engine repair

belg

I just got an engine off of ebay that was described as being in "GOOD" condition ,but you have to see what this poor thing looks like is there any hope?????

Attachments

• pict0016.jpg
    pict0016.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 248

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Looks like a B&O C16a. If the mechanism works(or can be made to work) the rest is just details. Patience and a little playing with it, and it could be a nice loco.
Is that motor really from that engine?
If nothing else, look at the experience you'll gain by trying to make it work.
Pete

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I guess you have to be ready for anything when you buy from e-bay. As long as the price is OK then you don't mind getting it back to running order

brakie

That can be repaired..Its not a total basket case..I hope the motor still runs..You will need to fabricate a new front end to include the platform in front of the boiler,pilot beam and steps.This can be done by using ABS plastic shapes..The good part is most will be form for you..Use the "L' angle for steps,solid square for the pilot beam and flat for the front platform,small square for support bracing under the front platform..Grabs and front boiler bracing to the boiler plate(front platform) use .010 wire(if it is N scale).015 for HO...

As far as that seller,a negative feed back seems to be in order.

hswn

N scale Atlas 0-4-0 pilot

I have two of these loco's [one running] second I just got of E-bay. Kadee did offer a conversion kit for pilot and tender, this would now be offered by micro trains but you may have to look for it. I was looking at a site on the net a week ago which offered replacement motors for Atlas steamers the 0-4-0 included, now if I could find that site again.
Brady

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Welcome to the Gauge hswn
Challenging eh! I have never bought anything from e-bay and may have missed some good deals but after reading the experiences you folks have had, I don't think I missed anything

Blake

It's funny, I hear allot of bad things about purchases on Ebay but I have done quite well. In fact, I just got an EL N scale trainmaster with MTL couplers installed for a total of $28.