Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by UP SD40-2, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

always a treat deano---thanks for sharing,nutbar
  2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Deano,

You keep this up I might actually WANT some diesels on my layout (UP's , of course...) Great shots....!

You all have a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR & A GREAT 2007...!!! sign1
  3. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

As usual, i wish your amazing skill would rub off on me ( maybe they will). Great work!

Hey, do you have any DD35s, or turbines in your line up? I've been spying one of those lionel Verandas.
  4. green_elite_cab

yeah, UP diesels have been leaking onto my layou since i started, and now i only want to add more yellow to my big blue fleet. I see alot of UP diesels up here in North Jersey ( C44-9Ws, SD70Ms)
  5. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

FIRST, Gus, nutbar, and g_e_c, THANKS GUYS!, for the kind words!:D

g_e_c, YOU BET i have a DD35:thumb:(pic below), I have a Veranda turbine in N scale, looked for a pic of it, cant find the folder, i have the unit in a box here, I'll take a pic later today and post it:thumb:.

Steven, here is a pic of the AMD-103 i put a sound decoder in, and did a couple small touches to for dad:thumb:.

the last two pics are rejects i took for this months contest:rolleyes:tooth1.

THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 33948 View attachment 33949 View attachment 33950 View attachment 33951

Attached Files:

• g1.JPG
      g1.JPG
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
    • g2.JPG
      g2.JPG
      File size:
      57.9 KB
      Views:
    • g3.JPG
      g3.JPG
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
    • g4.JPG
      g4.JPG
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Steve!:wave:, here are a couple shots of the "N scale empire" dad and i built about 6-7yrs ago, that we talked about the other night:thumb:. we had this layout about 90% complete before we tore it down. i still have all the engines, cars, etc., but will probably never do N again. EDIT: note the scratch built chopper i made. and notice the SD40-2 snoot nose, even have these in N scale(3 in HO). Hmmm, i wonder who's UP pics those are hanging up;), the WSOR pic is dads. :D -Deano View attachment 33952 View attachment 33953 View attachment 33954 View attachment 33955 View attachment 33956

Attached Files:

• g5.JPG
      g5.JPG
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
    • g6.JPG
      g6.JPG
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    • g7.JPG
      g7.JPG
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
    • g8.JPG
      g8.JPG
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
    • g9.JPG
      g9.JPG
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

**new Engine!!!, #59!!!

OK FOLKS, this makes the third post I have done today on this thread:rolleyes::D, trying to catch up on it as i have been real busy, so i haven't spent much time updating this thread:(.

First pic: the last of the pics of the N scale layout i wanted to show Steve:thumb:.

Second pic: i am doing a camp ground on dads layout, and put in a small beach type place on it. i used "magic water", and i am 100% happy with that product!:thumb:. i AM NOT EVEN CLOSE to finishing the campground yet, in fact, i have stopped working on it and started building an above ground HUGE train station for the layout. sorry, no pics yet, want to get farther along first. after i get done with the station, i will get back on the camping area:thumb:.

Third pic: the team track i done, that i was talking about with a good friend this week;).

Fourth AND Fith pics: MY NEWEST ENGINE!!!:D an Alco RS-32:thumb: i LOVE this engine, of ALL the Alco's made, the RSD-15's(i have a GBW one of those)and the RS-32's are my FAVORITE!:D this brings my engine total up to...59!!!:thumb: i cant wait to start on this one, i am putting it on top priority on my list of about 5000 projects:D. the engine is straight out of the box in these pics. Hmmm...the RSD-15, RS-32, and the SD40-2SN are my all time FAVORITE engines:D, i think i am seeing a pattern here...tooth1. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 33957 View attachment 33958 View attachment 33959 View attachment 33960 View attachment 33961

Attached Files:

8. NSES44DC

NSES44DC Member

Wow...you do some amazing work there deano! I always love coming to this thread!
  9. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Deano!!!!!!!!!!!
    jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
    I am completely blown away!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    I could spend more time commenting on your posts than you spent actually posting it in the first place.
    You need to post more pics of the awesome "N-scale empire"!!! I can't say enough about it, except.....MORE MORE MORE!!!!
    Your campground scene looks sweet....and the water is fantastic (how deep is it?) I like the shadow from the canoe:thumb:
    Oh yeah.....love the pics that DIDN"T make it into the contest...they look like winners to me!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    nice team track :thumb: ...that gives me an idea........
  10. viperman

viperman Active Member

Deano, I thought the loco you were doing up for dad was a CNW unit, not am Amtrak. Eh, whatever, still looks good, but I'm not a fan of Amtrack or those locos.
    That N scale layout looks good. I've thought of switching to N over the years, but I like my HO.
    That campgrond scene looks nice, I plan on using the same stuff on my layout when I start building the river and logging pond. Think the pond is a bit small for those boats though
    I like that RS-32. I too like CNW a lot. If I had a lot of money, I'd be collecting C&NW, UP, BN, BNSF, EJ&E, and probably even Metra
  11. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hi deano---those pictures from your father's layout are excellent---it's easy to see where your inspiration and talent came from---best regards and kudos to your dad,nutbar
  12. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Jeff, Steve, Steven, and nutbar, THANK YOU!!!:D you guys are VERY KIND:D.

Steven, you are 100% correct, the boats are to big for the pond, I'm going to 86 em;). i too am NOT a big fan of the new Amtrak engines:rolleyes:, but its not mine, so it don't much matter. dad rode Amtrak from Chicago to LA and back, so he really likes them.

The "campground scene" is NOT even really a "scene" yet, i just put the pond in, airbrushed the bottom of it, put sand in it, and poured in the "Magic water". thats it, i haven't even finished the pond, let alone started the campground. all that pic really shows is what the "Magic water" looks like, and where the campground will be;). i plan on putting some dry sand around the pond in spots, and grass around it in some spots, a tree with a kid on a tire swing, etc. i have tents and campers to place around it too. i have dropped doing the scene for now, but will start on it again after i finish the HUGE above ground station i am working on:thumb:.

Steve, THANKS for the complements on the "N Empire":D. it was pretty neat, though we are regretting spending the small fortune on it:rolleyes: because neither of us will do N again. but it was fun doing it:thumb:. honestly, i have a card table in my room with N scale track on it, but theres TONS of boxes of my HO stuff under it, and piled on top of it. i keep hoping my son would get interested in it but he's 13, and trains IS NOT his thing:rolleyes:. i keep meaning to build a display shelf to put my N scale engines on, but there are about 5000 projects ahead it it right now:rolleyes:.

THANKS FOLKS!:D -Deano
  13. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

That N scale layout is very impressive,:thumb: :thumb: and I really like that teamtrack scene on your Dad's layout too! Nice work.

Wayne
  14. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

WOW, nice work!!!!!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Deano, that n-scale layout looked very good :thumb: :thumb: . When I started model railroading a few years ago, I started in N, because it seemed the most reasonable choice considering the space available for my model railroad. But after a while I found out that n-scale is to small for me and switched to HO. As you might know, I love to scratch build and I think it is nearly impossible to do it right to scale in N . Another important reason was that I never got the right feeling for the size of the trains. I always had the feeling to look at an aerial photo when looking at my layout. Why did you tear your n-scale layout down after you got so far?

Your RS-32 is a beauty. I can understand that you like it so much :wave: .
  16. green_elite_cab

Those are amazing!

i like the bridge supports, they look like the ones that are around here ( as opposed to the Rix ones, of which i have seen no prototype)
  17. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

This makes 59 engines on my roster...

FIRST, i would like to thank Wayne, cedarcreekrr, Kurt, and g_e_c for the VERY KIND words!:D THANK YOU!!!:D:D:D:D

OK, folks, this engine makes 59 on my engine total so far!:D i bought this engine to run on dads layout, i think it will fit in quite nicely as his layout is set up(mostlytooth1)for CNW 1950-69. its an RS-32, the CNW only had ONE of these#4242, but CNW had several RS-36's and they look almost identical;). of ALL the Alco's made, the RSD-15, and the RS-32/36's are by far my FAVORITES:thumb:.

This engine is my FIRST Atlas Trainman engine i have bought. i was surprised to see how good the quality of this engine was, since its from Atlas's cheaper line:thumb:. the motor is the SAME as in the better Atlas engines, and the detail on the shell was VERY GOOD. honestly, the ONLY thing i found that separated this engine from the better Atlas engines was the lack of grab irons and hoses on the shell. the circuit board had a socket for a decoder/sound decoder, and the socket was NOT sloppy:thumb:. the bad thing was there was next to NO ROOM in the engine for the MRC Brilliance sound decoder and speaker i was going to install in it:(. i 86'ed the circuit board to give me room, and "hot wired" in the MRC Brilliance sound decoder;). in engines of this type, i usually put the speaker in the cab, but there just wasn't any room to do that in this one. i pulled the rear weight out, and shaved it down enough to make room for the speaker:thumb:. the engine now runs smooth as silk, and sounds GREAT!!!:D

Heres what i have done, installed an MRC Brilliance sound decoder, put on all weather windows, a rotating beacon, a Sinclair antenna, hoses, coupler cut bars and a CNW/UP type plow. i painted the classification lights, all the EXTRA parts put on, and the air tanks. i also weathered the trucks, air, and fuel tank.:D

PIC 1- a CNW RS-36.

PIC 2- the engine brand new, right out of the box.

PICS 3-5- these pics are of the engine AFTER i had finished it.

:D -Deano View attachment 34127 View attachment 34128 View attachment 34129 View attachment 34130 View attachment 34131

Attached Files:

• al.JPG
      al.JPG
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
    • al1.JPG
      al1.JPG
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:
    • al2.JPG
      al2.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • al3.JPG
      al3.JPG
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
    • al4.JPG
      al4.JPG
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
  18. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Ok

This has got to be the best thread I have ever spent time reading!!!! AWESOME!!!

Deano: You have the coolest set-ups I have ever seen! GREAT pics too. Love the layouts!!! You do an AWESOME job of "weathering" too!!! :thumb:

Thanks for a GREAT thread to read and get idea's
  19. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

LocoIndy76:wave:, WOW!, THANK YOU!, so much for the complements:oops::D. I'm GLAD you find enjoyment in this thread:thumb:. THANKS!:D -Deano
  20. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Deano
    A very ordinary engine has now become something ANYONE would be proud to have grace their layout or collection! Really nice work and sweet pics to set it off!
    I told ya!;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.