Errol's Sidetrack Tavern (N Scale)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This one is dedicated to my friend Errol (kettlestack)...
Errol's place is in what some people might consider the "seedy" part of town.
A lot of folks have tried to convince Errol that he should sell the place, & move out to some strip mall in the suburbs.
But he's not having any of that. He's got his regular daytime lunch crowd, from the local factories, & the occasional train crew coming in for "beans". At night, he's got the local guys that come in to shoot some pool, & have a few beers. All Errol's customers know him as being quick with a cold beer, a hot lunch, a good joke, & it's rumoured that he can be quick with a "hog leg" he keeps behind the bar, in case things get a little too rough.
But out side of all that, the thing that's really keeping Errol here, is his love of trains. Right outside is a busy industrial branchline of the K&I RR...All that rumbling & clanging of the switchers going about their work is music to Errol's ears.
And Errol lives in the apartment above the bar, so he's never very far from work, or the trains that he loves!

Attachments

• mvc-020f.jpg
    mvc-020f.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 198

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's a trackside view...any railfan could understand why Errol wouldn't want to give up that view!

Attachments

• mvc-021f.jpg
    mvc-021f.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 192

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I'm mooned!

My wife and I are tickled pink that you should even think about such a theme Charlie..... What a terrific surprise!:)

Methinks you should pop in for a slug of Pappy's special 40yr old "Mountain Dew" that I keeps under the counter for my special customers. :D
The guys who frequent my place are the salt of the earth who are more in need of "sleeping it off" under the pool table than the threat of the "hog leg" :)
My my my!, I was thinking of doing the place up with a lick of paint but as that would kill the atmosphere, I trashed the idea. I kinda love it the way it is, also it wouldn't look right me walking out in a red tuxedo and bow tie to hand the switcher crews their lunch in brown bags! :D :D

It's a lovely theme,a great story, a super model and a charming thought. Thank you my friend, you made my day.

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That car might not be Errol's, but it just might belong to a friend of his, & NOBODY messes with Errol's friends! ;)

Thanks for the kind words, guys...
That was just one of those little DPM storefront buildings that I slapped a few odds & ends onto...
When I got it done, it kind of reminded me of one of mine, & my wife's favorite little local bars...cheap billiards, & Bass Ale on tap...
like you said Errol, "charming"...so I didn't have to give too much thought to whose name I would put on it :).
So if you're ever in the "Bluegrass State", Errol, we'll stop in, & all the beers are on me!:)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Charlie,
Love the photo's. Bluegrass state, I love bluegrass music myself, got it playing whilst I run the trains.

Shamus

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Shane,

If you insist on takeing the drink outside I'll need a $2 deposit on the glass!!!:D :D (I pay a local kid 25 cents to make sure that glass gets broken before you can bring it back in...:D :D )

I'm always thinking up new ideas for financing my models :) .

Errol

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
You serve beer in glasses, WOW thats a classy joint ya got there, The local watering hole here in town only serves bottles. Sad part is I've never been in there. I do know both the bar wenches.