Ezdays scratchbuild #1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The next step was to make a paper mock-up to see how it would look on my layout. Here are three shots of it in 1:212 scale. I'm still not sure if it's not too overpowering. I plan on putting it about where it sits, I could go down just one level smaller, say 1:225, but any smaller and I'm not going to get in some details I would like to have there.

Any comments about the scale would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Paper l.jpg
    Paper l.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Paper c.jpg
    Paper c.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Paper r.jpg
    Paper r.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 144

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I think it might be still a little to big but you sure will have one heck of a view of the layout from up there. sign1 sign1 Maybe 1:225 would be a little better? On a building that big, I think you could still get in some nice detail.

I cant wait to see some more progress.:thumb: :thumb:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Don, maybe you should consider not using it on the layout, but instead build a diorama, pick a scale which allows the level of detail you want. Might be nice on a shelf in the den, etc. No trains needed, or even appropriate, right?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I thought a bit about using a larger scale and creating a a diorama, but I really wanted it to be on my layout and I have a place for it there. I went with the 1:212 scale, although it looks a bit too large now, it will be surrounded by red rocks and should look OK. Plus, I had to find some styrene that would work in the scale I was using. I found some .030 Evergreen HO car siding that when I double it up on the ends to hide the edges of the glass, it works out good. The walls are actually 12" thick and that equates to .056 at my scale. Besides, the lines in the plastic made it real easy to cut those small windows out.:thumb:

Here is my inital cutouts of the main parts. I got a long ways to go, but a journey always starts with the first step.:D

Attachments

• Pieces.jpg
    Pieces.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 123

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Don,

Great idea! It doesn't have to "railroady" to be on a layout, and if it means a lot to you & your wife, so much the better!!

Also, I've been trying like mad to get my bluffs to look like those in your pictures, and I think I'm having some success-never actually having seen any...!!

Good luck & keep us posted!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
steamhead said:
Hey Don,

Great idea! It doesn't have to "railroady" to be on a layout, and if it means a lot to you & your wife, so much the better!!

Also, I've been trying like mad to get my bluffs to look like those in your pictures, and I think I'm having some success-never actually having seen any...!!

Good luck & keep us posted!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).
Thanks Gus. Just a few things I did to make those formations. You can see the start of the hill here in this thread. Once I got the basic shape, I took strips of balsawood and poked them into holes I made. I used joint compound and a putty knife to sculpture the rocks and spires. You can do wonders with joint compound since it takes a lot longer to set up that plaster. Just let it set up for a couple of hours after you get your initial shapes, then poke, prod and push the stuff around until it looks like you want it. It remains somewhat plyable and workable for a good eight to ten hours.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I got some basic interior detailing done on the sanctuary. Unfortunately, at this scale it was difficult to get much, besides, I'm not too sure how much will be seen once I get the walls and windows in. I used a textured sand spray for the walls. I'll go back and lighten it up to get closer to the proto color, but I'm pleased with the texture anyway. I still have some work to do on the sanctuary so I'm going to have to take it apart again, but at this point I had to do some temporary assembly so I can size the windows. There's no way I'm going to be able to get the rear windows in after I have the two walls in place.:rolleyes:

Here are a few shots taken of the inside of the chapel, and my meger attempt at representing it at 1:212 scale. :D

Attachments

• Sanctuary1.jpg
    Sanctuary1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 104
  • Sanctuary2.jpg
    Sanctuary2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Sanctuary scale.jpg
    Sanctuary scale.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 103

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

You're rocking right along...I looked at your thread on the red bluffs, and I recalled seeing it back when you started it. A great laugh was had by one and all (including the LGM...).:)

Gus (LC&P).

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Got most of the main chapel assembled and painted. Here are a couple of shots of the real and similar shots of my 1:212 scale. I'm sure you'll be able to tell which ones are which. The next step is going to be to do the promanade deck and walkway, then the rocks.

Attachments

• Front up-proto.jpg
    Front up-proto.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Front up-scale.jpg
    Front up-scale.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Right-scale.jpg
    Right-scale.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Rear-proto.jpg
    Rear-proto.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Rear-scale.jpg
    Rear-scale.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 152

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
How could you build your model (first pic) when the real chapel is still under construction (lower pics), or do they take your model as a sample? Or did I get it wrong :D ? Very good job so far. The front view is very impressive. Looking forward to see it finished.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks guys, it's more fun than I expected. I'm just a bit concerned that I'm not going to do the project justice. This is only my second scratchbuilt anything.

Today is blue foam day. I got my hill shape started and the chapel sitting where it should be. I've got to decide which way the walk is going up to the deck.

Oh, I tood a little modeler's liberty when I wasn't sure what I was going to do with that siding. Well, my chapel will have a tunnel going underneith. I think it's going to some secret mine and that they're mining gold, but they're not showing it. Look in the lower left of the third shot. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Anchor2.jpg
    Anchor2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Tunnel.jpg
    Tunnel.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 145

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Real progress, I replaced the chapel with cardboard and paper and started on forming the rocks. Here is step one, a bit more blue foam, then some plaster-soaked paper towels:

Attachments

• Blue rocks.jpg
    Blue rocks.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 130
  • Blue rocks 2.jpg
    Blue rocks 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Plaster rocks.jpg
    Plaster rocks.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Plaster rocks2.jpg
    Plaster rocks2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 131

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The next step was to cover everything in a layer of joint compound. I let it dry a bit and started working it over a period of several hours adding compound where needed. The stiffer it gets, the better it is to work with. It was still workable in spots early this morning, some ten hours later. My biggest fear was that the chapel wouldn't fit afterwards, but a bit of trimming and it slides in just fine.

The last picture shows the tools I used to do the shaping.

Attachments

• White rocks.jpg
    White rocks.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 123
  • White rocks-chapel.jpg
    White rocks-chapel.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 127
  • White rocks-chapel2.jpg
    White rocks-chapel2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg