Expansion!!

Bob Collins

Wasn't really satisfied with what I was wanting to develop as a branch line that would intersect with a major rr on my layout. After waking by the layout everyday for a month the little light bulb in my brain came on ever so dimly:D :D

The pictures show where I am with this part of the project. In addition to just having the branch come into the yard to meet with the mainline (UPRR, of course) I now have "engineered" it so the branch will actually cross the double mainline during its travels back to Boneyard Valley. We also have another part of the mainline crossing over the double crossing which might just make this the place to stand to watch some action, eventually:D :D

Bob

Attachments

• dcp05027.jpg
    dcp05027.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 106

Bob Collins

Here is another shot from a different angle. As you can see, we're not quite ready for the photo contest:cool: :cool:

Bob

Attachments

• dcp05028.jpg
    dcp05028.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 102

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Bob old friend, that double crossing looks fab, did you manufacture that yourself? if you did, thats excellent craftsmanship. I wouldn't like to try that myself. Wow.

Shamus

Bob Collins

Hi Shamus;

Thanks for the compliment. I did make it myself. Took me longer to think it through than to actually "build" it. Not near as difficult as when I made the two double crossovers I did early on. With those a third hand would have been a real blessing.

Actually, I thought about you several times while doing this thing as I keep thinking, "remember what Shamus said about transition curves, this is what he was talking about."

The space is rather tight coming into the crossing, but I can get everything I own around and through here except my heavyweight passenger cars and I have no need to get them in here anyway. This is going to be strickly freight with a series of spurs to various businesses, and maybe a two stall engine house.

Bob

RI541

Bob,

It looks to me like you've been doing alot of work, Alot of good work i should say.

Its looking great and I hope you keep us well posted.

shamus

Registered Member
Got a question Bob, on that crossing, where are the power points, or is it long enough for the loco to straddle it.

Just a thought my crazy brain was thinking about.

Shamus

Bob Collins

Shamus;

There are actually three power points. One already installed off to the side where the track continues out of sight and two to be installed, one in the center and one to the side where I have not yet extended the track. I'm trying to make up my mind where I want to put in a series of turnouts for the spurs and when I figure that out I'll know where the power will go in. I'll solder in the connectors between the mainlines shortly.

Bob

Bob Collins

Casey;

I'm using 1/2" blue board insulation on top of 1/2" oxboard. It has been very satisfactory thus far. I'll dig out a couple of pictures and pst them so you can get a better feel for the configuration of my layout.

Bob

Bob Collins

Casey;

Here is another view from the other end. The layout is 10' X 22' based mostly on Plan # 82 in Linn Westcott's 101 Track Plans. I expanded it by a foot in each direction to allow me to widen the radius of the curves a bit.

I have the basics of DCC installed, but have everything sort of torn up right now as I expand my branch line.

Bob

Attachments

• dcp04733.jpg
    dcp04733.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 81
Bob Collins, That looks exellent. Built crossovers :eek: I hav'nt tried those yet. I"ll be doing good to get the Curved turnouts built and reliable. I've only built straights.

How are you attaching the roadbed and track to the foam ?

t.

RI541

Bob,
Just wondering what you are useing for track? You might have told me awhile ago but my mind is slipping.

Bob Collins

Greetings Group.

I use good ole Elmers white glue to both glue the road bed to the blue insulation board and to glue the track to the cork roadbed.

As for track, I have used Atlas 3' flex track from the gitgo. I have been able to piece things together where I have wasted almost no track at all. I've used about 50 sections of the three foot and have less than two feet that I haven't actually used...YET:cool:

Bob

Bob, that's an impressive layout you're putting together. Thanks for the photos.

I guess asking if you're happy with the Woodland Scenics stuff would be foolish, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: :D :D I may have to give it a try. Most everyone who has used it seems to like it. At least I've never seen any complaints.