Exciting Times In Bucyrus!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
This morning around 6 AM I heard a distant rumble and thought it was odd because the temperature was 29 degrees and way to cold for a thunderstorm..When I started on my walk this morning I notice a train blocking the crossings..So,I decided to investigate.Heres what I found in the Benson yard area.A 6 car derailment on the NS.The side boom cats are R.J.Corman
derailment services..

Picture-002-8.jpg

Picture-017.jpg

Picture-011-3.jpg

Picture-008-4.jpg

Picture-007-4.jpg

Picture-018-2.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Seems like some of those cars took off pretty far from the track. Did you hear any news about what happned? What's that white box car in the third pic. I can't quite make out the road? Neat shots of a real mess!
Ralph

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
You almost got yourself a news story there, Larry. Almost. :D

What's the name on that Cryo-Trans reefer? It's on the top quarter of the door...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great pics, Brakie:thumb: That Cryo-Trains reefer is unique looking. With that compressor unit on the end like that, accessed by those ladders and platforms, you'd think it was a European 4 wheel van.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I wonder what's in that tank car?
MRL had a derailment a couple of weeks ago in NW Montana, near the Idaho border. A coal unit train. They literally lost two coal cars in the Clark Fork river for several days. Word on the street is that it was a couple failure.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brain, I walked around the derailment looking like I belong and I was wearing my NS jacket..The Bucyrus Police did chase off several bystanders that wondered in to close but,walked pass me..:D
There was some news reporters there from Columbus and Mansfield.

As a update.
As of 4PM(Sat).
derailment-004.jpg

derailment-006.jpg

derailment-007.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brian,Thanks for posting that but here are the FACTS..A crew was called fom Columbus with a NS and ex CR GE units-sorry I didn't get their numbers or picture -to pick up the cars blocking the crossings..These cars was gone by 10:00AM and the crossings cleared..Now both the trailer court and appartment complex is more then 100 feet from the tracks.The field its self is at lease 400 feet wide if not more in fact I was standing on the edge of the field when I took the picture of the side boom cat...You should know the field in question since you have railfaned this area..

The last train wreck was 6 or 7 months AFTER the first derailment in the Col-San area round January 2000..I can not help but wonder if a derailment willl follow this one..

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Brian Schmidt said:
What's the name on that Cryo-Trans reefer? It's on the top quarter of the door...

They put names of cities on their car doors. I found one for my old home town of Modesto CA. Kind of makes looking at their cars interesting, looking for certain cities.

Greg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
brakie said:
By the time I got there around 9:15am they was in the process of dragging some of the cars away from the track.
The white boxcar isn't a boxcar but,a modern reefer like this:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=275653

Ah! That explains why they were so far off the track. I thought for a moment that it must have been a terrible wreck! Thanks for the info on the reefer.
Ralph

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I saw an overhead shot on one of the Toledo television stations last night. I didn't even realize that yard was up there. I've only been to Bucyrus while passing through going somewhere else and haven't explored the immediate area all that closely.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I guess the good news (if you can call it that) is that this appeared to happen near a field, and avoided any serious injury to the public or railroad employees.

Great pics, Larry!
:thumb:

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brian Schmidt said:
I saw an overhead shot on one of the Toledo television stations last night. I didn't even realize that yard was up there. I've only been to Bucyrus while passing through going somewhere else and haven't explored the immediate area all that closely.

I thought said said you been to Col-San railfanning and therefore I thought you knew the area...Shrugs..Must have been somebody else.:confused:

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I've been to the Colsan interlocking, but this was north of town. Last time was in June, I think. As I said, I've stopped in on my way through town to check it out but not spent much time exploring the surrounding area.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ok.I thought you said you been in this area and I figured you looked around for areas to take photographs from.:thumb: There are several good places and one excellent spot but,hard to get to.I use the Col-San are because of the CFE and WE.I am thinking of doing different locations starting next year.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Bucyrus is on my places to hit for a full day next spring. I just need to make sure in advance I'm going to catch some CFE and WLE action before I trek down there. The yards and such really don't interest me; those are generally where one goes to be harassed by railroad employees.

What I usually do is work with topo maps and check out the line in the country for potential photo locations. Sometimes I find them with a little research and others with a little luck. So long as I come home with some solid material I don't really care how it's obtained.

Regarding photo spots that are "hard to get to," I say the worse they are the better. The fewer people that take the same photo I am the more valuable it is to me.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brian,You need not worry about the Benson yard and being harass by railroad employees..Its use mostly for storing cars bound for Transco.
See?

Picture-018.jpg

One of the hard to get to spots is the bridge over the Sandusky River just above Col-San..
The reason its hard to get to is the trespassing on NS and private property but,it is a sweet place for photography.Yes I hiked up there and waited about 90 minutes and no trains..Of course within 15 minutes after I returned to my car a Eastbound went by.:cry:

BTW..Talk about a grab and shoot..I didn't even have time to use my tripod.

The first unit is a I &O unit.The 2nd is a CFE unit.

Pictureio.jpg

cfe.jpg