Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessie4155

Miles, That was an awsum video. :thumb:

The Engines on display at Kenefick Park, aren't they the ones that were on The Learning Channel or maybe it was History Channel ? I remember watching them move some huge engines on Mega Movers.
BTW This is a fantastic thread..

UP SD40-2

chessie4155 said:
Miles, That was an awsum video. :thumb:

The Engines on display at Kenefick Park, aren't they the ones that were on The Learning Channel or maybe it was History Channel ? I remember watching them move some huge engines on Mega Movers.
BTW This is a fantastic thread..
Mark:wave: , you are RIGHT!!!:thumb: ,those ARE the same engines that was on one of those channels!;) i have seen it a couple of times, they show it about 4 times a year:thumb: . and THANK YOU!!!:D, for the VERY NICE complement!:D -Deano

viperman

Been in service for a while now, eh? Sure looks like it's been put through the paces a few times, and lemme guess, keeps coming back for more. hehe. Great weathering Deano!

Nazgul

Deano
Great job!:thumb: VERY VERY realistic! I like the "ragged edge" as well:thumb: :thumb:
But then again....what's not to like?!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I too like the ragged edge Deano, It looks sooo cool:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

How did you do it, pare of pliers and just a couple of snips??

O and the weathering, don't even get me started on it, IT LOOKS FANTASTIC, NICE FADDING OF THE LETTERS TO, WAY TO GO Deano:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: another great piece of rolling stock!!

UP SD40-2

Kurt, Steve, Josh, and Steven:wave:, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!, for the complements:D . i made the bulges in the sides of the car by using a soldering gun to heat it up, then used my finger to push out a bulge, i ALSO used the soldering gun to make the ruff edges on top of the gon:thumb: . THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano

Nazgul

Deano
"So it's the old soldering gun and finger push in the side of the model railroad car trick"
-Maxwell Smart:D :D :D

UP SD40-2

Nazgul said:
Deano
"So it's the old soldering gun and finger push in the side of the model railroad car trick"
-Maxwell Smart:D :D :D
THATS right Steve, and "'i would have got away with it, if it wasnt for those meddling kids" -EVERY bad guy cought by Scooby doo & his crewtooth1 stooges8 :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Engine #11 Finished

AS i have mentioned before, sure UP is by far my FAVORITE road;) , but i ALSO have interest in D&RGW, CNW, GBW, the Milwaukee road, and WSOR:thumb: . Here is an engine i have seen in Janesville, its WSOR's #4008:thumb: . #4008 was originally built in 1974, and was sold new to UP:D . UP ran this engine as #3442 until it was sold to WSOR. **the model is an Athearn RTR, WSOR SD40-2. i installed an MRC Brillance sound decoder in it, all weather windows, replaced the plow with a UP/CNW type plow, put an MU socket on it, MU holder, coupler cut bars, hoses, and weathered the lower half of it:thumb: . 1st pic, the prototype. 2nd pic, out of the box. THE REST are of the engine finished:thumb: . THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 31400 View attachment 31401 View attachment 31402 View attachment 31403 View attachment 31404

Attachments

• ws1.JPG
    ws1.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 91
  • ws2.JPG
    ws2.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ws3.JPG
    ws3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 86
  • ws4.JPG
    ws4.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 89
  • ws5.JPG
    ws5.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 90

UP SD40-2

THANKS!!!, Josh & Steven:D **Steven, NICE pic!:thumb: i have seen that engine about 100 times:thumb: , it sits at the roundhouse in Janesville on most weekends;) . i bought my dad the Athearn model of that engine for fathers day last year, he loves it!:D if i can find one at a show for a reasonable price, i would pick it up for my collection. that SD40-2 ALSO was originally a UP engine, that WSOR bought off them. sorry, i cant remember the UP# it was:eek:ops: . THANKS!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

The Big Boy, some history/info

HEY FOLKS!:wave:, in lew of the "Post Your Steamers" thread, and a few other threads that have been the subject of steamers recently, i thought it would be kinda neat to do a little history/info on MY FAVORITE STEAMER...The BIG BOY!!!:thumb: The ONLY railroad that owned these was UP:thumb: . by the end of the 30's, UP needed bigger engines then the Challengers to get the growing freight trains up the Wasatch Mts. to eastern markets, without ANY helpers. to do this, UP commissioned the American Locomotive works(Alco) to make a more powerful engine then their Challengers. UP engineers, and Alco came up with a 4000 class engine, the 4-8-8-4. the engine ALONE was 85' 10'' long, with the tender added it was a total of 132' 10'' LONG!:eek: The engine weighed in at at staggering 1.2 million pounds!:eek: the tender could carry 28 tons of coal, and 25 thousand gallons of water. these engines could travel 75miles on easy terrain, and about 40miles on steep grades without stopping for water/coal:thumb: . the Big Boy could do up to 80mph on flatland, and slugged it out at 12mph up the steepest grade, with NO helpers. the average weight of the train these engines pulled was about 38 HUNDRED TONS!:eek: By the end of the 50's it was figured it would take 4 GP9's to equal the strength of 1 Big Boy!!!:thumb: In Sept. 1941 UP took delivery of the first of the 4000 class engines. these engines was to be called the Wasatch type, but that name did NOT go over well. on the smoke box door of the first 4000 class delivered, was a name scribed with chualk...Big Boy, and that became the name of these 4000 class engines:thumb: . UP made two orders of these engines, the first order was for 20 of them, numbered 4000-4019, and the last order was for five in 1944, 4020-4024. the last five of these were slightly heaver then the first order. these engines ran from Ogden Utah to Green River from 1941-1944, and then was expanded to North Platte Nebraska till the last run they made, on July 21st 1959. Just a note, the Big Boys DID have clearance to go as far west as Los Angeles, but NEVER did go farther west then Ogden. announce1 SOME MORE interesting notes, these engines were coal burners, however, #4005 was converted to an oil burner for 14 months, but was deemed unsuccessful, and converted back to coal;) . the Big Boys were NOT the biggest steam engines made, though they were the most successful of the large class steam engines:thumb: . 8 of these AWESOME engines are around TODAY!:thumb: sadly, NONE of them are running:( , nor probably ever will. contrary to how our models of these engines are made, ONLY the first set of drivers moved, the second set was stationary. fortunately for(me)those of us that have models of these, they made them so BOTH sets of drivers move:thumb:. if you were to make a prototypically accurate curve to run these "Monsters of the Wasatch", it would take a 40R curve to do it. I have more info on these AWESOME engines, but to spare you folks:eek:ops:, i will call this lesson FINISHED!:D announce1 Below are some pics of the Big Boys, the LAST PIC is MY Big Boy on my layout:thumb: . i hope some of you have enjoyed this:D. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 31444 View attachment 31445 View attachment 31446 View attachment 31447 View attachment 31448

Attachments

• bby1.JPG
    bby1.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 160
  • bby2.JPG
    bby2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 159
  • bby3.JPG
    bby3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 162
  • bby4.JPG
    bby4.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 164
  • bby5.JPG
    bby5.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 175

MilesWestern

WOW! I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED THAT! :thumb: Now there's some good publish-able work right there! Where did you find those pics, escpically the one with the chalk mark?!? That's brilliant! :)

cnw1961

Very interesting lesson in history. Nice story on how the Big Boy got his name. And the sight of this engine on the turntable is very impressive. Well done, Deano. :thumb: :thumb:

Nazgul

Deano
History has always been my favorite subject (except for lunch) and I believe that you may have missed your true calling:thumb: :thumb: Interesting and informative, albeit brief (I would like to hear more:) ) history of these magnificent giants. keep sharing:thumb:
Love the pics as well:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

steamhead

Absolutely awesome engine...Great pic of its baptismal "ceremony". The nameless guy that did that will live forever in the annals of RR history...

Status
Not open for further replies.