EZday's layout party

ezdays

Out AZ way
Here’s my starting canvas. As some of you might remember, I had the Gauge N scale car #101976 on my layout a few years ago, just as some government ray gun experiment went awry.:eek:The entire story can be found here, but I am posting one picture of those events that took place. The memories are still painful every time I visit that thread.:cry::cry: It seems as if the ray gun was pointed in the wrong direction during the tests causing the devastation to the nearby Village of Santa Maria. The ground turned a bluish color and just a few buildings were spared. The rest were disintegrated. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, as a follow-up, the government let the property decontaminate itself, and almost three years later deemed it safe to send in the Corp of Engineers and level the town to allow contractors to come back in for restoration.

The Village of Santa Maria, June 2003:

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 280

ezdays

Out AZ way
Well, that has now happened, the engineers moved the surviving structures so they can get the ground cleaned up of any hazardous materials. That being done, and now through a generous grant from the president of the Canyon States Railroad Company (who is personally funding this project):rolleyes:, the town will be restored to its former charm. Those buildings that survived intact will be returned while others will be rebuilt.

I was able to obtain the following two shots. The first is when they were in the process of the cleanup activity, and the second is how the site is today, and of the planned redevelopment area, courtesy of the railroad president. Construction will start within a few days, once all proper permits are in place.:D :D

Attachments

• cleanup.jpg
    cleanup.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 268

ezdays

Out AZ way
Giant step, with the area now cleared, the Corp was able to make a mock-up of the reconstruction. Two buildings have to be built, but most of the others are intact. This is the layout that we are shooting for. Right now the roadway is paper thin :rolleyes: :rolleyes:, but could be either blacktopped or cement, but I'm thinking cobblestone or brick might be more approriate for at least Main Street anyway.

Any thoughts on anything I should consider changing?:wave:

Attachments

• Layout sketch.jpg
    Layout sketch.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 277

Herc Driver

I love a good story. Keep it coming! Make sure the EPA does not get involved, pay your labor unions well and on time, and that town will be built in no time.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Herc Driver said:
I love a good story. Keep it coming! Make sure the EPA does not get involved, pay your labor unions well and on time, and that town will be built in no time.
Some of the LPBs we hired used to work in those Hollywood movie studios making sets.hamr I truly hope they remember to put walls and plumbing in the inside of the buildings as well. :eek: It's a good thing I got the building inspector in my pocket...
5.gif
litterally...aussie

zedob

Are you modeling the world's largest measuring tape, or is that Stanley's new corporate office building?

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 278

ezdays

Out AZ way
zedob said:
Are you modeling the world's largest measuring tape, or is that Stanley's new corporate office building?
Yeah, that's why I marked it at 160:1, not to be confused with N scale which is 1:160.:rolleyes: It was built for the Macy's Parade, but they couldn't find anyway to ship it there.:D:D :D:D That may look like a cordless drill in the upper corner, but I think it's really another one of those government ray-gun tests.
81.gif

Jac's Lines

Do you have any plans to put some of your surplus little green men to work? Just be careful, we wouldn't want the LPINS to bust you for employing illegal aliens...

johnny b

where do you get buildings like the one you have thats on the funny angle ? I have great use for a building like that one but all the kits are made sguare and flat . Not real good for a western PA layout .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Johnny, that angled building is actually the very first model I ever built when I was deciding between HO and N scale. :rolleyes: I probably bought it at a LHS about four or five years ago. I gave away all the HO stuff I had after I figured my fingers and eyes were still capable of working with N.:D I've been trying to figure out where to put it and I think it'll work out at the end of Main St.

Peter, That section of the layout is about 80" x 34" and is on a hinged door. I'm in the process of doubling the size, it's now a U shaped and I no longer have to share space with our car.:thumb: A pity that I didn't finish the old before I started on the new, but this 'party' will be the incentive I need.:wave::wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jac's Lines said:
Do you have any plans to put some of your surplus little green men to work? Just be careful, we wouldn't want the LPINS to bust you for employing illegal aliens...
Those LGM are all in training classes, learning English and the ways of us worldy humans. The next step after class is to go get their 'green' cards :D and then off the the welfare and unemployment offices.
38.gif
It seem like they are overqualified for any construction jobs I may have open.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But, thanks for stimulating an idea in my brain, I think I can find them something to do, keep tuned...stooges8

Clerk

Don. I know the raillroad bridge in the background isn't in the contract, (but) How would it be to have the creek (river) make a right turn (left from our view to the base of the mountain and the water coming out from a spring??? :wave: :wave: :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Almost forgot. Great pictures and story. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

johnny b

ezdays said:
Johnny, that angled building is actually the very first model I ever built when I was deciding between HO and N scale. :rolleyes: I probably bought it at a LHS about four or five years ago. I gave away all the HO stuff I had after I figured my fingers and eyes were still capable of working with N.:D I've been trying to figure out where to put it and I think it'll work out at the end of Main St.

Peter, That section of the layout is about 80" x 34" and is on a hinged door. I'm in the process of doubling the size, it's now a U shaped and I no longer have to share space with our car.:thumb: A pity that I didn't finish the old before I started on the new, but this 'party' will be the incentive I need.:wave::wave:

So you crafted that yourself then ?

Papa Bear

Glad to see you're making some progress, Don. I hope you've got the environmental folks on your side, too. I understand that the permitting process can get rough.sign1

ezdays

Out AZ way
Clerk said:
Don. I know the raillroad bridge in the background isn't in the contract, (but) How would it be to have the creek (river) make a right turn (left from our view to the base of the mountain and the water coming out from a spring??? :wave: :wave: :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Almost forgot. Great pictures and story. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1
Thanks Dick. There is a stream running parallel between the two sets of track and I planed on having a waterfall coming from that end. I'm in the process of making some significant changes to the center section, so I will give your suggestion consideration.

Johnny, Yes, I've built all my structures, either straight from the box or kitbashed. One of these days I'll get the time and the nerve to do some scratchbuilding.

Papa, You should see what those enviromental folks made us go through. :eek::eek:I'll post a pick later today.:wave: