Excellent book, inspirational stuff....

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by wunwinglow, Feb 23, 2004.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

2. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Talk about re-inventing the wheel :roll:
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Sorry Mark, that comment went right over my head!

Tim
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

Great find! I spent better part of the evening going through the different build methods. This should be one of this sites links.

Best regards, Gil
  5. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Its been a couple of weeks but if I remember correctly it was in reference to the section in the book on cutting sheet styrene and using a flat two demension surface and forming it into a three demensional surface. Without vacuforming. Sorry I was feeling a little flippant that day.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Tim,

Glad you're back...,

A thought struck me about this book..., has anyone tried printing on styrene directly? Seems that this should work with the proper surface coating. Of course it isn't paper but it is "card" but the prospects look promising.

Best regards, Gil
  7. Peter H

Peter H Member

Way cool Gil. Camo/Insignia on foamies.

The nearest I can see this happening though is some kit to fit an easy to get printer to provide the printhead/platten clearance ?????
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Peter,

If HP inkjets are any indication it should work just fine. My wife is amazed that my printer still works after all the stuff I've tried putting through it. Don't taunt me though, I seem to have misplaced some 5 mil styrene sheet and am about 20 projects pushed down on the distraction stack...., Peter, I elect you fair and square to be the chief investigator of this. The thin foamie stuff should work????

Best regards, Gil
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

printing on styrene sheet

I tried it a while ago with my old Epson 740, but will put some through my new C82 and let you know what happens.

Well, its feeding...... 20thou /0.5mm stock, matt side up, set to photo paper gloss, best photo, black only....

Exciting isn't it!

First edge is coming through......

I can see some lines!

Ooooooh, this is looking good!

Owowowowowo!!!!!!

I'll let it dry, straight out of the machine I can still smear the lines, but this is looking VERY promising! Provided the ink dries firmly enough to cut out, this could be extremely useful! Thanks Gil for the push!

Tim
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

This is great...., new dimension to cardmodels..., it really never did say paper in the big print did it?

Best regards, Gil
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

brain flash....

I'm at work now, just had a thought. Even if the ink doesn't dry enough to make it sturdy on the plastic sheet, covering it with 'clingfilm' will protect it long enough to cut out. Then just peel it off to use the part.

Can't wait to get home and see how its turned out!

Tim
  12. neoneanderthal

neoneanderthal New Member

recidivist..... :)
  13. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

A friend ofmine who used to work for for comercial printing companies on the art staffs told me that those large vacuumformed beer sings and such are all printed on comercial inkjet printers using special inks. Just how "regular" inks will hold up is anybody's guess. One thing I'd really like to try is finding a laser that is on it's last legs and running some styrene through it. I know it would most likely fry the printer but that is why you use one on its last legs :? :?
  14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

special inks

Yes, I doubt if the conventional inkjet inks will be very stable on plastic, if at all. All I want is to be able to transfer the images to the material long enough to cut them out accurately. I'll paint the model just like a conventional scratchbuild model. If it works, I can bring CAD to bear on my modelmaking much more closely.

Neo. Recidivist? Oh yes....... And PROUD of it!

www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/sovremenny.html

Tim
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Don't laser printers fuse the ink to the paper on a heated roller? This might be, um, interesting, with polystyrene sheet!

Tim
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

You can print overhead films in a laser printer..., so what are you waiting for?

Best regards, Gil
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

One other thought..., after allowing the ink to "thicken" you might try using an acrylic matte finish. It seems to absorb/coat the ink and "fixes" it when dry.

Best regards, Gil
  18. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Yah, but Gil have you priced that stuff! :shock: :shock: Of course I wonder If they7 have it in the stationary supply at work (better not get caught! :lol: :lol: )
  19. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Most laser printers actually fuse a styrene based toner to the paper with heat. That's why I think you would most likely fry the printer. A few months back I was driving down the street and noticed a HP 4000 series laser on the curb with the operating software. Around here if its on the curb its fair game. Never did hook it up and wound up giving it to my brother. Kind of regret it now :? :?
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Everyone,

Mark, I have an HP laser printer 5M...., just haven't replaced the toner heater bar which has been broken for about two years now. Guess it's time to do it.

One thing came to mind after the last post...., coating the surface with PVA sealer allows the ink from the inkjet printer to penetrate and dry. The stuff is colored white. This shouldn't be a problem if you're printing on styrene sheet. HP overhead transparencies are expensive..., some of the store brands are cheaper but not as low in cost as those for Xerograpic copy use which will not work in an inkjet without the "special" coating that drives the expense up by 10x.

Best regards, Gil