Experimenting in large scale

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
This is a "building under construction" in F scale, also suitable for 1:24 or 1:22.5. It's to be an elevated structure, or something for a wharfside. I'm not modelling in large scale, just experimenting with methods & materials.
It's board-by-board construction, all yellow cedar, ( except for the ladder rungs.) [:D]
regards / Mike

Attachments

• fbldg01.jpg
    fbldg01.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 171
C

Catt

Sure looks good to me.The first lady member of NARA is scratchbuilding all of her buildings for here garden layout.

Jim T

Jan 25, 2003
Warrenton, OR
www.freewebs.com
Mike, that really looks nice. What a great size to work with. Like you, I'm also a woodworker, and could see myself building some of that size of stuff too. You better be careful or you may end up with a garden RR running all over your back yard. :)

Cheers, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Mike, excellent photo's of some really great modelling in large scale. What scale are the tracks

Shamus

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
large scale track

Shamus; the track normally used on what the trade calls"Large Scale" is #1 Gauge, at 45 mm wide, about 1 3/4" width. Although LGB may be the best known brand, there are many other types of track, with better profiles.

F scale is 1:20.3 which then equates that track gauge to 3 foot narrow gauge.

There is no true "G" scale, except LGB at 1:22.5, which equates the track gauge to 1 meter European narrow gauge.

There's also equipment at 1:24 available to represent approximate narrow gauge.

True #1 scale is 1:32 and it's very rare, mainly high-end Maerklin.
The most popular "standard" trains running on #1 gauge track are 1:29 Aristo & USA Trains etc., which are pretty oversize from the 1:32, but look good and are very popular.

There's a growing group of "very-narrow-gauge" modellers working with 1:16 scale and some at 1:13.7 scale on this same
gauge track.
regards / Mike:D