Engineer Kyle's Entry/Winter '07 Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions & Challenges' started by EngineerKyle, Nov 22, 2007.

1. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Notes regarding the “Alabaster Bible Church” kitbash

11/7/2007

[​IMG]

This project came about as I headed up a Model RR forum challenge. First, I felt a cardboard mock up was in order to consider all the possibilities.

[​IMG]

I made some free standing modules that were about the size and shape of the 4 quarters of the building and considered a hotel.

[​IMG]

I liked this best. The cross shape reminded me of a gothic church layout.

[​IMG]

So I sketched out the Alabaster Bible Church.

[​IMG]

Now it was time to get it home and get to work. My design was based partly on the fact that I didn’t want to fuss with modifying all of those little soffets, and this plan keeps most of them intact. I will only have to cut away one of the roof angles, and a few passes with a scalpel took care of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find I use a lot of cardboard and tape during this stage of development. Here I’m making a longer roof.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, I had a snap together church that was cannibalized for a steeple, walls and such. A framework was needed to mount the styrene addition to. I used cardboard for this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That nice big window, along with proper lighting, will allow for a good interior view. The tile floors are “Crackle Paint” sample cards. A couple lead pews and some HO figures should be a nice added touch when viewing the completed piece.

[​IMG]

Let’s take it outside for a coat of primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it’s time to find a place for the church on the layout. There was a playground and ballgame going on here, but I’ve decided to strip that and freshen the whole area up with the church.

[​IMG]

I’ll take a rubbing of the track and cut a template. During this stage of the project, I’ll place the structure on the template facing many different directions, trying to choose the most realistic and aesthetic orientation.

[​IMG]

That looks about right.

[​IMG]

A little tracing will get me the right sized base for the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The piece has a second coat of paint now, and it’s time for some mud. I use tinted stucco patch for this. It’s a good time to embed some details.

[​IMG]

Those little rocks are from the auto parts store. It is the material used to sop up oil spills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This project is just about done, It will need some trees, figures, signage and more vehicles to bring it to life. All and all, a neat, peaceful scene for an HO model railroad.

[​IMG]

click on the images below to view full sized.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Winter Building Competition 2007

Engineer Kyle’ Entry

The Alabaster Bible Church

This piece may be more than 25 percent kit, so if it's disqualified, I'll do a sanding tower out of a tube and a pizza tripod.

Thanks again for heading this up!

:wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. scubadude

scubadude Member

Bad-to-the-Bone!! :thumb:
  4. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Thanks Richard.... * Bump *
  5. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

That's a great looking church Kyle! You blended the elements of the kit with scratch work very nicely.
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

...Makes me wanna grab my Bible and go a-running to service..!!! :mrgreen:

Good job..!!:thumb: