Excellent book, inspirational stuff....

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by wunwinglow, Feb 23, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Prelim report....

Well..... It works.

I left the sheet for 12 hours or so, and the ink dried, but if I wiped my finger moderately firmly on the image, it smeared away. However, with a protective strip of draughting (paper masking) tape on the back of my steel rule, it was perfectly possible to cut out the parts using the image.

Then, another little thought struck below the waterline....

I have a spray can of Gepe brand Inkjet Fixative Spray, I bought it from UK photo chain Jessops, but no doubt there are equivilant products elsewhere. A light spray over the image, 10 minutes to touch-dry and the image is completely un-smearable. No bleed while the fixative was wet, just clean crisp lines. I'll carry on cutting these first items out, then see if there is any inhibition from the fixative towards any adhesives or paints. No doubt it will be possible to abrade the fixative off the plastic once it has done its job, or possibly a solvent wipe will remove it; isopropanol, household ammonia, something like that maybe.

I think I might be ordering a load more styrene sheet tomorrow....

Tim

PS Anyone else interested in a PLASTIC card modelling forum?

PPS Sorry Gil, I missed your entry above about the acrylic matt spray! DOH! Thats just what I have done! Great minds.....

Anyway, it works!
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

Then we could take the models to IPMS meetings as plastic card models....., Raimund, your revenge is near at hand. On the same subject why not? Let's see if we can talk Ron and Rick into adding plastic card to the subtitle...., the down side is that it could have an unintended consequence on the membership going into the stratosphere once the plastic modelers wake-up to the "design your own airplane thing" that we're beginning. Today the World! Tomorrow the Universe! Onward! Upward! or Whatever!

Best regards, Gil
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

printing on plastic card.

http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/lct_hull_construction.html

It really does work! I'm working up some cockpit instrument panels, wood textures, that sort of thing as well, to print to see what the colour and detail is like on styrene sheet. I also bought some 1mm stock, but I haven't had the guts to try it yet...... What a wimp!

Tim
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

plastic sheet, the next chapter...

OK, good news, bad news....

The good news is, 1mm stock goes through my C82, although the print head just kisses the sheet if there is the slightest warp in it, and smears the image, but as I am printing bulkheads etc which will be painted, I am happy with this. Using 1mm stock means I can make some serious structures without having to laminate.

The bad news is, any areas of solid colour tend to 'blobulate' because the ink isn't absorbed (as it would be on paper) it collects in tiny droplets, so the image breaks up. So Unless you use very course print settings, anything other than a thin line is not very successful.

Hey, I am happy anyway!

Anyone else trying this yet?

Tim

PS I am trying to join IPMS-UK right now.
  5. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

HA ! nobody expects the spanish inquisition !!

any body with bad conscience :D ? if I am a purist, nobody else have to be one. If cardmodellers mix up the (I)p(MS)lastic hardliners, it's good for all scale modellers. The only thing I would like to work out is: paper/card modelling is not kids-stuff any more. At least, anybody ends at a mix of materials as in real life.

btw, I would like to build the LCT as a 'paper only' :wink: version, it looks really beautifull !

cheers from austria
    raimund
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Tim, Raimund,

Tim, a coat of PVA style primer paint on the styrene will work wonders for the inkjet printing application.

Best regards, Gil
  7. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Nice! Anything is better than gluing thick chunks of pre-moulded plastic into aircraft models. I love the fact that it all begins as sheet- just like the real thing (for the most part). And it's much more do-able for s scratchbuilder (at least inexperienced ones like myself). Combining printer technology with plastic sheet... intriguing...
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Nice! Anything is better than gluing thick chunks of pre-moulded plastic into aircraft models. I love the fact that it all begins as sheet- just like the real thing (for the most part). And it's much more do-able for s scratchbuilder (at least inexperienced ones like myself). Combining printer technology with plastic sheet... intriguing...
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Someone is really going through the old threads! :D
    Chris
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Someone is really going through the old threads! :D
    Chris