilding, check out CNW1961's challenge #1 (if you haven't done so, already). That's also some great scratchbuilding!
(I'd post a link to it, only I don't have faintest idea how to do it...)

Gus (LC&P).

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Fantastic Don... that night shot is outstanding - really hard to tell the difference! :thumb: :thumb:

Have you considered sending a photo of your model to the church?

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks again guys, and yes, it was a labor of love. That place has a special attraction for us, no particular reason just that it's such a beautiful area and the chapel is so unique. I was just hoping I could do it justice.

I got really lucky on the night shot. I did shoot it just as the sun was coming up. No special settings, just used "auto" on the camera. No touch-ups either other than hiding some blue foam at the bottom. The blue sky on the backdrop turned night-time blue which was amazing since it didn't look that way, it was just dark. Cameras are amazing things sometimes. One time it will pick up things you couldn't see and would rather hide, the next time it does something like this. :thumb:

Sending them a picture is a worthwhile thought. Although many people have photographed and painted pictures of the chapel, I don't know if anyone has modeled it.