Ezdays kitbash challenge #2

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, I've got three depots that I bought at one time or another at a swap meet. All were fully built so kitbashing is going to be limited. Since I don't need another depot, whatever one I wind up working with will not come back to life as a depot

All three have possibilities, I'm not quite sure which one will be the most useful:

Attachments

• Decisions.jpg
    Decisions.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 363

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I have one of those classics like the one in the middle! I've been thinking of making it look distinctive in some way but haven't made any decisions yet. Looking forward to what you decide to do!
Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I thought about using all three, but like Ralph, I'm kinda leaning towards the one in the middle. I can see where I can do something with that one. My biggist problem is that they're all glued pretty good and they're all straight out of the box, no paint, no weathering. Maybe that's a good thing, but I hate painting windows after they've been glued in place.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
So far depot #2 has gotten the nod, well, from the looks of it, it's gotten more than a nod.hamr My plan, if I had one, will be to take and combine the depot with parts from the second kit. One of the other depots may play a part in the final product as well. I haven't a clue where this is going right now, but that's half the fun.:D :D

Attachments

• Disassemble.jpg
    Disassemble.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 330

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
yellowlynn said:
Don, I can't quite believe what I'm seeing. I have never seen a building torn down in such a neat manner. What, no trash and refuse laying around?

sign1 sign1
Lynn
Actually Lynn, the depot had been abandon for some time now and transients and others had stripped away everything they could carry. Even the plumbing and electrical were gone when I got there.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That made the inital demo go so much easier that I didn't even need a dumpster. :D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
ezdays said:
Actually Lynn, the depot had been abandon for some time now and transients and others had stripped away everything they could carry. Even the plumbing and electrical were gone when I got there.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That made the inital demo go so much easier that I didn't even need a dumpster. :D :D

Yeah, but how did you manage to get the parts back on the sprue...? ;) :D

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Some progress pics, I took both kits and combined them. I replaced one depot door and made a window into another large door. I added a base paint to get an idea of where I should go with that.

Attachments

• Basic paint.jpg
    Basic paint.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 252

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The next step was to add a patio to the back of the house and do a bit more weathering. I'm still not happy with the paint appearance but I'll work on that some more. You can get an idea of how this is going together and where I'm headed with this.

I added some lighting as shown in the last picture. Still have a long way to go.

Attachments

• Before assy.jpg
    Before assy.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Inter lights.jpg
    Inter lights.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 250

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Got the roofs on, added a front porch and columns and did a bit more weathering. Still not happy how the weathering looks, but hey, this house hasn't had a new coat of paint in about 50 years so what do you expect?
788.gif
788.gif
For some reason, the "inhabitants"
21.gif
can't get a painter to even look at the job...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I can't imagin why.:D

Attachments

• Some weather front.jpg
    Some weather front.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Some weather rear.jpg
    Some weather rear.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 202

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
"They're creepy and they're goofy....."
Looks....(Um...Hum)...Good Don.
I'm told the owner's first name is Herman and he lives with his wife Lilly, one creepy kid named Eddie, his good-looking sister Marilyn, and an his grampa that dresses kinda formal. I don't know that for sure, just neighborhood scuttlebutt.
788.gif
788.gif

D
30.gif
N