EZ Track vs Cork, HELP!

wdsrwg

Jan 29, 2006
Hill Country of Western Wisconsin
I have about 2-3 hours a week to spend on my layout.
That is why the benchwork was done in a day and 3
months later I am still looking at a styrofoam benchtop!!!
I want to be as realistic as I can but, I also want to run
my trains before 2010.
My local train shop experts insists that ez track can be made to look
all as real as cork bed and of course, with much faster laying times.
I am torn here to stay the right course but want my rolling stock
to do just that before Winter!
I am also going to run DCC and need to know which way that
will perform better.
Sorry for the windy post but desperation is sinking in!!!:rolleyes:

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
i would go with the cork, if you lay the old fashion rail you have more creative control over your track work. more opitions in the track available to pick from. more switches, curve size etc, and the best part there is flex track

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
First be very mindful of what "hobby shop experts" say.A good dose of salt is usually needed.Best to use flex track-less track joints and thus better flow of electrical power and reduce chances of derailments..
If you must use the premade track/road bed then go with a better brand such as Atlas True-Track or the Kato brand since both of these companies offer a wider choice of track pieces.
As far as DCC there is no difference in type of track being use..

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Ez track , hmmmmmmmm.

I obtained a lot of that in a junk sale, does that say anything?sign1

I have no use for it and will give it away to somones grandkid to play with.
I like flexy track, as the guys have said.

Welcome to the gauge :D

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
I've used both. Cork and track can be made to look more real with ballast and so on. You really can't do that with e-z track, though some folks do add ballast. The problem with e-z track and the kato and atlas clones is that to me it sits way to high and just doesn't look real.

But, it is a lot easier, but more expensive. Compare prices on atlas section track and cork vs. e-z track.

The bottom line is that you have to be happy with it. I think both are fine, but you do have more options with cork and track.

see http://www.railimages.com/gallery/thomasweber
for some ballasted EZ-track.

I think if I were in your shoes and I had the moolah, I would go for it. I think Bachmann has a better selection right now than Atlas' True Track (could be wrong) and it's less $$ than Kato. With no flex track, it's going to cost considerably more than a cork roadbed layout, so it may depend on the size of the empire!:D I suggest shopping on-line for best pricing.

I'm sure it's not your last layout, go ahead and get her running!! :thumb: