extruded foam???

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I just went to lowes myself and I couldnt find the foam anywhere, i found strofoam but not extruded foam....

I live in southern california (Orange County) do they got it in this area? I heard some areas dont have it. What else can I use thats a good substitute?

I went to The Home Depot's website and Lowes's website also and there was no search results for extruded foam... I hope I didnt type it wrong...its called EXTRUDED right? lol

Thanks

~Kenny

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
The extruded foam is much stronger and stiffer and can be used to a certain extent as a structural part of the layout. The white stuff can be used as the understructure to build up hills and mountains. With both types of foam, you must use water-based glues and paints.

The blue stuff is used as insulation for the outer walls of homes. I am under the impression that the blue stuff was banned for this use in California. Therefore, not many places sell it over there. I do not know this for a fact.

N

nachoman

Interestingly - styrofoam is a registered trademark of the down corning company. The white cups and plates technically are not "styrofoam". Dow is proud of this on their website, and are quick to point out the differences. Try going to the supermarket and finding a bag of cups labeled "styrofoam" - you cant!!

kevin