Engines: How tall is too tall?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you get an nmra standards gauge, you will notice it is shaped like a tunnell openning. It sets the minimum standards for a tunnell openning in the scale you choose. If you set the gauge on the tracks (with power off of course) a locomotive stack must be low enough to pass under the top of the gauge.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Since you're just bashing something up, I assume you're not following a prototype. The NMRA gauge, mentioned above, would be the most obvious thing to use. However, some roads had clearance restrictions. NYC, for example could never run dome passenger cars or three deck auto racks due to height restrictions. The domes would've crashed into the tunnel entrances to GCT. There were other ;ow clearances along the Hudson division. The Erie, on the other hand, had no such restrictions and could, and did, build enormous Berkshires.

If you'd like to model a really tall stack, just bear in mind you'll need to build your railroad with sufficient clearance.

Gary

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
TC
I have a feeling that stacks should be just about the height of the cab roof, or possibly a little higher. Some of the early locos (Rocket, deWitt Clinton, John Bull) with no cabs did have great long pipes for chimneys. I think this was to draw the fire better. The later locomotives with huge boilers had almost no stack at all -- it would have been all inside.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks guys :thumb:

Good tip Russ. I checked out the nmra standards and found out the tunnels are to be 22 feet tall from the track surface. So my bash is ok at 19.5 feet.

Gary, your right. Good thing I'm building my engines first and the layout later on, to fit, so to speak.

60103, no way can my stacks be the same hight as the cab, as the cab is only slightly taller than the boiler. I am making my own head lamps and I find the lamp makes the taller stack look right. (to me anyway) I'm modeling in the turn of the century so it is the time of the big spark-catchin' stacks.;)

I will post pics soon.

TrainClown

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hey TC!

There is a short article in the April 2003 MR about "retractable" stacks that were made for (name escapes me now, of course) RR, which had very tight clearances on the bigger steamers. The stack had a telescoping part that was put up for better draw on the smokebox, but could be lowered for really tight tunnels.

There was a scissor type arrangement on both sides of the stack that was activated by a steam (what else) cylinder. Apparently, these detail parts are not widely available anymore...

I'll see what else I can find...

Andrew

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by TrainClown

Good tip Russ. I checked out the nmra standards and found out the tunnels are to be 22 feet tall from the track surface. So my bash is ok at 19.5 feet.

If you have an engine house or roundhouse planned, you might check its' opening. The several plans I have range from 16 to 20 feet. In fact, one roundhouse plan I have ranges from 16 to 20 feet depending which door you pick :D :D :D Nothing wrong with NMRA standards, but you want to make sure they will work for you. Of course, there's always the smoke stack-ectomy if it turns out to be a foot too tall one day :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
The opening is 17.5 feetish

I believe the chimney is designed to raise up 4 or 5 ft, then be lowered over the lokeys smoke stack after the lokey is in place. I'm sure there's a schmardt guy out there that can confirm. If so, the 16 or 16 1/2 foot clearance under it woud not be a factor, but the 17 1/2 foot opening to get in would be for sure.

Attachments

• rhstall.jpg
    rhstall.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 135

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Santa Fe used these on some of their modern steam, don't know who or if other roads used them as well.

Looked at that short article (it is indeed the April 2003 MR). They mention only ATSF as having the exenders, and note that no one they know of currently produces the detail parts required.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by MasonJar

Looked at that short article (it is indeed the April 2003 MR). They mention only ATSF as having the exenders, and note that no one they know of currently produces the detail parts required.

Andrew

Santa Fe had very few tunnels, so they put those "top hats" on their big steam locomotives to lift the smoke up and over the cab. With the stack extended, they were too tall for the tunnels, so they had that linkage seen in the close up to allow the engineer to lower the stack when approaching a tunnel.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I was looking for reference photos for an AT&SF 4-4-2 that is a close match for the MDC 4L1 Atlantic kit, that I'm assembling for the Maricopa Express Youth Railway. When I saw these photos I remembered this thread.