Explain Lashups to me....

gruggier

Nov 28, 2006
Deer Park NY
When Diesels to lashups, why are they faced in oppisite directions? I was just watching a BNSF Dash 9 video and the first loco was in the correct position but the other three where backwards. Why? Why not all in a forward postion?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Perhaps it's because it's easier to go from engine to engine since the doors are in the back?
Just my thoughts on it. I can't see any other logical reason for it either.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Its also for the ease of switching and spotting cars. The engineer just moves to the rear engine, the lead is sometimes disconnected, sometimes not.
I have also seen pics, where the Wheeling and Lake Erie, deadhead a loco at the end of a train, facing the opposite direction.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Basically what it boils down to is that is how they were setting on the ready track when they were pulled for the run. Very few trains anymore, outside of shortline runs, operate where the train would directly reverse down the same route. Most major yards today serve routes radiating in multiple directions. So long as at least one unit it pointed "forward" not much thought it given to the position of other power in the consist. It is favorable, but not necessary, to have a second unit in the consist pointed forward in case the lead unit develops problems en route.

I'd also like a source cited for those Wheeling pics as some of their trains do use power on both ends for reverse moves on the road.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I've seen locos deadheading at the front of a train too. Say 5 total, but only 2 or 3 running. I've also seen UP use a loco at the end of coal trains to push too