Engine stopping.

ovation1517

I have set up a small oval for the first time in years. The engine is one that I built from a kit about 10 years ago and always worked well. Now, after I run the train for about 30-40 minutes, the engine stops. I put a meter on the power supply screws and this is what happens.
When the engine is running, the needle goes all the way up. When the engine is stopped, the needle is stuck at 0. When I lift the train off the track, there is a little pause(2-3 seconds), then the needle goes back up again.
I did oil the engine.
Does this sound like a power supply problem or an engine problem?

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Dragon

Actually, it sounds like either a short circuit (but no idea why so intermittant) or the breaker in your transformer popping. Maybe due to the load of the older motor?

Have you made sure the track, wheels, and all contacts are completely clean?
What kind of draw is the engine pulling as it runs? Maybe the Amps are exceeding your transformer's capacity, thus a breaker popping until it resets (after you pull the engine off the rails.)

Michael

dhutch

yeah, sounds very much like the thermo-cut-out on your transformer is triping out (and then back ina few seconds after the load is removed)

- it could be to motor is drawing more as it ages and becomes demagnesied

- or the tranformers cut out may be geting more sensotive

If you can, get a your meter and measure the current your drawing from the transformer, and compair that with the tranformers output details.

daniel

Pooh Bah
Chris:
Is your motor accessible? Can you see if it gets hot after running? Did you oil the motor shafts?
What gauge or scale are you in?
I agree with Daniel that you should also measure the amperage.

ovation1517

Happy Holidays

Sorry for the delay in response, the holiday's have kept me busy. I think after hearing everybodies responses I am going to invest in a new power supply. I don't even know where I got the one I'm using, so I think it's worth the money to just get a new one.

I did oil the motor, and the engine didn't seem to get too hot, a little warm, but not too hot. I will probably pick up the new supply today, so I will let you know how that works out.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

ovation1517

Bought a new power supply and that solved the problem. Now everything is running smooth as butter!. Thanks for you help!