EZ Track, yes or no?

cmhockman78

So I just started model rr last week
the LHS gave me an Athearn ready to run set with Bachmann EZ track
I have purchased more track since then. (like everyday since)
Am i wasting my money?
Or is this stuff worth it?
I want something thats going to last forever and I dont need topnotch
but I don't want total crap either.
I'd like to build something nice. My daughter loves it because her Pop is an engineer.

Have any opinions? anybody?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I would suggest you start buying Atlas track and switch over to it. Bachman track has lots of problems with there turnouts I have heard.

Here is Atlas web site: www.atlasrr.com click on the track tab at the top and choose your scale, HO or N.

Just my opinion, I think that you will be much happyer in the end, lots of people start with bachman and then upgrade to Atlas but I think that is kinda a waste of money. I started out buying Atlas Code 83 from the begining and love it. It is realistic and durable. You can also get Code 100 which has black ties, this is for HO of course, What scale are you in?

cmhockman78

I am doing HO
I wasn't sure if it was the track or the cars causing derailment.
I have 3 turnouts and they really haven't gave me any trouble.
Well, I could be wrong.
It seems as though when I get it set up and running it will run without a problem.
Only when I have to move it do I have troubles and I shouldn't have that problem once I get a table built.
I was just curious because I plan on having a large layout someday.
I mean I have an entire basement that is empty and is just asking for me to put something in it!

Russ Bellinis

The Easy Track, Lifelike Power Lock, Atlas whatever they call their track with built in roadbed, and Kato Unitrack are good if you want to take apart and set up an ho railroad. If you are going to put something down permanently, use flex track on cork roadbed. It is a lot cheaper than the 9 inch sections of sectional track. You can make larger radius turns for better, smoother operation, and it doesn't have as many electrical connections. Every electrical connection has the potential to cause an open circuit.

cmhockman78

Can you connect the two together?
I like more for cheaper.
But I already have 200 bucks spent on the ez track.
Better late than never to make the switch I guess.

cidchase

CM and Josh, I think if one was to cut a piece of EZ Track in half and trimmed the plastic
on the cut ends enough to slide rail joiners on, you wouldn't have too much trouble
connecting the two track types. It's probably easier than installing couplers on the front
of some of these steamers!!

oldtanker

I am using a similar system to EZ Track but am going to go back to Flex track real soon, lot more versatile.

Rick

jasbourre

I have been using EZ track for a couple of years, if you keep the track clean you will not get derailments and as for switches I never had a problem.
As of last week I am switching to N gauge, so with that said I have about 8 swithch and approx 100 pieces of track for sale.

OnTrack

I would suggest Atlas over any type of EZ track for one big reason other than quality. If you choose Altas you get to do all the work your self, lay track bad, lay the track on it, you just get to experiance more of the hobby. I dont know in my opinion makes me feel like ive accomplished more, or like its more of my own work.

Herc Driver

There's quite a few threads on this topic...try a search for Bachmann EZ track and you'll see several replies both pro and con. I've used it on my layout (see Herc Driver layout pics in the gallery) with no operational problems. It isn't Atlas track, I don't think it tries to be...but the results are good, they pieces go together well, and the turnouts work better after some filing on almost every angled surface of the rails and wheel guides.

That being said...when I do my layout over or expand it...I'm going to use flex track and Atlas track. Nothing wrong with the Bachmann track...I'd just like less joints and more flexibility.
Best of luck deciding!

KCS

All that snap track is trash and not worth the time nor money. I have some and the rail is starting to break away from the ties. Lot's of derailment problems. It'll keep happening more and more as the track gains age. Go with Atlas. If ya wanted you could take what you have an Ebay it to get rid of it and use the funds to start getting Atlas.

kokoracer

EZ track

I am new to the serous side of model railroading. I ran the Lifelike poadbed track, but got frustrated due to the lack of options. I am switching to the EZ track because i want to run trains and build scenery without getting into laying and ballasting track. There is a lot avalible, ranging up to 36" curves.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi guys,

I am going to move this over to Technical Q&A where it will get some more exposure, and possibly garner you more information too...

Andrew

Flex track gets my vote. You can make custom radius curves, there's less track connections and in my experience it's cheaper to buy the cork and flex track than the pre-molded stuff. I can also vary the height of sidings by using N scale cork instead of the HO.

cmhockman78

if cork and flex is so superior and cheaper why did they ever create the ez track? must be just for those who don't have the talent

oldtanker

I think they did that so that people buying sets for kids for Christmas and birthdays could just run em on the floor.

Rick

cmhockman78

that sounds like a reasonable answer
but what about us big kids who want to run the trains right away?
maybe thats why they made it
i don't really see a difference except when it come to flex track's versatility
i don't see how can't acheive the same effect as far as ballast goes.
color me stupid i guess

Jim Krause

EZ track and the others like it are primarily for starter sets and people who need to be able to put the trains away in a box between operating sessions. If you are planning a permanent layout, I would go with flex track and cork or foam roadbed. You can, of course, use the EZ track on a permanent layout . Yes, you can use flex track along with EZ track by doing a bit of shimming where the two join. As with most things in model railroading, "ingenuity" is a key word.