Enterprise

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Modeler0421, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

Well, I finally completed my latest model. It took a lot longer than anticipated because I had less time to model, and many more details to add as things progressed. I suppose I sort of got into one of those moods where I figured if I was going to do it, I'd leave no detail out.

So I set out to do a complete build of Paragon's revised Enterprise but wound up combining its best elements with the best elements of Rawen's model, and heavily modifying the components of both. On this model the primary hull and engines are Rawen's; the secondary hull, neck, impulse engines and lower warp engine cowlings are Paragon's.

I added the extra siding to the secondary hull, the 3D structure to the neck, extended the slope underneath the secondary hull, thinned the saucer, redesigned the bridge, added some texture to the impulse engines, and combined Rawen's and Paragon's design for the sensor dome underneath the saucer. Anyways, there are pictures that can show you the model better than I can describe it, so let me know please what you think.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      115.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      100.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      133.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      90.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      172.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Great build ! What's in store next?
  3. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Maico that's fantastic, it wasn't until I saw the close up shots that I realised that it was made of paper. I wish I could make stuff like that!

Why not try a blue screen job and let's see it warping through space....

I've done this for you...(you have used a flash so the your Enterprise was a little bit bleached out, but it came out ok). I tried to recreate that famouse matte painting of the original Enterprise.

Enjoy.
    [​IMG]
  4. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

Wow Julian, very impressive! When I did the model I never realy imagined seeing it flying through space haha. How did you do that by the way? My knowledge of image editing is very sparse - I made all those changes to the model by hand.

And Maico: I'm not sure what's next. I was thinking of doing a model offered by Paragon of the USS Hood. I like the design but have less and less time to work on one. I was pushing to get this one done. It took me two weeks.
  5. trekman1017

trekman1017 Member

6. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Modeler 0421,

In answer to your question, I used Photoshop Elements. I am pretty much self taught but if you wanted to do stuff like this there are tons of easy to follow tutorials on You Tube on how to do loads of really cool stuff.

Anyhow, you need to have a good subject to begin with and Maco's Enterprise just wanted to go into space.
  7. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

The Photoshop picture looks not bad, but it has one big fault: The bussard collectors of the "new" Enterprise are blue, not red;)

C U
    Marko
  8. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

Thanks Julian. Do you know of any other programs besides Photoshop (which is pretty expensive isn't it?) that do similar things?

Also, just fyi the enterprise model on this thread is mine, not Maico's.... Not a big deal, but after two weeks of work I wanted to point that out, haha.
  9. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

I felt this build deserved it's own thread so moved it here, somehow it got my name on it. apologies.
  10. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Modeler0421,

Great model by the way...

In answer to your question I use Photoshop Elements which is the cheaper version of Photoshop, I've just seen it on the web for £35 British pounds, which isn't much considering what you can do with it.

Most people just use it to touch up their family photos but it can do so much more. I first started using it to create brochures for my business and quickly got to grips with it.

If you do invest in a copy I'd look at some of the tutorials on You Tube, just yesterday I learned how to make a light sabre, which can also be used to create all sorts of laser and lighting effects.

If you get stuck I will try to help. Just remember, you need to learn to walk before you can run.

If you post some more images of your lovely Enterprise I'd love to do some more cool stuff for you. Take some images of it in natural light instead of in a room with a flash, it makes it easier to work with.

All the best,

Jules
  11. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

I appreciate the vote of confidence in giving it it's own thread. And no worries about the name confusion.
  12. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

Jules, very cool. Money is tight right now but maybe when it isn't I'll invest in the program. I'll take a few more pictures and see what you can do with them!
  13. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

I think we might be on the verge of a new hobby combining model building and video imagery. An artform once confined to studio special effects departments.
  14. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Maico, it's great fun...

Here's another for you guys... (still I could do with a better image as yours are a little low res).

Enjoy (smiley!).

[​IMG]
  15. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

Jules, I won't be able to get you any more pics today, but I can get you some tomorrow probably. I'll post them in the maximum resolution I can, and then I'll see what you can do with them. Great job on the second one too - I like that one.
  16. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Jules is quite an artist. I enjoy the same sort of intergalactic photography. (die-hard trekkie)
  17. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Re the photo's, don't put yourself out on the account of me, it's only a bit of fun...

With regards,

Jules
  18. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

I don't think you understand Jules how nifty it is to have a model you built be put center stage in a diorama like you create (just having "a bit of fun")
  19. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Maico, I did this for someone who built a huge Super Star Destroyer.

The poor fella spent about a year making this amazing model out of cardboard and plastic sheet and he only had a few, quite poor images to show for it. I felt that justice needed to be done so I just edited his images into a cartoon style piece and put them on his post. He was thrilled.

I'm not sure how some people might take it, so I just pop up occasionally and produce images as a little treat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

I guess you know us sci-fi diehards love this stuff. This sort of imagery manipulation opens doors for game designers, story writers, diorama builders, and of course...the odd dreamer such as me.