Erie R-1 heads to the shop for overhaul

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Blake, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Blake

Blake Member

Erie R-1 2-10-2 steam loco heads to the shop for overhaul

Here is one of my favorite locos. It's an Alco models HO Erie 2-10-2 class R-1. I painted it a long time ago and now it's time to do it better. It was re-motored with a Mashima can motor as soon as I got it (around 15 years ago) and it is now DCC equipped so I can operate on Gary's layout. This time I intend to use better decals, install an operating headlight and a new gearbox. Here is one last photo shoot before it gets redone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Lackawanna Jim

Lackawanna Jim Member

Blake;

You know I've always been partial to this model! I think it's painted just fine; but, the caliber of your work now will eclipse your older work, for sure... I Look forward to the results!

Jim :cool:
  3. Blake

Blake Member

Thanks Jim, It's more than just the paint job. I think I can make it run even better too. When I painted this loco, I don't even think I cleaned it all that well prior to starting it. I see allot of paint chipping off now. On top of that, I used Champ decals. Back then, they looked like scotch tape. Even in the photos you can clearly see the film. This time, I'm using Microscale decals.
  4. Blake

Blake Member

Looks like I was able to repair the loose gearbox, still may want to replace it with a NWSL one though. Trying to fit her with a flywheel but it looks like it's going to be tough.